OLPC XO 3.0 tablet: an 8-inch tablet for $100, with Android

OLPC XO 3.0 tablet: an 8-inch tablet for $100, with Android and Sugar options for the children

...The XO 3.0 tablet doesn't have two screens like the prototype Negroponte described a few years back, but it is built in very much the same way as the XO laptop...

In terms of raw specs, the XO 3.0 has an 8-inch, 1024 x 768-resolution PixelQi display, which can be read indoors and out, a Marvell Armada PXA618 processor, 512MB of RAM, and will be configurable with either Android or Sugar operating systems. Sugar is OLPC's own Linux operating system, which was designed specifically for kids. "We designed the XO-3 with an open fireware and with open BIOs so it is easy to support multiple operating systems. Countries can choose between Android and Sugar," McNierney said.....

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/6/2688604/olpc-xo-3-0-tablet-a-8-inch-tablet-with-android-and-sugar-options-for

post-376446-0-18694800-1325949066_thumb.

post-376446-0-42284800-1325949088.jpg

My experience with budget tablets is that they dont work very well. I cant see how this would be any better

Kids in third-world countries don't need the latest and greatest, fastest, fanciest hardware.

Kids in third-world countries don't need the latest and greatest, fastest, fanciest hardware.

An android tablet is hardly on the list of priorities for a child in a third world country

I think they might be heading in the wrong direction with these. The original purpose of the XO platform was to get affordable computers in the hands of third world countries children for learning purposes. I think that a Laptop would do much better than a tablet would.

• Like 1