iPad Survives 100,000+ Foot Fall From Space Near Area 51 (High-Res)

Yet you're here, and commented.

So? I have as much of a right to comment as anyone else does. If I said something like, "Wow, Apple makes the most awesomest products that are more durable than anything else" or, Wow this is amazing!" I doubt you would have singled me out. I'm sorry that it's a crime for me to wonder why I see these durability tests done mostly with Apple products and not anything else as I would like to see a comparison as a consumer to base my choice of purchases off of.

Use the market leading product to get more interest in your PR. Wow, that simple...

I don't see how an Android tablet couldn't accomplish the same result, both are tablets especially now with Android catching on and becoming more popular. Using an Android tablet would just as well shown off the durability of this company's cases if that was their goal. I don't hold any faith in a company that needs to use famous labels or celebrities to advertise their products because that usually means the product itself isn't so great to hold it's own without some label or celebrity backing it.

Damnit, is it wrong of me to want to see if the top Android tablets holds up or shatters to pieces? :o

So?

So you care.

And, as an owner of an Android tablet and Android cellphone (And Apple computer), yes, I would single you out.

So you care.

And, as an owner of an Android tablet and Android cellphone (And Apple computer), yes, I would single you out.

Not in the way you are implying. I don't see you singling out anyone else in a hostile tone making assumptions. It's not just this but other videos where they only test the iPad, iPhone, iWhatever and neglect top devices of other brands. Shouldn't consumers see comparisons of different brands to make educated purchasing decisions? Where is the Android tablet being thrown in red hot steamy magma or that thrilling drop from way up or the sweet titillating tension of an Android tablet being pounded by the wheel of an SUV? :p

Not in the way you are implying. I don't see you singling out anyone else in a hostile tone making assumptions. It's not just this but other videos where they only test the iPad, iPhone, iWhatever and neglect top devices of other brands. Shouldn't consumers see comparisons of different brands to make educated purchasing decisions? Where is the Android tablet being thrown in red hot steamy magma or that thrilling drop from way up or the sweet titillating tension of an Android tablet being pounded by the wheel of an SUV? :p

Tell me you're not into marketing, please.

According to my very rough calculations (unsure of the exact drag coefficient of an iPad) it looks like it's terminal velocity is about 30 miles per hour.

Not quite; terminal velocity is around 122 mph (54 m/s).

Not quite; terminal velocity is around 122 mph (54 m/s).

That's for a skydiver - using a human body shape, with typical human weight, with their arms spread out (maximum air resistance). And iPad 2 is much lighter than a person and has a much smaller surface area - so probably has a much lower terminal velocity.

• Like 1

I wonder if half the arguments here about it being a iPad could of been stopped if they had said the word tablet? So they dropped a tablet from a height approaching space, post some decent video of it and still people aren't happy (sheessshhh)

The whole can't call an iPad an iPad but you have to call it a tablet thing has gone way to far IMO. The Gadget Show on the uk did just that. They were demonstrating a product clearly designed and marketed with the iPad in mind yet referred to the iPad as a tablet despite testing an iPad case with a bowling ball being dropped onto it.

So, let me get this straight, they dropped a steel bar from space, having no clue where it was going to fall, to demonstrate that they could protect an iPad? That doesn't seem completely reckless to anyone?

Well they appear to be in the middle of nowhere for starters, with probably miles all around them with nobody about.

I for one have no idea how long it took the baloon to reach that height. They obviously had tracking on it so if it started getting blown away miles and miles by the wind (what wind is there in the desert?!) they could have popped the baloon sooner to make sure it didn't land anywhere unsafe.

So to me, no it doesn't seem reckless

That's for a skydiver - using a human body shape, with typical human weight, with their arms spread out (maximum air resistance). And iPad 2 is much lighter than a person and has a much smaller surface area - so probably has a much lower terminal velocity.

Fair enough; but it ain't 30 mph!

The iPad has the largest market share by far, so they can obviously make the most money if they make products for it and advertise. It's simple marketing.

yeah the height is impressive and all, but terminal velocity is all that really matters, also the shape of the ipad probably prevented it from even reaching that speed anyways.