Woman demolishes UK factory where dad killed

LONDON (AP) ? It was a daily reminder of the death of her father in a British industrial accident ? but a mother of two says she feels relief after she was given the chance to demolish the factory where he was killed.

Sarah Griffiths won a competition to lead the demolition Sunday of a tower owned by Campbell's Soup food manufacturer. It was the site where her father Mick Locke was fatally scalded in 1995 in a steam accident.

After she triggered the series of explosions which downed the factory in King's Lynn, eastern England, the 41-year-old Griffiths said the event had given her a "chance of closure."

She said the tower has been "a constant reminder that I have been robbed of my dad."

The site was being cleared for a new commercial and retail development.

e5935a10-fe6f-453d-8aaf-cc920e933015.jpg

source

Hooray. Building that used to employ 2000 people but closed a few years ago now destroyed....

...the land of which will now be used for more commercial and retail stores. Sounds okay in my book.

So she coincidentally won a contest to push the shiny button? I don't think so.

I doubt that it was a lottery type competition - much more likely that it was "give your reason why you should be allowed to push the button" type of competition.

Nice ending and maybe in saying that she won the competition, it may have been a write in comp explaining why you should be the one to demolish it. In which case then yes she should be the clear winner. Nice to see a semi happy story in the news for once.

...the land of which will now be used for more commercial and retail stores. Sounds okay in my book.

Really can you prop up your economy on just buying and consuming things? I am reasonably sure some things have happened recently that seem to indicate otherwise.

Also still 2000 people that lost their job.

Really can you prop up your economy on just buying and consuming things? I am reasonably sure some things have happened recently that seem to indicate otherwise.

Also still 2000 people that lost their job.

Awful lot of speculation though. "Commercial" can mean many things. Consider also the years ahead of new construction jobs and the people employed at these unknown businesses, it very well may be for the better.

Awful lot of speculation though. "Commercial" can mean many things. Consider also the years ahead of new construction jobs and the people employed at these unknown businesses, it very well may be for the better.

I'd agree it is better than nothing but it just sounds to me like just another retail park. Commercial usually just means shops or suppliers.