PlayStation 4 won't appear at E3 2012

The raw power of our video game home consoles is falling behind the PC, but Sony says it doesn't have any plans to launch a new, full-sized PlayStation 4 at E3 2012. Sony's Kaz Hirai said the company won't be making any such announcements at the show, according to The Wall Street Journal. "Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3. I?ve always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that," he reportedly said, referencing an earlier denial by his colleague.

While we're pretty anxious to be blown away by some technological advancements (like hardware powerful enough to render games at a native 1080p), this sounds just like the company line. Sony's been saying that the PlayStation 3 would have a ten-year lifecycle since the console debuted back in 2006, and recently hinted that the PlayStation 4 might be later than Microsoftand Nintendo next-gen platforms. Of course, even if the PlayStation 3 reaches its tenth birthday on store shelves, that doesn't mean the PlayStation 4 might not overlap, and regardless, it wouldn't be smart for Sony to pre-announce a PS4 and risk cannibalizing sales of the PS3. We'll take Sony at its word, but we wouldn't be surprised if the company denies an announcement until the day it breaks the news.

TheVerge

Makes sense. For one, the PS3 is the newest console; secondly, Sony's never been very creative. I fully expect them to copy whatever Microsoft does, as well as what the Wii U does. Not saying that's a bad thing, just saying I expect them to have the most powerful hardware and to copy whatever the competition does.

Makes sense. For one, the PS3 is the newest console; secondly, Sony's never been very creative. I fully expect them to copy whatever Microsoft does, as well as what the Wii U does. Not saying that's a bad thing, just saying I expect them to have the most powerful hardware and to copy whatever the competition does.

Yes you're right. Microsoft is taking over the gaming industries.

Yes you're right. Microsoft is taking over the gaming industries.

Nah, not really. It's a healthy competition between the three companies. I think Microsoft is going to try and have a nice balance of power and some unique selling point (whatever the Kinect 2.0 turns out to be, which I'm betting will be integrated in the system). I doubt any console will see Wii or PS2-like success this next generation (I expect the Wii U to be a misfire, though). The only thing Microsoft's really taken over, IMO, is online gaming on consoles.

The only thing Microsoft's really taken over, IMO, is online gaming on consoles.

Yep you've got that right! Halo started the online gaming community.