Ultimate Engineers Toolbox

Hey,

Was starting a list of ultimate tools you carry when fixing computers.

Computer Tool Kit

* Spare VGA Lead

* Spare DVI Lead

* 54 Bit Driver Kit

* 2x Plastic Opening Tools

* Spudger Handy tool

* Metal Spudger Set

* Precision Tweezers Set

* Anti-Static Wrist Strap

* Small Suction Cup

* Metal Ruler

* Spare Kettle Lead

* Linux Live Disk (Linux Mint) 32&64 bit version

* CD Cloning Software 32&64 bit version

* Cable Ties

* Multi Tool

* CD Pen (Single, Black)

* USB 16GB with drivers

* Empty external Hard Drive

* USB Disk For Software

* Compressed Air

* Patch Cables

* Torch

* Network Tester

* Wet Wipes

* Plasters

* Gaffer Tape

* Super Glue

* External USB DVD drive

* Magnetic pickup tool

you forgot the weekly pill organizer, or some similar thing, for organizing the screws you take out.

PS: If not for the fact that you have 1k+ posts, I'd have assumed you were a bot. Why are you linking to Amazon? O.o

Edit: Lol plasters? Is that what they're called in the UK? You learn something new every day!

Ah yes was going to use some Ice Cube trays, forgot to put that in.

If someone accidentally knocks it, screws are gonna go flying. I like my idea better because you can close the lids, and avoid unnecessary frustration. Just a suggestion. :)

you forgot the weekly pill organizer, or some similar thing, for organizing the screws you take out.

PS: If not for the fact that you have 1k+ posts, I'd have assumed you were a bot. Why are you linking to Amazon? O.o

Edit: Lol plasters? Is that what they're called in the UK? You learn something new every day!

The weekly pill organizer is a great idea i just looked it up.

I was linking to Amazon for some reference on prices and what things are called. (Sorry about that)

Yea plasters, if i splice my finger on some money metal i need one, what do you call them Bandaid?

's ok, I was just wondering why. :p

And yea, we call them band-aids over here. Though I think that's actually a brand, and everyone just refers to them as "band-aids" because it's been ingrained into the culture. Like scotch tape.

's ok, I was just wondering why. :p

And yea, we call them band-aids over here. Though I think that's actually a brand, and everyone just refers to them as "band-aids" because it's been ingrained into the culture. Like scotch tape.

scotch tape = Sellotape / ducktape

scotch tape = Sellotape / ducktape

ducktape? That's really funny, because over here, we have duct tape, which is something completely different. (but sounds nearly the same. Go on, say it. :p)

I carry a USB network adaptor with me, very very useful little tool and should cost about ?10.

Also, Anti-Static bags are handly when pulling out old stuff like SCSI cards etc.

Just a thought...

I carry a USB network adaptor with me, very very useful little tool and should cost about ?10.

Also, Anti-Static bags are handly when pulling out old stuff like SCSI cards etc.

Just a thought...

Great idea, forgot about that will add that to my list (Anti-Static Bags)

USB Network adapter that is another really good idea.

Soldering Iron again something i will add to my list

@warwagon I don't think the wife would find that acceptable

an old toothbrush (for cleaning heatsinks/fan assemblies) and thermal goop/thermal inerface cleaner/primer (and plenty of thin clear plastic bags for applying the "goop") <stretch it over your first and second finger tightly for a perfect applicator, turn inside out and bin it (no messsy goopy fingers!).

an old toothbrush (for cleaning heatsinks/fan assemblies) and thermal goop/thermal inerface cleaner/primer (and plenty of thin clear plastic bags for applying the "goop") <stretch it over your first and second finger tightly for a perfect applicator, turn inside out and bin it (no messsy goopy fingers!).

Again more great ideas :D

ducktape? That's really funny, because over here, we have duct tape, which is something completely different. (but sounds nearly the same. Go on, say it. :p)

It can be called both. During the Second World War soldiers use to call is "Ducktape" because it was water resistant and water would bead off the tape like the feathers on a ducks back.

and plenty of thin clear plastic bags for applying the "goop") <stretch it over your first and second finger tightly for a perfect applicator, turn inside out and bin it (no messsy goopy fingers!).

I just use tissue paper. It's more readily available in a pinch. But your idea is definitely nicer and probably wastes less due to not absorbing some of it.

Does anyone use a volt/ohm meter any more?

I think in most cases, it's easier to simply swap parts, rather then doing hardcore electrical testing.

Having said that, you should probably add a spare PSU to your list (try to find the kind that has a 20-pin, plus a 4-pin connector, so you can use it for either kind of motherboard).

And while you're at it, find a cheap spare GPU as well.

I just use tissue paper. It's more readily available in a pinch. But your idea is definitely nicer and probably wastes less due to not absorbing some of it.

I tried tissues before but I found it was prone to leaving fibres in the compund sometimes, found clear polythene stretched also allows it to be thinly spread relatively easily. :)

I also would reccomend against magnetised tools , so a demagnetiser is also good to run your screwdrivers over etc before touching components.

also an All in one Windows Boot key (16gbish) xp, W7 A-I-O (x86/X64) linux\Kapersky AV ISO etc/NTOffline etc (NTOffline password reset tool, for those times when the client cant remember or even knows the default Admin account password, set at install)

I also would reccomend against magnetised tools , so a demagnetiser is also good to run your screwdrivers over etc before touching components.

I don't think the magnetic strength of a screwdriver is enough to damage a HDD, and you shouldn't be jamming them against the HDD anyways, lols.

Having magnetic drivers is WAY too much of a convenience for me to give up.

An old piece of plastic about credit card size; you'll be surprised how useful it is ;)

I think most things have been said now; perhaps you should pack a laptop in your kit as well; just incase...