Photo
linux distribution which one to use?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Definitive: Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2012 edition) (382 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#61 Princess Katie Pixie

Princess Katie Pixie

Princess Katie Pixie

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020/Moto G

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:04

The only linux distribution that I ever use and by far the best is Ubuntu. The rest isn't that great. I used to use ubuntu but not anymore since it's not easy to install Windows back when I instaled Linux.

#62 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 26 May 2012 - 19:04

I've been a fan of Fedora for a while, as Ubuntu was always garbage in the way it ran on the (literally) dozens of computers I've experienced it on. Ubuntu 12.04 though I've got to say it leaps and bounds better than my previous experiences, so I'll be voting it as my preference this year. :)

#63 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 May 2012 - 19:13

The only linux distribution that I ever use and by far the best is Ubuntu. The rest isn't that great. I used to use ubuntu but not anymore since it's not easy to install Windows back when I instaled Linux.

You do realize you can install Windows then a Wubi install of Ubuntu where it does not overwrite the boot loader... Ubuntu runs inside a directory inside a Folder on your Windows Drive in a compressed image. And can be removed from the Windows Add Remove in the control panel (programs and features depending on your Windows Version)

http://en.wikipedia....untu_installer)

This I would suggest for anyone first trying linux and worried about windows, or for anyone that does not wish Grub/grub2 to take over the boot loader. Or for someone who is a causal user that does not wish to run it in a VM.

#64 Dataslasken

Dataslasken

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 25 July 2012 - 13:20

Ubuntu. Simply due to the amount of documentation.

#65 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 25 July 2012 - 14:13

Parted Magic. It's the only Linux distro that has ever been useful to me.

#66 PrincessLuna

PrincessLuna

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia 3310

Posted 05 October 2012 - 17:45

I've always used KDE since I got a Suse cd from somewhere. I've been using Kubuntu since 7.04. Now running 12.10 development release.

#67 UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:42

I'm currently running Fuduntu 2012.4. An independent rolling release forked from Fedora. Rock solid stable here on a 5-year-old Dell Dimension E520. I'm really beginning to appreciate RPM based distros.

#68 Simmo3D

Simmo3D

Neowin V.I.P

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505

Posted 17 November 2012 - 00:24

So far Im absolutely loving Mint Linux 14 RC. Very fast and stable for me and works with everything I throw at it (well after enabling multiarch which will be fixed in the final release)
For anyone having issues installing 32-bit software in the 64-bit Mint RC (eg, Wine 1.5 will not install), type the following in Terminal:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt update

Currently downloading the latest testing version of Debian to try out since I have always loved that distro too, but I think Mint 14 is going to be a winner.

#69 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 17 November 2012 - 00:53

As I continue my "support Elementary OS" campaign, I would like to share this entry of their blog:

http://elementaryos....ibutor-meetings

ok ok :) im downloading the iso now to check it out :) not been a linux user since Buntu 8 or 9, but seeing as your so eager ill try it mate :) Certainly looking good on their site :)

As I continue my "support Elementary OS" campaign, I would like to share this entry of their blog:

http://elementaryos....ibutor-meetings

ok ok :) im downloading the iso now to check it out :) not been a linux user since Buntu 8 or 9, but seeing as your so eager ill try it mate :) Certainly looking good on their site :)

#70 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 17 November 2012 - 00:54

Slackware is the only Linux I would use.

#71 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:00

I suggest you to wait for Luna, their new version, to be released in the following weeks.

#72 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:22

I suggest you to wait for Luna, their new version, to be released in the following weeks.

Im gonna, but I did d/l the beta of luna to have a look as a live cd and all i can say is wow very slick :) Ill keep tabs on it from now on. cheers for the heads up Sanctified can see this gracing at least my old X1 Latitude if not my XPS M1330 :) dunno if itll make my desktop PC but thats a games rig.

#73 Stanca Laurentiu

Stanca Laurentiu

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia C3

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:30

Ubuntu and/or any other derivative. :)

#74 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:35

Parted Magic. It's the only Linux distro that has ever been useful to me.

I prefer gparted myself, I haven't really messed with Parted Magic. how's it compare?

#75 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:52

I prefer gparted myself, I haven't really messed with Parted Magic. how's it compare?

Parted Magic is more like a suite of useful storage-related tools than a single tool in Live-CD format: it includes GParted, Clonezilla, partition recovery tools, a web browser (Firefox, the list time I checked) and whatever.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!