firefox

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 bjoswald

bjoswald

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Aria

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:23

Sounds good in theory, but I want to know more about stability and reliability. Seems like another one of those no-name browsers coming out of nowhere at the moment.

#32 dysgenics

dysgenics

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:05

not exactly no-name. it has been around for a while and mozilla even links it on their website

http://www.mozilla.o...powered-by.html

#33 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 13 January 2012 - 14:07

Sounds good in theory, but I want to know more about stability and reliability. Seems like another one of those no-name browsers coming out of nowhere at the moment.

It may not be as popular as Firefox and it has been around since the release of Firefox 4. I've been using it for a short while now as my main browser and it has worked well. It hasn't crashed yet and I doubt it will. The 64-bit version of Flash feels more stable on my system than the 32-bit version. That alone is a good enough reason for me to use this browser.

#34 1941

Banned

Posted 13 January 2012 - 14:10

It's disappointing to me that the Firefox devs are still waffling over how to do it properly.

Like, we know what we need to do this, and we are making plans to do it, but we don't actually want to do it.

Heh.

The nightly build of the 64 bit Firefox runs great without issues.

#35 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 16 January 2012 - 19:37

The nightly build of the 64 bit Firefox runs great without issues.

Except that it's nightly, so I'll pass.

#36 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 21:57

I seem to be getting lower CPU and memory usage with Waterfox 10 (compared to Firefox 10). If you're still on the fence, you should definitely give it a try. (Y)

#37 Klenje

Klenje

proud to be furlan

Posted 08 February 2012 - 22:02

It seems to me quite fast, but I hate the fact that even if I set the suggested URL for the updates, it still fails due to integrity check and I have to download the full installer...

#38 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 23:16

It seems to me quite fast, but I hate the fact that even if I set the suggested URL for the updates, it still fails due to integrity check and I have to download the full installer...

The correct URL for "app.update.url" (string) should be:
http://waterfoxproj.sourceforge.net/update/%CHANNEL%/%VERSION%/update.xml

If that's correct, then try changing "app.update.cert.checkAttributes" (boolean) to false. That should disable the certification check.

#39 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:41

Personally,
I prefer downloading the full installer. The built in checker has only worked once for me and I've been using it for a while now.

Palemoons checker doesn't work for squat either.

#40 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 15:19

Waterfox 10.0.2 has been released. If you can't update to it, try this.

#41 vron247

vron247

Neowinian

Posted 26 February 2012 - 22:22

It may not be as popular as Firefox and it has been around since the release of Firefox 4. I've been using it for a short while now as my main browser and it has worked well. It hasn't crashed yet and I doubt it will. The 64-bit version of Flash feels more stable on my system than the 32-bit version. That alone is a good enough reason for me to use this browser.

Do you happen to use any addon at all?

#42 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 February 2012 - 22:44

I seem to be getting lower CPU and memory usage with Waterfox 10 (compared to Firefox 10). If you're still on the fence, you should definitely give it a try. (Y)

i have the exact opposite. Firefox 10 clearly stays lower in memory usage vs Waterfox 10 as Waterfox for me quickly climbs 500-600MB range where as Firefox is pretty stable between 300-400MB and this is after it's been running for quite some time.

so for those of us with 2GB of RAM or less Firefox 10 will be overall better than Waterfox because what little Waterfox might gain it probably loses due to increased RAM use.

p.s. Pale Moon x64 (version 9) don't seem to have memory issues like Waterfox and it uses it's own profile to although Pale Moon devs said they won't be releasing a v10 and are just going to include security fixes from Firefox 10 into Pale Moon 9 and once Firefox 11 is out then they will change Pale Moon to the Firefox 11 code.

#43 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 19:08

Waterfox 11: http://www.neowin.ne...ws/waterfox-110

#44 Botulism

Botulism

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:39

FYI The experimental 64bit build of VLC for windows works in Waterfox. I had to download the installer (exe) and the Firefox plugin (xpi).

http://download.vide...vlc/last/win64/

#45 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 14:34

So, what happened to Waterfox? No updates now in forever and the Sourceforge folders seem to be gone.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!