'Zero Punctuation' Top 5 best and worst games of 2011

Yea I kinda expected the best,, and kinda the worst, as they are pseudo clones of the previous versions. Why I didn't get them

I was just coming to start a thread about this...

I do not think it is the ads, I think the site is getting hammered so hard because I imagine a whole lot of people are linking to it just as we are.

Anyway I just let the page sit there and it eventually loaded, and this reminded me why I really like Yahtzee over the years. Brilliant little video.

I can't believe Arkham City didn't make his top 5 considering he heaped praise on the first one. I thought he liked it idk, but I'm too tired to go looking for his review of City lol.

• Like 1

I can't believe Arkham City didn't make his top 5 considering he heaped praise on the first one. I thought he liked it idk, but I'm too tired to go looking for his review of City lol.

Here's the review of Arkham City:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/4915-Batman-Arkham-City

I don't see why he praises Skyrim when he destroyed Oblivion when it came out. It's the same game with the same fundamental problems. And meanwhile we've had a really good computer RPG this year (one with actually interesting characters and good writing), The Witcher 2, which he doesn't mention.

I don't see why he praises Skyrim when he destroyed Oblivion when it came out. It's the same game with the same fundamental problems. And meanwhile we've had a really good computer RPG this year (one with actually interesting characters and good writing), The Witcher 2, which he doesn't mention.

He hammered Witcher 2 for the steep (read, "brutal") learning curve, dodgy inventory management, and arbitrarily "dark" story.

The learning curve was addressed post-release, and in his "Extra Punctuation" he actually praised The Witcher 2 for its handling of mature themes. The Witcher 2 is a complex game, but that's something you can get past, with a bit of training. It's much harder to get past "middleschool" grade writing (as he called Oblivion's - and Skyrim is no better on that side), or NPC behaviors that break any feeling of immersion. That said, I guess it's pointless to try to understand him as he himself admits not knowing what point he was trying to make with his Skyrim review.

I can only speak for me, but I enjoyed Skyrim, hated Oblivion, and thought Witcher 2 was the most disappointing release of the last five years for various reasons.

It looked pretty. I'm not sure I had anything else positive to say about it.

Am I the only one with issues about the speed of how he talks? I mean I know Im not a native speaker and all but mostly Im able to keep up with all the videos but his are just insane he talks like 3 words in 1 second...no way a non native speaker can understand it all

I didn't play Skyrim, but I saw Infamous 2 at No. 4 and decided to close the page.

Have you by any chance actually played Infamous 2?

Was a incredibly fun game actually, and I personally think either it or Uncharted 3 was the best PS3 exclusive release of 2011.

It's cool if it was not your cup of tea, but to dismiss the rest of the video because you disagree with him about one game, a game that plenty of people actually really liked (score of 83 on metacritic), seems overboard IMO.

Especially when I thought it was pretty common knowledge that no one should really take Yahtzee's reviews as something to follow on if you should actually play a game or not. They are very much his (at time very warped) opinion of things. I truly believe the point of them, and the reason he has gained such a pretty loyal following, is they are meant way more as entertainment than a solid resource for reviews. I just happen to tend to agree with him a lot of the times, but I would never play a game or not play a game based on his tastes. Of course, this is IMO.

Have you by any chance actually played Infamous 2?

Was a incredibly fun game actually, and I personally think either it or Uncharted 3 was the best PS3 exclusive release of 2011.

It's cool if it was not your cup of tea, but to dismiss the rest of the video because you disagree with him about one game, a game that plenty of people actually really liked (score of 83 on metacritic), seems overboard IMO.

It was one of my favourite games of 2011 as well. I was quite surprised to see it being left off of many GOTY lists altogether, as if people either forgot about it or didn't care about it. Perhaps not the most groundbreaking game of the year, but everything about it (the storyline, the combat, the city, etc.) just screamed "fun". It didn't take itself too seriously, which I definitely love about it.

As for the ZP video, pretty funny stuff. I honestly thought that Saint's Row: The Third would make the list, though, especially considering how much he liked the second one.

The dude is incredibly annoying... Nothing to do with his opinion, I just can hardly understand what he is even saying. Since when does creating an online video have a production cost per second (why does he have to talk so annoyingly fast...)?

It was one of my favourite games of 2011 as well. I was quite surprised to see it being left off of many GOTY lists altogether, as if people either forgot about it or didn't care about it. Perhaps not the most groundbreaking game of the year, but everything about it (the storyline, the combat, the city, etc.) just screamed "fun". It didn't take itself too seriously, which I definitely love about it.

yep exactly as you put it on your blog, it is not revolutionary by any means, but sometimes a game does not need to be. They just improved on pretty much every aspect from the first game, which I also really liked, and just focused on making a fun game. As serious as games seem to take themselves these days, it is at times just a breath of fresh air to play a game that is just pure fun to play and nothing else.

And I have honestly never had an issue understanding him, which is quite strange as I usually have to enable subtitles for any Australian or British movies if the accents are really heavy. And the whole talking fast thing is part of his shtick, what makes him him I would say. Again to each their own though.

The dude is incredibly annoying... Nothing to do with his opinion, I just can hardly understand what he is even saying. Since when does creating an online video have a production cost per second (why does he have to talk so annoyingly fast...)?

It's called "zero punctuation"......... need I say more??

That's the whole point, it wouldn't be as funny if it was delivered normally and he never would have got famous.

Personally I can understand and follow absolutely everything he says. It's not that fast. I suppose if english isn't your native I can understand.

I love his choice for worst game. Fair call indeed. Decent games but the battle between their fan boys really was the worst (read: most embarrassing) part about gaming in 2011.