Neowin should go down today against SOPA

No.... we don't.

?? This is pretty much a huge part of the forums.

Many threads are started based off of information, usually a quoted article, that is taken from other sites. Then people discuss said article. It is not all threads, but it is a decent amount of them, especially in the Gamers Hangout.

Many threads are started based off of information, usually a quoted article, that is taken from other sites. Then people discuss said article. It is not all threads, but it is a decent amount of them, especially in the Gamers Hangout.

And users share links to files all the time. Under SOPA Neowin would be liable for anything posted, even user content

Ahh, true, I was thinking purely about the front page.

A lot of sites are down today to voice their opinion against SOPA, and I think Neowin should join them (at least for an hour or so). I don't usually support these things but I feel like this one is important and we should all remember that Neowin once got wipe by over reacting people at MS and their hosting providers. Just imagine how much worst it could have been if something like SOPA would have been available?

No Neowin should not. =)

I think on tech sites to be honest it's sort of pointless as they already are aware of SOPA and what they need to do to resolve it. Sites like wikipedia are great however as its used by the majority of the population. I can safely bet that most people on Neowin are aware of it already.

This.

No point in shutting down Neowin, we all know what SOPA is and how it will affect Neowin (to be specific).

On the other hand merely showing its support (like it does now) is essential, just no need to shut the whole site down, that's just silly.

No Neowin should not. =)

I agree it's a pain in the ass (I know I'm having a hard time without Reddit) but in the end it's all worth it. Things would be WAY worse under SOPA. Just imagine sites like Youtube, there's no way it would be able to stay online, same with all the xxx "tube" sites, Reddit would be a goner too (no way to actively monitor all the submissions they get) etc etc etc

So because your too money hungry to go offline you feed us bs about it being others like google and wikipedias job to reach the public remove me as a member I will not be back anyone whoever cant support this needs to be boycotted also its not about if your members know about this or not its about showing your members what could be if SOPA passes and then maybe they will get off their lazy asses and write, or call their congressmen

Good points raised here, but we never planned to go down today and if we did, we would have mentioned it beforehand. I think services like Google and Wikipedia have a far more reaching effect than we could ever have.

Never underestimate the power of hundreds of thousands of Geeks Steve ;) you are more powerful then you might think *evil laugh*

So because your too money hungry to go offline you feed us bs about it being others like google and wikipedias job to reach the public remove me as a member I will not be back anyone whoever cant support this needs to be boycotted also its not about if your members know about this or not its about showing your members what could be if SOPA passes and then maybe they will get off their lazy asses and write, or call their congressmen

gotta rake in that dough while he still can! lol jk D:

I am the opposite. I am sorry guys but I am with the media on this law and hope this stops Piracy. Although for the ones that dont steal and etc on the net yes our rights should not be violated and etc. So although I agree what the media is trying to do meaning the movie people and the music people.I believe our we should protect our rights.

I am the opposite. I am sorry guys but I am with the media on this law and hope this stops Piracy. Although for the ones that dont steal and etc on the net yes our rights should not be violated and etc. So although I agree what the media is trying to do meaning the movie people and the music people.I believe our we should protect our rights.

you should educate yourself and learn what it exactly means if these pass. From your statement, you understand maybe 10% of what this bill is for and could do.... It isn't just about limiting piracy of music and movies... Not by a long shot.

you do not own the rights to that zelda image, so take it down or face penalties of 30

years in federal prison, and a $250,000 fine, k thnx. lol

Do you honestly think this would stop piracy? Do you actually know anything about the bill itself--not just what people like the RIAA have fed you about it?

If all it would do is stop piracy that would be great, but it does much much more and it's quite barbaric.

The only people that are siding with this horible act are the people making money off the success of others and not the artists themselves

yet you and most of us use copyrighted images all the time, look at our avatars... technically we are pirates