I've just installed the expansion and completed the first mission so here's my verdict.

Casual gamers will be extremely disappointed because it's not a continuation of the story; it's a mod. Even the intro graphics are the same. It is basically the same game with a new twist to it. The tech tree is the same with a new added branch.

The download file is more than seven gigs. I've noticed some changes to the graphics, like the textures look more brushed up and I'm enjoying the new maps! If you are a hardcore XCOM player, this is your early XMAS present :)

I've just installed the expansion and completed the first mission so here's my verdict.

Casual gamers will be extremely disappointed because it's not a continuation of the story; it's a mod. Even the intro graphics are the same. It is basically the same game with a new twist to it.

The download file is more than seven gigs. I've noticed some changes to the graphics, like the textures look more brushed and I'm enjoying new maps! If you are a hardcore XCOM player, this is your early XMAS present :)

Let us know how much content is involved.  They only packaged it with the full game for consoles (I have it on PS3) and if it's a really nice expansion (ala Shivering Isles or Thrones of Bhall), I'll do it.

Let us know how much content is involved.  

I don't know how to measure it but this expansion basically adds new maps, units, talents, and probably buildings and items/weapons. And it adds a new tactical element where your loot depends on how fast you complete your missions. This game now favours a more aggressive play-style. 

• 6 months later...

Love me some XCOM so here's a healthy injection of news:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown coming to Linux this Summer

Posted: 27.05.2014 11:36 by nickhorth1

Feral Interactive will bring XCOM: Enemy Unknown and all its DLC content, including expansion pack Enemy Within, to Linux operating systems this Summer, the developer has announced.

The Linux version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown will be a SteamPlay title that runs on Ubuntu 14.04 and Valve?s SteamOS.

?We?re thrilled to have been given the opportunity to bring XCOM: Enemy Unknown to Linux,? said David Stephen, Managing Director of Feral Interactive. ?It?s an amazing game and we are hopeful that Linux gamers will welcome this addition to their platform.?

It certainly is an amazing game. Check out more about the Linux version on Feral's website here. More information on pricing will be revealed closer to the Summer release date.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/28292/xcom-enemy-unknown-coming-to-linux-this-summer

-----

Rumor: XCOM Enemy Unknown ? The Complete Edition To Launch On PS Vita
by Francesco De Meo on May 5, 2014

xcom_enemy_within.jpg

XCOM Enemy Unknown ? The Complete Edition is apparently going to be released on PlayStation Vita soon, according to a retailer listing that has surfaced online today.

Retailer Tesco currently lists the PlayStation Vita version of the game, which should include the main game as well as well the recently released expansion XCOM: Enemy Within. A release date is also available, but it?s most likely wrong, as July 3rd is a Thursday and games don?t get released on Thursdays in neither North America nor Europe.

Since the game hasn?t been officially confirmed, we take all this with a grain of salt until an official confirmation comes in.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown has been developed by Fireaxis Games and originally released on Pc, Ps3 and Xbox 360. The game is a re-imagination of the original XCOM: Enemy Unknown released back in 1994.

The game returns to the roots of the XCOM series with the player commanding the elite paramilitary organization, fighting off an alien invasion of Earth. The troops will be controlled on the field in a series of turn-based tactical missions: between each mission players will be able to research and upgrade the troops equipment as well as manage the finances of the XCOM. The game has received quite a bit of praise and it?s definitely a good return to form for the classic series.

http://www.explosion.com/57348/rumor-xcom-enemy-unknown-the-complete-edition-to-launch-on-ps-vita/