Bye bye XP, Hello Longhorn

Who will Leave XP and Go to Longhorn ?  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Leave XP and Go to Longhorn ?

• YES, bye XP
    • No, XP is the BEST

hmm. with all the drm and trusted pc crap i have heard, you can believe that the last windows os you will see me touch will be server 2003. otherwise, im using a mac.

From what I've seen of Longhorn so far it looks gaudy and is going over the top re. graphics usage! Hence it'll be processor and graphics intensive and suck up resources away from your applications!

I turn off all the fancy, resource grabbing crap in XP and it runs like a dream!

The OS should be a base upon which to run your chosen applications, not bloatware wasting processing cycles!

Microsoft has gone too far this time!

I'm sticking to XP.

Longhorn is heavily loaded with animations and graphic thingies which I believe will require a whole lots new hardware to make sure it walks (not runs) smoothly.. :p

Longhorn is heavily loaded with animations and graphic thingies which I believe will require a whole lots new hardware to make sure it walks (not runs) smoothly.. :p

yeah 5ghz pc with 1gb ram , 256 mb videoram and tcpa enabled hardware :whistle:

Apparently you'll have the option of turning on all the fancy graphics for those who like that sort of stuff. And with the ability to choose you usually also have the option to turn it all off just like in XP. And no, it won't use alot of CPU resources, that's the beauty of the 'Aero' engine. It will however require at least a 128 meg graphics card (ie. a high grade card of today like that of the 9600 Pro) but in two years those types of cards won't be very expensive anyways.

As for the original question. I might change to Longhorn eventually. After I review it and see what it has to offer in the form of performance/features/security. If it offers a nice enough change from XP, like XP offered over win 98, then i'll get it. If not then i'll stick to XP.

It doesn't matter if it'll require CPU grunt or not, tell me you'll still be using the same computer that you are now to run it when it comes out in 2005. I think not. Most computers now will most likely be a complete POS by that time. WindowsXP ran fine on mid-range systems when it was released, there's no reason to think that Longhorn won't run fine either.

And you honestly think a OS will require new graphics hardware to run smoothly? I think not. A Geforce2 could run WinXP blazingly fast when it came out. A Radeon 9800 Pro (which will be similar to what the GF2 was like when WinXP came out) will most likely run Longhorn super fast. And tell me in 2005 you won't have a Radeon 10000+ :D

Neowin's T&C's:

"For clarity we show zero tolerance for spam, advertising, useless and off topic posts, raising post count, warez (links) & cracks and aiding this; "

a) Longhorn has not been released to the general public for testing, ie: people who have it have downloaded from a questionable source

b) As a result, this thread is useless

c) The thread is about what amounts to warez

d) Whats the point of this - release date is over 2 years in the future - anyone who knows anything about software knows that alpha releases are NOTHING like what the RTM version is like.

Just my input!

um...

longhorn is in late alpha stages... no where near being a final OS.

XP gets my vote...

also, im never gonna use longhorn unless i need to. XP is my last windows operating system, my next computer will be a mac.

thats the most beatiful thing any XP user has ever said :)

Why should we stay with XP if Longhorn will be made better, unless it turns out like ME, then I will chuck it, but I think that it will be nice, so I think that I will get it.

Why should we stay with XP if Longhorn will be made better, unless it turns out like ME, then I will chuck it, but I think that it will be nice, so I think that I will get it.

It cannot be like ME its built on NT, nothing to do with the 9X OS at all.

When 'LongHorn' comes out, I will probobly wait a few months. Probobly because, they will have a couple bugs and things, and they will want to update them with patches.

:)