Ok So I finally got it Rooted

As the titles says I got my phone rooted so now I need help with 2 things. One is a USB tethering app that works with the HTC Thunderbolt. I tried the pdanet when I wasnt rooted but it always blocked https sites which pretty much killed gaming on my laptop online. So I am looking for something that does https but is free. I tried about 10 or so on the market and none of them work so any help is appreciated here.The other issue is battery. As you all are aware of droids kill batteries really fast so I am looking for apps that change hidden or hard to get to settings that can help extend battery life aside from just turning off the radios on the phone. Now for those 2 issues listed if you know of a rom that just has both of these by default that would be good as well. I am willing to switch to that. Thanks in advance

If you want a custom ROM, you can't get much better than CyanogenMod. It should allow you to USB tether via the phones built in app. You're not going to get much better battery life as it's arguably the Thunderbolt 's biggest weakness. It's not a "droid" problem as much as an older LTE device problem. The chipset just doesn't play nice with the battery. Bottom line: if you want better battery life you need to look into an extended battery as there aren't any apps that are going to magically extend your battery life.

Install Cyanogenmod (default tethering app included.)

Turn off any unused radios (bluetooth, GPS, Wifi )

Turn down screen brightness

Turn OFF auto brightness controls

Turn off any PUSH notifications (set email to only check when you open the app or whatnot)

That should make your battery last all day at least.

With any smartphone (Android or otherwise) it is unlikely that you are going to get more than a good 2 days out of your battery before having to recharge. That is just the nature of Smart phones at the moment.

• Like 1

Install Cyanogenmod (default tethering app included.) Turn off any unused radios (bluetooth, GPS, Wifi ) Turn down screen brightness Turn OFF auto brightness controls Turn off any PUSH notifications (set email to only check when you open the app or whatnot) That should make your battery last all day at least. With any smartphone (Android or otherwise) it is unlikely that you are going to get more than a good 2 days out of your battery before having to recharge. That is just the nature of Smart phones at the moment.

Thanks, but doesn't ICS have native tethering? I was tethering my Nexus data connection to my brother's Nexus (I have a better plan atm) and it worked great.

Thanks, but doesn't ICS have native tethering? I was tethering my Nexus data connection to my brother's Nexus (I have a better plan atm) and it worked great.

I believe some carriers disable the option within ROMs

Every Android Built since 2.1.1 had Built in tethering however, most Carries block the built in app and use their own (so they can charge you extra for the tethering)

Cyanogenmod has an easier to use tether.

Also if you have a Galaxy Nexus then you probably do not need Cyanogenmod (not until CM9 is ready anyway)

Sorry to hijack the thread... but where can a novice get information on rooting and custom roms? Specifically for the Galaxy Nexus. Thanks!

XDA Forums. Here is the link to the Galaxy Nexus section. Make sure you use the correct method of rooting (CDMA/GSM) Also, if you took any pictures/vids...make sure you backup those files. Unlocking/rooting this phone will wipe out all contents. Should only take about 5 minutes to root the phone. Pretty easy actually.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1336

There is no app or ROM that increases battery life.

In an indirect way, ROMS can, since some of them come with custom kernels. Of course, they can decrease your battery life too :p

If anyone else is looking for easy rooting tools, give Wugfresh's toolkit a try. It's really easy and has a lot of options including backup of apps, unlocking, rooting etc. I used it last night and it worked with no problems. The developer is also very fast with support.

Any ROM recommendations for the Nexus?

• 2 weeks later...

Another thumbs up for CyanogenMod (Y) I recently myself decided to root my HTC Desire and put a custom ROM on it (I was hugely against rooting and custom ROMs, but after putting up with the Desire's menial internal storage for over a year I decided to take the plunge). I'm running an "Aussiefied" version of GingerVillian, which in turn is based off CyanogenMod and it's great! (still have a few issues but overall very nice, much better then stock!!).

There is no app or ROM that increases battery life.

CyanogenMod has teethring support, so you might wanna check it out

What a noob thing to say. So an app, that turns off your bluetooth, wifi, 4g, etc... cannot save your battery life? dimming screen? switching data syncronization to specific times, thus not using 3g radio as often? pssssh.

Install SetCPU. That will automatically down clock your CPU when idle or when the screen is off, extending battery life.

What a noob thing to say. So an app, that turns off your bluetooth, wifi, 4g, etc... cannot save your battery life? dimming screen? switching data syncronization to specific times, thus not using 3g radio as often? pssssh.

Pfffttt.

I have used tons of Android phones, with Custom ROMS and all, but haven't experienced increase in battery life, which is worth mentioning.

And those things, WiFi, 4G and bluetooth are ON all the time, on whose device?

The user is dumb enough to not even know that what is ON and what is OFF?

All the things you've listed, even a normal person can do. You require brain for that, not an app.

• Like 1

Pfffttt.

I have used tons of Android phones, with Custom ROMS and all, but haven't experienced increase in battery life, which is worth mentioning.

And those things, WiFi, 4G and bluetooth are ON all the time, on whose device?

The user is dumb enough to not even know that what is ON and what is OFF?

All the things you've listed, even a normal person can do. You require brain for that, not an app.

Well put, kinda blunt and to the point, but well put! I just put setCPU on my GS, and downclocked it by 200....and it's made a world of difference! I've been through my droid from a**hole to elbow, and couldn't figure out for the life of me, why I still got bad battery life....but now that I've underclocked it just enough to conserve a little juice, it's made all of the difference in the world. No cyanogen mod or anything, stock gingerbread, rooted (with kernel swap method, using Odin), AT&T.....does it run like a maggot in the hot drying sun? no, but my battery life sure has lasted a lot longer. ;)

There are tweaks that may help with battery life IMO. For example, I'm on AOKP and there is an option to auto switch to 2G while the phone is not in use. This is an extreme battery saver, as 4G/3G isn't needed if you aren't even using the phone! Calls/texts/emails still come in fine on 2G.

In my experience, stock ROMs used to give me about 8 hours. Now, I'm looking at 12-15 hours depending on use.