HP DL585 G2, VMware

Hi all

I'm getting a HP DL585 G2 on Saturday :woot: She will come with 4 x DualCore, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb disks.

I know it will support VMWare ESXi 4.x without any problems (source: HP Website). I will be upgrading the processors to 4 x Quad Core 83xx Opteron anyway.

Now I have a Dell PE1435 which, on paper will only support VMWare ESXi 4.x (source: Vmware site) yet I've got VMWare ESXi 5 running on it right now without any problems at all.

Has anybody else been able to get VMWare ESXi 5 running on a DL585 G2 (with quad core processors in)?

Will post pics when I get her in the rack. Got a lot of work to do moving virtual servers between servers this weekend.

Thanks

GE

shouldn't have any problems sys req. wise.... however HPs can be touchy with vmware.

Not had a problem with 2 other HP servers I have (ML350 G4 [ran 4.x without problems but wouldn't allow 64bit clients] and DL380 G3 [running 3.5 without any problems])

Will let you know how I get on.

GE

She came with 4 x Dual Core....booted her up, setup the RAID, flashed the BIOS and dropped 4 x quad cores in :D

Attached is from yesterday and she runs like a dream.

GE

post-51551-0-07721000-1327219978_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an oldish post but does ESXi recognise the hardware assisted virtualisation with that combination of server and processor? I have a similar setup with 8530 opterons and VMWare is complaining about it not being enabled in the bios.