Having trouble rooting my Kindle Fire

I'm running the latest update (6.2.1) on my Kindle Fire and have installed BurritoRoot. I've installed AndroidSDK on my PC and followed the steps found here:http://www.androidauthority.com/root-kindle-fire-firmware-version-6-2-1-burritoroot-how-to-41118/

Once I get to step 11 I have issues. I enter C:\AndroidSDK\Android-Sdk\platform-tools and try to do adb root from there only to get a not recognized as internal or external command message. Just to streamline things I copied adb, the adp.dll files and su, superuser.apk to the c drive sans folder and I made a bit of progress. I was able to do one of the steps BurritoRoot called for, adb kill-server. When I did adb-root, it gives me a message saying "daemon started succesfully" and then I get an error: device not found message. I checked device manager and the computer recognizes the kindle. What could I be doing wrong here?

I did a few google searches but honestly, some of what was being said was a little over my head and other messages that I could understand were for other devices so the steps were a little different.