British Airways flight mistakenly tells passengers plane will crash

When it's trivial, I agree.. however I can imagine quite a few distressed people being left with a post traumatic disorder. I'm sure their life flashed before their eyes etc etc etc... Things like that change you.

I think you to have post-traumatic stress disorder, there has to be some sort of trauma (like a real accident). Hearing part of a recording is not a trauma-inducing event. That would change somebody? What are you smoking bro?

**** me, it reminds you lot of a cartoon! Get a frigging grip on life will you.I only hope you dont suffer a loss due to a airplane crash or even slightly threatened in some way in this nature...

How low has Neowin become.

:blink:

Did any of these passengers or their families suffer a loss from this incident? No. It was a mistake. I guarantee you that if the plane had crashed, people would probably take a graver-stance on the matter. As it is, nothing was wrong, everyone was alive afterwards, we can joke about it.

^ Put yourself in the situation, I don't think you'd walk off happy. If something like that was happened you would panic (yes you would) some people deal with panic much differently to others.

So you can't really tell people to joke about it, because you weren't in their shoes.

Be as tough as you like, but I bet a little bit of poo would of come out! I would of :|

Be as tough as you like, but I bet a little bit of poo would of come out! I would of :|

Oh no, if you look at my very first post I said something very similar - while including the cartoon by Gary Larson.

My point was that Midnight Mick makes it sound like the plane did crash, everyone on board died and their families are going to live with that terrible tragedy for the rest of their lives. The truth of the matter is that while they might be angry for the unnecessary stress right now, it's hardly as grave as he's making it out to be.

Show some understanding of human nature! Those people were truly terrified for no reason or fault of their own. I wouldn't get off the plane thankful I'm alive Id get off being more angry than I ever thought possible. And an apology letter would be extremely insulting.

Surely the means to play that message isn't just a button that can be accidently pressed.

1) How do you know the people were "truly terrified"?

Would you rather no letter or anything? What you would prefer, the person next to you probably wouldn't.

In lief, you're never going to please everyone.

And so? It's people who have this attitude that has caused all this "i'm gonna sue you for this and that" business.

Life happens, you're not dead, get on with it.

On Oct. 3, 2002, I was on NWA flight 85, that left Detroit at 13:30.

6 days late, that same flight crashed. When I first heard about the crash I was shocked... and thought "what if I had to delay my trip?"

if it helps, statisticlly you would have to fly everyday for thirty six thousand years before you crash.

But 401 passengers died in 2011. :laugh: And that's lower than previous years.

2011 was setting up to be "the best year ever for safety," Paul Hayes, the director of safety for London-based aviation consulting company Ascend told MSNBC.

According to the agency's count, 401 people died on commercial and charter planes in 2011 around the world, down from 726 in 2010.

I think you to have post-traumatic stress disorder, there has to be some sort of trauma (like a real accident). Hearing part of a recording is not a trauma-inducing event. That would change somebody? What are you smoking bro?

Trauma certainly is being in a plane full of screaming people being told you're going to crash. A traumatic experience does not require physical harm, it can be mental. For example, hostages being threatened undergo a traumatic experience, but they don't necessarily receive any physical harm. I doubt anyone would dispute their 'trauma'.

Obviously it was an accident, and brief, but for goodness sake - this isn't a black or white situation.

Of course, it doesn't mean they should get compensation as if it had actually come to pass, and probably a full refund is too much. But it also doesn't mean they should just 'suck it up'.

Put yourself in their situation. Massive relief afterwards, for sure ... but man, that would have been awful on the plane.

Trauma certainly is being in a plane full of screaming people being told you're going to crash. A traumatic experience does not require physical harm, it can be mental. For example, hostages being threatened undergo a traumatic experience, but they don't necessarily receive any physical harm. I doubt anyone would dispute their 'trauma'.

Obviously it was an accident, and brief, but for goodness sake - this isn't a black or white situation.

Of course, it doesn't mean they should get compensation as if it had actually come to pass, and probably a full refund is too much. But it also doesn't mean they should just 'suck it up'.

Put yourself in their situation. Massive relief afterwards, for sure ... but man, that would have been awful on the plane.

Awful for like what, a few minutes? And it wasn't like the plane nose dived or anything. It was a smooth ride, with a warning message that was accidentally played. Maybe if the plane had nose dived a thousand feet or so, then there would be a huge reason to be mad. But you experience this type of "trauma" ( as some of you like to put it as ) every day when you get on the road, do handy work, or eat fast food.

Awful for like what, a few minutes? And it wasn't like the plane nose dived or anything. It was a smooth ride, with a warning message that was accidentally played. Maybe if the plane had nose dived a thousand feet or so, then there would be a huge reason to be mad. But you experience this type of "trauma" ( as some of you like to put it as ) every day when you get on the road, do handy work, or eat fast food.

