Man drowns himself in a vat of whisky

A man has killed himself by leaping into a vat of whisky at the Glenfiddich Distillery.

Brian Ettles, 46, drowned after he threw himself inside the 50,000-litre tank. :huh:

Paramedics and firefighters were called to the scene but the father-of-two died inside the wooden vat on Saturday.

It is believed the incident in Dufftown, Banffshire, took place the day after Mr Ettles? wife Irene had celebrated her 54th birthday.

Family members were last night too distraught to speak about the tragedy as the distillery was closed for the second day running in tribute to Mr Ettles, who lived in nearby Keith.

Neighbour Eileen Mackenzie, 67, said: ?I am just really shocked.

?It?s such a horrible way for someone to go and most people I have spoken to are really quite upset about it.

?He was just a young man and I have no idea what might have made him want to take his own life in such a way.?

The alarm was raised at around 10.40pm on Saturday, at which point it was hoped a rescue operation could still be launched to save Mr Ettles.

But he died inside the tank, known as a washback, which is used in the early stages of the distilling process.

A Glenfiddich spokesman said: ?We decided to close as a mark of respect for the person who died. Our thoughts go out to his family.

more

talk about drowning away your sorrows.....this guy took it literally! :o

This reminds me of my Grandfather, he also drowned in a vat of Whiskey, a few men dived in to save him, but he fought them off bravely!

• Like 2

Well... if that's the way he wanted to "bite the big one", I say "fair play, my good sir". :huh:

Really? I figured they would have to close so they could sanitize the vat. If anything, you'd think be irritated that he did that? Not sad?

its alcohol, that will sanitize it.