Neowin should go down today against SOPA

I've been wondering about why sites are doing this. Blacking out your website is the ultimate form of censoring it, isn't it? Almost like supporting it in a twisted sort of way. They're only hurting themselves losing hits and revenue, while they could be using the time to instead place huge banners all over the site (maybe even temporarily replacing the content of the site) with information about SOPA/PIPA and the implications of it...

I've been wondering about why sites are doing this. Blacking out your website is the ultimate form of censoring it, isn't it? Almost like supporting it in a twisted sort of way. They're only hurting themselves losing hits and revenue, while they could be using the time to instead place huge banners all over the site (maybe even temporarily replacing the content of the site) with information about SOPA/PIPA and the implications of it...

To illustrate what the internet would be like without your fav websites threatened by the bill.

To illustrate what the internet would be like without your fav websites threatened by the bill.

Ah, I see. I wonder if people will get that message, though.

Good points raised here, but we never planned to go down today and if we did, we would have mentioned it beforehand. I think services like Google and Wikipedia have a far more reaching effect than we could ever have.

It's so hard to take you seriously with that avatar :rofl:

Foreign websites would be removed from the root DNS, if the US gov suspects them of piracy, thereby making them just as vulnerable as US based sites.

Within the US perhaps. The rest of the world, I should think (hope?) not, as much as the US seems to think it owns the planet at times :/

Not at all. The point is get people's attention and make them realise how much this legislation could hurt.

K we added a top banner, thanks to hellobar ;) http://www.hellobar.com/pipa/

Yay :)

A lot of websites that are doing black outs have links to petitions and such, perhaps we could add one Neobond?

Good points raised here, but we never planned to go down today and if we did, we would have mentioned it beforehand. I think services like Google and Wikipedia have a far more reaching effect than we could ever have.

With the utmost respect, you folks are understimating the impact neowin has on it's readers ;)

Idid sned my support again't Sopa.

STOP PIPA (Senate 968) & SOPA (HR 3261)

Imagine a world without craigslist, Wikipedia, Google, [your favorite sites here]...

News Corp, RIAA, MPAA, Nike, Sony, Comcast, VISA & others want to make that world your reality.

80 Members of Congress are in their sway, 30 against, the rest undecided or undeclared.

? ? ? Please take a minute to tell your Members of Congress you OPPOSE PIPA & SOPA ? ? ?

As others have stated, most who visit this site/forum are aware of what SOPA/PIPA are going to do. Neowin doesn't have the reach for a blackout to make any difference, except for those who will already know about it.

And I also want at least 1 site to give me something to do today as well :p

I think services like Google and Wikipedia have a far more reaching effect than we could ever have.

Could try free doughnuts and drinks