If someone pointed a gun at me for a few minutes, threatening me, would you doubt that having a longer term effect? Even if you were told afterwards it wasn't loaded?

And so what if the plane didn't appear to have issues? It could have been an issue with fuel running out. It's not like we work particularly well under high stress, and the human imagination can think up all sorts of terrors if prodded.

No, you don't experience this sort of 'trauma' every day, that's a ridiculous assertion, and makes no sense.

I'm not saying this was right up there on the scale of terrible things to happen (it's fairly low down) ... but it's certainly not a non-event, and I don't understand some people's seeming lack of compassion.

If someone pointed a gun at me for a few minutes, threatening me, would you doubt that having a longer term effect? Even if you were told afterwards it wasn't loaded?

And so what if the plane didn't appear to have issues? It could have been an issue with fuel running out. It's not like we work particularly well under high stress, and the human imagination can think up all sorts of terrors if prodded.

No, you don't experience this sort of 'trauma' every day, that's a ridiculous assertion, and makes no sense.

I'm not saying this was right up there on the scale of terrible things to happen (it's fairly low down) ... but it's certainly not a non-event, and I don't understand some people's seeming lack of compassion.

Big difference between pointing a gun at someone, and hearing a message. It would be like if you were at a bank, someone ran in, said "This is a stick up" and then said, "NA , just kidding." There was no threat given besides a verbal one.

Sticks and stones can break bones, but words can never hurt you... unless you are a *****. ( not calling anyone here that, just saying it )

Actually, many people hear threats daily. Just play a game online, and you will hear tons lol. People just need to stop being such *******.

That's not a reasonable comparison, and you know it.

There is a big difference between a direct threat of "you might be about to die" and online comments. How does the sticks and stoned analogy even work? This isn't about insults or silly threats - this is a direct message saying: you are in a plane that's going to crashland.

There's two events here: during the event, where people were quite reasonably scared. And afterwards, when they were told it'll be okay. That it turned out okay doesn't completely negate the original event - it will still have an effect on some people.

My responce would have been "That's nice.. " as i listen to some music.

I mean seriously.. Unless superman himself or the hands of God came down from the sky to help the plane, screaming around the plane isn't going to help anything.

My responce would have been "That's nice.. " as i listen to some music.

I mean seriously.. Unless superman himself or the hands of God came down from the sky to help the plane, screaming around the plane isn't going to help anything.

no, you would not just say thats nice...

That's not a reasonable comparison, and you know it.

There is a big difference between a direct threat of "you might be about to die" and online comments. How does the sticks and stoned analogy even work? This isn't about insults or silly threats - this is a direct message saying: you are in a plane that's going to crashland.

There's two events here: during the event, where people were quite reasonably scared. And afterwards, when they were told it'll be okay. That it turned out okay doesn't completely negate the original event - it will still have an effect on some people.

yes it is, it is the exact same thing. A verbal threat of death is the same, no matter if it is prerecorded or spoken aloud by someone near you. It is still just a verbal threat.

How does stick and stones work? Lets pick apart a childrens saying... sheesh I can't believe neowin is degrading into such drivel.

You should probably stay inside, if you become so "traumatized" by peoples words. As well as never go online, because you will hear it plenty in games lol.

People now days just want to complain about any little thing. They apparently have no real troubles, and thus must make the smallest thing into a huge thing via "oh they are sooo traumatized by what someone said to them."

If you think anyone is permanently traumatized by this, they probably already had downs syndrome to begin with. I've been on roller coaster rides scarier and more life threatening than this....

Big difference between pointing a gun at someone, and hearing a message. It would be like if you were at a bank, someone ran in, said "This is a stick up" and then said, "NA , just kidding." There was no threat given besides a verbal one.

Sticks and stones can break bones, but words can never hurt you... unless you are a *****. ( not calling anyone here that, just saying it )

Actually, many people hear threats daily. Just play a game online, and you will hear tons lol. People just need to stop being such *******.

if you said that in the uk, you'd be arrested.

Well, one just does not walk into a bank and accidentally yell out, "This is a stick up." But I'm sure, if we all had a button on us that said that, it would happen more often and wouldn't be an offense worth arresting someone over. This was an accident, done by a recording...

How many fire alarms have been pulled accidentally? That's the same thing as what happened here... Except I would rather die in a plane crash over a ocean than in a building on fire.

Exactly. I imagine it was pretty scary when it happened, but if I was there It would be something I could laugh about later. I certainly wouldn't sue the airline. It was a complete accident, sometimes things like this happen.

Exactly. I imagine it was pretty scary when it happened, but if I was there It would be something I could laugh about later. I certainly wouldn't sue the airline. It was a complete accident, sometimes things like this happen.

The most I'd ask for, is probably a beer with the pilots when we landed so we could joke about it.

And Hum, that would have been an epic responce and an even better story.