Half-life2 source leaked?

Dude, do you really think an IP is that hard to get hold of? Your living in a dream world.

If he's nat'd however, anyone with a clue wouldn't give a sh1t.

Read my statement next time instead of just 3 words.

I'm stating that gabe is stupid if he has a live IP to the internet. This is valve, they dont use NAT or have a firewall? Outlook exploit??? I mean come on patch your systems people....

Come on, you sound like you've got a clue. You should know that something simple as SMTP sender address spoofing would fool 90% of computer users.

lol valve has to be feeling like a bunch of idiots right now. wtf wouldnt the red flags go up with you first saw suspicious activity? and then someone copies the source tree and they still don't sound like they are alarmed by that. you damn fools.

Gabes offical response from http://www.halflife2.net

Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

he said it. this certainly does suck. kiss that holiday release goodbye

i think this deserves to be main page news. can some1 make that happen?

Gabes offical response from http://www.halflife2.net
Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

he said it. this certainly does suck. kiss that holiday release goodbye

i think this deserves to be main page news. can some1 make that happen?

Hmm, I wonder if there's a reward for helping. :jump:

So what can be done with the leaked source code? Anything playable?

Hmm, I wonder if there's a reward for helping.

How about the respect of the entire HL2 community, and any1 who's ever had a slight interest in this game?

if that doesnt do it for you, im sure gabe will chuck in a copy of HL2 retail for ya :p

this is stupid. why would the game be delayed even more now. all that has to be changed is the cdkey algorithm maybe. the source code does not allow one to actually play anything right. no way to really look at anything. multiplayer wasn't going to be part of the first release but an upgrade or something sorry if i am wrong? that's what i read. it's just single player then an inexpensive multiplayer upgrade. maybe that's just if you get half life 2 off steam via the ati 9800xt pack voucher thing. oh well who cares. it's their fault. i would only say "smart hackers" "stupid game makers". especially gabe the ****er who told us all "september 30th don't worry we're sticking to that date" he's huge too way too huge he was probably taking a big **** or jerking off or out at gay bars or eating while people owned his PC.. there are definitely good firewalls and or routers they could've used. and they could've had a private network. and the computers with access to the internet at all would not have any source code on those machines. oh well i don't know much but i definitely don't feel sorry for valve or anybody. it gets delayed **** it. max payne 2, thps5 thug (ps2) final fantasy 12 etc many good games. doom 3. and if they don't released half life 2 by holidays i'll be ****ed off. i don't give a **** if source code is out. we should get the release by holidays. just change the **** you need to change cdkey algorithm seems to be the only thing. release game as singleplayer with a steam pass/voucher for multiplayer later on when they fix that so no cheating etc is possible. this is an early source btw.

this is stupid. why would the game be delayed even more now. all that has to be changed is the cdkey algorithm maybe. the source code does not allow one to actually play anything right. no way to really look at anything. multiplayer wasn't going to be part of the first release but an upgrade or something sorry if i am wrong? that's what i read. it's just single player then an inexpensive multiplayer upgrade. maybe that's just if you get half life 2 off steam via the ati 9800xt pack voucher thing. oh well who cares. it's their fault. i would only say "smart hackers" "stupid game makers". especially gabe the ****er who told us all "september 30th don't worry we're sticking to that date" he's huge too way too huge he was probably taking a big **** or jerking off or out at gay bars or eating while people owned his PC.. there are definitely good firewalls and or routers they could've used. and they could've had a private network. and the computers with access to the internet at all would not have any source code on those machines. oh well i don't know much but i definitely don't feel sorry for valve or anybody. it gets delayed **** it. max payne 2, thps5 thug (ps2) final fantasy 12 etc many good games. doom 3. and if they don't released half life 2 by holidays i'll be ****ed off. i don't give a **** if source code is out. we should get the release by holidays. just change the **** you need to change cdkey algorithm seems to be the only thing. release game as singleplayer with a steam pass/voucher for multiplayer later on when they fix that so no cheating etc is possible. this is an early source btw.

lay off the fruit loops man :wacko:

I haven't seen so many stars(*) in my life! :blink:

And thats one big sentence. :huh:

you don't realize that this goes far beyond the abiilty to just play the game.

There intellectual property has been stolen and now people have everything they've been working for for the past x years. :rolleyes:

it's their fault. people will still buy the game. they will still make money. and sentence? i put periods all over the place not one sentence John. Stars oh yeah swearing is not allowed because the people here are so respectful, fair, truthful, honest, and just you know great people. we don't want anybody offending anybody else with any bad language. oh yeah i heard a 7 year old call another 7 year old a ****ing ***t yesterday. and you're all afraid of swearing. haha.

it's their fault. people will still buy the game. they will still make money. and sentence? i put periods all over the place not one sentence John. Stars oh yeah swearing is not allowed because the people here are so respectful, fair, truthful, honest, and just you know great people. we don't want anybody offending anybody else with any bad language. oh yeah i heard a 7 year old call another 7 year old a fuc*king cun*t yesterday. and you're all afraid of swearing. haha.

What on earth are you babbling about? :blink:

[21:46:44] [travis]: I saw a screenshot on some forum... was it fake ?

[21:46:46] [stealthAngel]: Trav: depends on the pics your talkin about..you can build a HLDS.exe, hl2.exe, tf2.exe..but they do not run because of missing assets (graphic/meshes/etc)