i5 760 to i5 2500k

OK so I've read a lot of conflicting information regarding this. Some people say that going to a 2500k will give negligible performance increases in real world scenarios, but I am using this for gaming.

So ... what's your opinion on this? Worth the upgrade? Or should I just OC my 760? This upgrade will end up costing me ~$450.

OC. The increase will not be that substancial to warrant such a cost.

With a good GPU you should easily be hitting good FPS rates.

BTW, what GPU and PSU you have?

Overclock your current rig.

Most games are not CPU bound (though it would depend on what games you are playing - Civ V for example is heavily CPU bound), but if you are playing mostly the AAA-type shooters and action-adventure, you'd be better off spending that $450 on a new GPU or some better cooling to aid in overclocking.

No 760 on this Tom's Hardware Chart, but there's a 750. L4D2 is the benchmark used there and you're talking 212 FPS vs. 250 FPS @1680x1050. An increase, but not noticeable in actual gameplay.

OC. The increase will not be that substancial to warrant such a cost.

With a good GPU you should easily be hitting good FPS rates.

BTW, what GPU and PSU you have?

I currently have an AMD 6970 and a Corsair 850W PSU.

Upgrading would also have other benefits, besides the better processor. This includes USB 3.0 and SATA3 (for SSD!) which are featured in the P67/Z68 chipset. But if you are thinking of upgrading down the line, I'd say wait for IvyBridge anyway.

But like everyone said, that processor is still good and you can just OC it.

Upgrading would also have other benefits, besides the better processor. This includes USB 3.0 and SATA3 (for SSD!) which are featured in the P67/Z68 chipset. But if you are thinking of upgrading down the line, I'd say wait for IvyBridge anyway.

But like everyone said, that processor is still good and you can just OC it.

My motherboard does have USB3 and SATA3 at the expense of having a 8x PCIe port instead of 16x.