52 posts in this topic

Posted

[font=georgia,serif][b][size=5]Virgin Media to double the speed of customer broadband[/size]

Virgin Media will double the speed of its broadband service for over four million of its customers, the company has said.[/b]

The upgrade, which begins in February, will also see the service's top speed increase from 100Mbps to 120Mbps.

The full roll-out is expected to be complete by mid-2013 at a cost to the company of

Posted

I'm on 100Mb with Virgin Media and I get like 98Mb/ps so I'm quite happy. 120Mb is nice of course, I wonder if the upload will increase too. It's 10Mb right now I'd expect it to be 12Mb after this upgrade.

Posted

As a long time customer of Virgin Media since it was known as Yorkshire Cable, this is excellent news!

Posted

Awesome. My 20 is getting a bit slow what with 2 xboxes, 4 computers, 3 smartphones on all the time.
Do virgin have a rollout page again like they did with the upload improvements?

Posted

Yay more free speed. It is staring next month and will take 18 months to complete.

No roll-out page yet. Says they will contact you as and when it is coming to your area.

[url="http://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/speedupgrade/"]http://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/speedupgrade/[/url]

Posted

I'm looking forward to this!

Posted

still waiting for the upload speed to be upgraded :( .
so yet again the customers in the staverton area will be the last to get the good stuff.

and no news on what happens to the customers who are on the 50mb package down load limits,
will this remain unchanged for both the current 50 and 100mb users?

Posted

[quote name='xSuRgEx' timestamp='1326276333' post='594575469']
still waiting for the upload speed to be upgraded :( .
so yet again the customers in the staverton area will be the last to get the good stuff.

and no news on what happens to the customers who are on the 50mb package down load limits,
will this remain unchanged for both the current 50 and 100mb users?
[/quote]
At least it's available to you. I'm still stuck on their ADSL package.

Posted

Im on 50 meg! This is awesome news :D
1 person likes this

Posted

Posted

Glad I didn't pay for 100Mb, the extra 20Mb/s isn't really any use to me. :woot:

[quote name='Dan~' timestamp='1326276896' post='594575477']

Posted

incredible news! I'm on 20mb at the moment, could be on 30mb but that requires spending a

Posted

I miss living in a fibre optic area :(

Posted

[quote name='King Mustard' timestamp='1326277415' post='594575487']
I miss living in a fibre optic area :(
[/quote]

That has just jogged my memory. I remember when BT infinity was launched and they referred to it as "Britain's first high speed fibre optic network" for a few days. Until someone must have pointed out that cable had been around for about 12 years.

Posted

What about upload? Is there anything that can beat ~10meg upload for

Posted

Upload upgrades usually come a while after download ones (at least they have in the past). I think the 100Mb has 10Mb upload. Not sure about the others.

Posted

I wish they'd invest a little in expansion, we still can't get cable in our area!

Posted

[quote name='monkey13' timestamp='1326277781' post='594575493']
That has just jogged my memory. I remember when BT infinity was launched and they referred to it as "Britain's first high speed fibre optic network" for a few days. Until someone must have pointed out that cable had been around for about 12 years.
[/quote]
technically virgin isn't fibre optic, its cable. Fibre optic can handle 100gb/s as far as i'm aware, cable can handle around 1.5gbps in trials that are being carried out. Fibre optic doesn't suffer from interference either.

Virgin's cable is still great though :)

[quote name='Mark' timestamp='1326278236' post='594575503']
I wish they'd invest a little in expansion, we still can't get cable in our area!
[/quote]

digging up roads, getting permission from councils and laying cable costs alot more money than upgrading network gear in exchanges and cabinets.

Virgin said it will cost

Posted

I just re-checked my possible speed from Virgin: 0.0 mbps / 2.2 mbps. I get 3.1 mbps from Sky at the moment.

I had 20 mbit when I lived in Norway, I miss real internet :(

Posted

[quote name='torrentthief' timestamp='1326278605' post='594575505']
technically virgin isn't fibre optic, its cable. Fibre optic can handle 100gb/s as far as i'm aware, cable can handle around 1.5gbps in trials that are being carried out. Fibre optic doesn't suffer from interference either.

Virgin's cable is still great though :)
[/quote]

Oh dear [url="http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/about-virgin-broadband/fibre-optic-explained.html"]http://shop.virginme...-explained.html[/url]

And from the VM wiki page

[quote]Virgin Media owns and operates its own fibre-optic cable network, the only national cable network in the United Kingdom[/quote]

It is only a copper cable once it comes into your house.

Posted

As an existing 100mbit customer, I feel kinda cheated by this. I now wish I had stayed on 50mbit to save myself the extra

Posted

[quote name='monkey13' timestamp='1326278941' post='594575513']
Oh dear [url="http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/about-virgin-broadband/fibre-optic-explained.html"]http://shop.virginme...-explained.html[/url]

And from the VM wiki page

[/quote]

exactly!

Although it looks as though virgin may be offering their tv, broadband and maybe phone for customers that can get bt infinity. they had a questionnaire on their site last year asking customer if that is something they wanted. This would bring virgin tv to millions more customers.

[quote name='Ilys' timestamp='1326279072' post='594575517']
As an existing 100mbit customer, I feel kinda cheated by this. I now wish I had stayed on 50mbit to save myself the extra

Posted

[quote name='Belazor' timestamp='1326278723' post='594575511']
I just re-checked my possible speed from Virgin: 0.0 mbps / 2.2 mbps. I get 3.1 mbps from Sky at the moment.

I had 20 mbit when I lived in Norway, I miss real internet :(
[/quote]
Is that using Virgin's Cable or ADSL option?

[quote name='monkey13' timestamp='1326278941' post='594575513']
[/quote]
It's a Coaxial cable coming into ours, rather than twisted pair.

Posted

Think Broadband have the low down on all the new Upload speeds here is their info:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/7SPYP.png[/img]

Posted

[quote name='monkey13' timestamp='1326278004' post='594575497']
Upload upgrades usually come a while after download ones (at least they have in the past). I think the 100Mb has 10Mb upload. Not sure about the others.
[/quote]

Hmm.

Not worth