Debating on a E4200 v2 to replace current Router Setup

Opinions of either the E4200v2 / AE2500 or both ( no idea why the font on this post is messed up ) also i put Links to all the hardware i could think of incase somebody doesnt know what it is or wants stats

Thinking of replacing the Office Router ( Apple Airport Extreme 2nd Gen ), and Debating on also getting a E4200v2 as well as a AE2500 Adapter as the WUSB600N i have for some reason wont detect or connect to 5ghz networks ( go figgure ) Everything Wireless on network is 5ghz compatible so wanting to go that route but not really necessary ( just want to get out of the 2.4 as there are alot of routers in my neighborhood ( 8 in-range, all 2.4, 3 unsecured, lol )

Currently ordered a WBM760A DOCSIS3 Modem, figured i might as well replace 1 of my 2 routers,if not both and adapters

i was going to do a image network diagram but didn't like how it was going to look icon wise

Modem -> Router 1 - Living Room ( Master Router DHCP ON, Wireless Disabled ) WRT54G2 Handles the Xbox 360 ( Windows Media Center ) and PS3 ( currently no streaming problems even at HD rez's )

that router is Hardwired to another room ( Wall run Cable ) to

Router 2 - Office ( Secondary Router for Wireless, DHCP OFF ) Apple Airport Extreme N Gigabit ( i like that it needs special software to configure the POS ) now attached to that router i have a Laser Printer ( USB Port on Router ) and a Ubuntu Desktop.

Wireless Devices are a MBP Wireless, and a Win 7 Desktop Wireless, as well as iPad.

Been toying with picking up a e4200 as well..I wouldn't touch the apple due to price -- 2nd gen?? Aren't they like 5th gen now?

Curious why you went with the arris vs motorola sb6220 or 6221, lot cheaper than that $130 price tag of that arris.

As to connecting to 5ghz N, do you see it?? And just can not connect? Are you using WPA2 aes or OPEN, quite often you can not connect to the N network if not using WPA2 AES. But sounds like you can connect to 2.4 N? Seems like maybe the device is broken if can not see 5ghz networks.

Been toying with picking up a e4200 as well..I wouldn't touch the apple due to price -- 2nd gen?? Aren't they like 5th gen now?

Curious why you went with the arris vs motorola sb6220 or 6221, lot cheaper than that $130 price tag of that arris.

As to connecting to 5ghz N, do you see it?? And just can not connect? Are you using WPA2 aes or OPEN, quite often you can not connect to the N network if not using WPA2 AES. But sounds like you can connect to 2.4 N? Seems like maybe the device is broken if can not see 5ghz networks.

Yes it's a 2nd gen, they are at or above 5th, iv had the router for years..

I got the Motorola as acording to what iv read, it's passed 3lvls of Certs in testing, and of those was the only one on comcasts compat lists that was DOCSIS3,and IPv6 the others weren't. Was going to get the Cisco 120 but there were bad reviews about being bad batches! As far as price, I didn't care

*edit - it was the 6121 that was showing as on the compat list, but not actually Compatable and bunch not working. Couldn't find a 6221

As far as the 5thz, it can't be seen cause its hidden, but all other devices can connect except the wireless adapter. I think I had it as AES, I know know I think I got it as TKIP ( airport doesn't give many options ). Hell may just be the airport not letting it connect. No other adapter to test

Typo on my part I have the SB6120, and what I meant to type 6120 or 6121- I have no issues with my 6120 and I am on comcast.

As to the 3 star cert on

http://customer.comc...d-cable-modems/

2 and 3 level are meaningless phy and Env testing -- its going to be sitting on a desk in cooled/heated home, not a tent in the south pole ;) Not worth the added $40 in cost if you ask me.

"it can't be seen cause its hidden"

Well that thats POINTLESS and only causes grief -- broadcast the SSID, does it see it.. Pretty much to get on N your suppose to use WPA2 AES

I am pretty sure, have to look it up again to be 100% sure but I do believe the 802.11n standard specifies that you can only achieve the higher speeds when WPA2 + AES or you get throttled back to 802.11g speeds. Or I think fully Open will work too, but like wpa tkip no.

Typo on my part I have the SB6120, and what I meant to type 6120 or 6121- I have no issues with my 6120 and I am on comcast.

As to the 3 star cert on

http://customer.comc...d-cable-modems/

2 and 3 level are meaningless phy and Env testing -- its going to be sitting on a desk in cooled/heated home, not a tent in the south pole ;) Not worth the added $40 in cost if you ask me.

"it can't be seen cause its hidden"

Well that thats POINTLESS and only causes grief -- broadcast the SSID, does it see it.. Pretty much to get on N your suppose to use WPA2 AES

I am pretty sure, have to look it up again to be 100% sure but I do believe the 802.11n standard specifies that you can only achieve the higher speeds when WPA2 + AES or you get throttled back to 802.11g speeds. Or I think fully Open will work too, but like wpa tkip no.

Yes when I tried the N I tried with the SSID enabled, and couldn't see it enabled, and couldn't manually connect.

But my main Concern is if I have to use Linksys Software to get the E4200v2 to network the USB printer. As that's the main reason I have the Airport when I did( shares the printer regardless of software/OS ( currently shared with Linux box,Windows, and OSX )) and the Printer is main deciding point to replacing the router, as only desks pace to fit it is the other side of the room.

The Alternative is get a full fledged network printer, but don't want to give up my laser, as Toner doesn't dry out like Inkjet does. Will search Network Lasers ( found http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=printer&category=LaserJet&a1=HP+ePrint&v1=Yes&a2=Type&v2=laserjet&product_code=CE749A%23BGJ&catLevel=3 so not that important anymore

The E4200 is an excellent router, especially when flashed with Tomato firmware.

OP is asking about the E4200v2 which has entirely different hardware under the hood compared to the v1. v1 was Broadcom based, v2 is Marvell based and has NO third party firmware support.

Good review of the E4200v2: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31651-cisco-linksys-e4200v2-dual-band-n900-router-reviewed

• Like 1

Thnx, what I think I'm going to end up doing is totally redoing the network getting rid of both routers

Put in the E4200 as the sole router, with http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/adapters/linksys-WES610N-bridge-switch_stcVVproductId136484981VVviewprod.htm feeding the Xbox360/PS3 ( or just get the 360 N adapter checking now to see of PS3 supports 5ghz N * edit - PS3 does not support N so Linksys it is ) as well as printer and Adapter for desktop