Photo
linux distribution which one to use?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Definitive: Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2012 edition) (382 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:13

I used to be Ubuntu but lately I've dug my hands into Arch Linux and just love it, I love how the pacman package manager works and how i can set up my system almost exactly how i want it

I also tried out Debian but the fact that they don't use the actual firefox really bugs me for some reason along with a few other things

#32 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:46

I have a question for you.
Since ElementaryOS is based on Ubuntu 10.10, I'm assuming it's using the same ubuntu repositories, correct?
Once you update it, will it change things? I mean, breaking native distro things like the way the enviroment is designed, etc?
Because it's shipped with gnome 2.32, so auto-updates won't get gnome3 installed ?
How does that work ?
Tell me more, I'm downloading it now for it's simplicity, but if it's just another ubuntu based distro i'll eventually stick with Mint.

I think you should wait for Luna, the next version. Right now Jupiter it's a great distro, but since it's heavily based on Ubuntu 10.10 it will ask you to "upgrade" to Unbuntu 11.04 and then serious breackage will occur.

This is what the devs recommend:

http://elementaryos....ort/answers/508

However, if you update the packages carefully Jupiter it's still a great minimal OS and a delight to use. It's just that Jupiter it's still more or less a normal distro. Luna will implement a lot of technologies the Elementary team have been developing, including a new launcher, new file explorer, web browser, GUI, control panel, etc.

#33 MidnightDevil

MidnightDevil

Resident Evil

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:26

I think you should wait for Luna, the next version. Right now Jupiter it's a great distro, but since it's heavily based on Ubuntu 10.10 it will ask you to "upgrade" to Unbuntu 11.04 and then serious breackage will occur.

This is what the devs recommend:

http://elementaryos....ort/answers/508

However, if you update the packages carefully Jupiter it's still a great minimal OS and a delight to use. It's just that Jupiter it's still more or less a normal distro. Luna will implement a lot of technologies the Elementary team have been developing, including a new launcher, new file explorer, web browser, GUI, control panel, etc.

I'll be waiting for it then :)

#34 Digital.K

Digital.K

Nonplussed.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 13:03

For my primary , I use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit with linux kernel v3, It's hard to let go of classic gnome and this version of Ubuntu is like so rock solid, a bulldozer couldn't knock it over. I decided to stick with 10.04 LTS although I do regularly test other distros on a desktop I have.

#35 GreenMartian

GreenMartian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 January 2012 - 13:16

Used to use Ubuntu, but got tired of upgrading every 6 months, with no guarantees that it will leave my machine in a usable state (I hate reinstalling & re-configuring from scratch).

Have moved on to Arch for about 2 years now, and never happier with their rolling releases.

At least with rolling releases, things usually break 1 at a time, as opposed to 50 different things breaking during an Ubuntu upgrade.

#36 vetsanctified

sanctified

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:05

As I continue my "support Elementary OS" campaign, I would like to share this entry of their blog:

http://elementaryos....ibutor-meetings

#37 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:30

Ubuntu. Depending on the situatuon I might use a different variant, but the base is pretty much always Ubuntu and I've always been super happy with it.

#38 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

Posted 16 January 2012 - 13:49

I used to be Ubuntu but lately I've dug my hands into Arch Linux and just love it, I love how the pacman package manager works and how i can set up my system almost exactly how i want it

I also tried out Debian but the fact that they don't use the actual firefox really bugs me for some reason along with a few other things

with archlinx is there a easy install guide like in ubuntu ? most i have seen are been done in a dos command style ( not a big deal ) just like to see a ubuntu style installer is all

#39 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

Posted 16 January 2012 - 13:56

with archlinx is there a easy install guide like in ubuntu ? most i have seen are been done in a dos command style ( not a big deal ) just like to see a ubuntu style installer is all

AFAIK there is no GUI installer for Arch. However, Im pretty sure there are a couple of distros based on Arch that do have it.

#40 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 January 2012 - 14:04

Zenwalk is my preferred distro, but playing with Xubuntu 11.10 right now. Never have much of a fan of Ubuntu, but they just might be on to something now. At least the last couple kernel updates or video driver updates haven't ruined my setup!!

I checked "other" even if Zenwalk is Slackware based.

When I first saw this topic on the front page, I was hoping it was a poll just for the sake of seeing how long the list of distros might be! Thought I might see a distro I hadn't heard of or tried before.

#41 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 16 January 2012 - 17:20

yes, right on the front of the ArchLinux web page there is a link to their "Beginners Guide" which is very well written and helpful

yes, most of the stuf at first (after the install, which takes you step by step) is done via command line (which isn't actually all that bad once you get used to the basic commands) but it's rather easy to install a GUI if you wish (refer to the beginners guide for that as well)

#42 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 16 January 2012 - 19:38

Linux Mint 12. Elegant. Easy to use. Unity-Free UI. Fast. It just works.

#43 vetsanctified

sanctified

Posted 16 January 2012 - 20:01

Seriously, why Elementary it's not more popular? These guys know what they're doing.

http://elementaryos....ext-details-hig

The way the rest of the Linux community ignores it will cause that Apple hire all these guys to plan their future GUIs and Linux will be again stuck with... well, with Unity and the likes.

#44 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:44

Seriously, why Elementary it's not more popular? These guys know what they're doing.

The way the rest of the Linux community ignores it will cause that Apple hire all these guys to plan their future GUIs and Linux will be again stuck with... well, with Unity and the likes.

I think it's fairly popular, considering they've only had one release so far. I think most people (myself included) are just waiting for Luna to really give it a shot.

#45 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

Posted 18 January 2012 - 00:16

could not get the cd to boot :/