Photo
linux distribution which one to use?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Definitive: Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2012 edition) (382 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 tenpoundmouse

tenpoundmouse

Winner of the 100 metre egg & spoon race (1985-1987).

• Phone: Nexus 5 : Lumia 920

Posted 07 January 2012 - 14:41

Started with Ubuntu years ago (had a brief affair with Arch) but have recently fallen for Elementary OS.

#17 W3N4

W3N4

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2012 - 14:58

Archlinux.

Aaron Griffin put it very nicely: "If you try to hide the complexity of the system, you'll end up with a more complex system."

#18 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2012 - 15:10

I chose Mint. But, (yup, there's always a but.) I have a very old lappy running Ubuntu Hardy. Yea, I know Hardy is dead, but if you have a choice between XP and Linux, I always choose Linux.

Anyways, my actual prefrence these days would be if I had a system that would run it is Mint 12 with MATE DE as default. As second runners up would be Fedora.

I tried Arch several times, but never cared for it. I used the original Shift Linux and loved it. Was heart broken when it was changed to a new base.

LT

#19 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Win 8.1 Pro, iOS7, OSX 10.7, Ubuntu/WinXP system Died the Good Death

Posted 07 January 2012 - 15:15

Ubuntu, only other distros iv used is MadDog on previous PS3, before I switched to Ubuntu on it, and Mandrake 3 long time ago ( mandrake turned me away from *nix as a whole wasn't until Ubuntu 8 I think that I started Using it again

#20 DJD

DJD

Call me Danny

Posted 07 January 2012 - 15:25

Arch is really nice but due to time constraints its just not a viable option for me anymore. I switched from Ubuntu to Arch due to Unity.
But Arch became a bit wonky after time, might have something to do with me not merging config files when asked :shiftyninja:
Anyway I decided to give Ubuntu a spin again and Unity really Improved. And once it starts to annoy me I'll check out Elementary because it has a lot of potential.

So yeah, you guys just have to wait until the end of the year once I have made up my mind :rofl:

#21 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 07 January 2012 - 15:28

does android count :p

#22 Joey S

Joey S

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2012 - 15:50

Arch Linux. It melds the best of a source distribution like Gentoo with a binary distro. It also has just about every package under the sun in it's AUR.

yaourt -Syu ;)

Archlinux.
Aaron Griffin put it very nicely: "If you try to hide the complexity of the system, you'll end up with a more complex system."

That's very true.

#23 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 07 January 2012 - 18:21

Rocking Ubuntu with Unity here. Looking forward to the 12.04 release.

Heres my hopes for 2012:
> Wayland gets official graphics vendor support and is included in the 12.10 release.
> Stable version of Compiz 0.9.
> Valve release a preview of its steam client for Linux :p.
> My LibreOffice stops crashing in print preview mode :/

#24 sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson

GNU/Linux User

Posted 07 January 2012 - 20:33

Still using a mixture of Debian and FreeBSD here, mainly in a server environment.

#25 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 07 January 2012 - 20:50

I started with Ubuntu years ago, but I have used Debian primarily for a couple of years now. I have Debian Stable (Squeeze) on my laptop (one of the many reasons I love Debian is that it is one of the few distributions that still supports the PowerPC architecture as a primary release target), and Debian Testing (Wheezy) on my more powerful desktop (AMD64, not PPC). If I could vote for another distro, I would go with CentOS because I use it on my server due to its stability, support, and SELinux security policy.

Edit: For me, the best things about Debian are its rolling release repository (testing), stability, insane architecture support, and its repository utilities (Aptitude and Synaptic).

#26 paxa

paxa

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2012 - 23:40

littleneutrino +1.
for me there's nothing better than arch when using linux for a desktop.
for a server centos no questions asked

#27 Maccy1988

Maccy1988

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2012 - 23:07

Voted Debian, although could be tempted to give Arch a run this year when I get time.

#28 Mouettus

Mouettus

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2012 - 23:55

For those voting out of Ubuntu because of unity, you can still use KDE and I've just installed GNOME on it. With Docky, I find that it completes the experience very well, keeping the ubuntu a right choice for me because of hardware compatibility. The only problem I have is that it won't detect the progressive resolution of my tv. Only interlaced is available. ??

#29 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 09 January 2012 - 00:08

Quite enjoying Linuxmint 12 GNOME at the minute, seems much better built than Ubuntu's latest

Flash works full screen out of the box, Ubuntu's was like a slideshow on the same laptop

Multiple format Video files play without having to download extra codecs, I assume they were installed during setup

Only thing I have an issue with is it will not resume from sleep, which is what I always use with my Laptop

#30 MidnightDevil

MidnightDevil

Resident Evil

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:02

Elementary OS. I really think that these guys ideas and implementations for Linux it's the future all Linux distros should embrace.

I urge people to give them a try and get involved, this is how Linux should progress guys.

http://elementaryos.org/journal

I have a question for you.
Since ElementaryOS is based on Ubuntu 10.10, I'm assuming it's using the same ubuntu repositories, correct?
Once you update it, will it change things? I mean, breaking native distro things like the way the enviroment is designed, etc?
Because it's shipped with gnome 2.32, so auto-updates won't get gnome3 installed ?
How does that work ?
Tell me more, I'm downloading it now for it's simplicity, but if it's just another ubuntu based distro i'll eventually stick with Mint.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!