mpaa sopa blackout

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#46 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,976 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:33

so wait, the companies are abusing the power they have by taking the information away and stiffeling peoples ability to get it, yet they (the MPAA/RIAA) want the ability to do the same thing and that's not a problem?

#47 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,475 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:38

It's funny how Apple didn't do any action to raise awareness to this issue. Neither did Microsoft. We can clearly see now which companies are really working to protect the internet and which ones are the ones who are just silent on the issue as they initially supported SOPA/PIPA (Apple, Microsoft etc) and are like weasels now not putting their support in protecting our internet freedoms.

Makes it very clear what companies to support. Great job Microsoft and Apple, not that I expected either would do anything that is for the benefit of consumers and open internet.

#48 m-p{3}

m-p{3}

MC: unrealmp3

• 341 posts
  • Phone: LGE Nexus 4 (LG-E960)

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:38

Abuse of power? Not really, everyone is fighting for their own interests. I just see that as a fair way of dealing with inequalities.

If you want to abuse our rights to freedom of information for your corporate interests, don't expect people to let it go without a fight.

#49 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,976 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:46

It's funny how Apple didn't do any action to raise awareness to this issue. Neither did Microsoft. We can clearly see now which companies are really working to protect the internet and which ones are the ones who are just silent on the issue as they initially supported SOPA/PIPA (Apple, Microsoft etc) and are like weasels now not putting their support in protecting our internet freedoms.

Makes it very clear what companies to support. Great job Microsoft and Apple, not that I expected either would do anything that is for the benefit of consumers and open internet.

you shouldn't have to black out a website to make a statement, MS already released their stance on it that is all they feel they need to do

#50 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

• 2,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:47

http://blogs.compute...ot_half_hearted

#51 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,809 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:48

Actually I think its got more to do with the fact that Google will lose a ton of money if SOPA/PIPA passes. Youtube, image, search etc would either be shut down or severely limited.

#52 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:48

you shouldn't have to black out a website to make a statement, MS already released their stance on it that is all they feel they need to do

I wonder though.. how this might help the cause, if MS released a patch that blacked out everyone's wallpaper and said, Stop SOPA or this could be your new wallpaper because it is in violation to copywriteblahblahblah... I bet that would have a huge impact on more people as well.

#53 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

• 17,987 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:49

This was posted a while ago on the main page.

#54 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,976 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:50

I wonder though.. how this might help the cause, if MS released a patch that blacked out everyone's wallpaper and said, Stop SOPA or this could be your new wallpaper because it is in violation to copywriteblahblahblah... I bet that would have a huge impact on more people as well.

there would be some huge investigation into MS's abuse of power etc etc... class action lawsuits....

#55 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:53

Im shocked at how stupid some of these tweets are. Its truly sad to see how uninformed people are about one single site. Some people were dumb enough to blame Obama for Wikipedia blackout. Check out the stupidity below.

https://twitter.com/herpderpedia

#56 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,318 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:54

Do you ever post about anything other than slating (insert competitor of google here) ?

#57 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,567 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 19:59

And well it should be. Corporation-sponsored government action is responsible for a good part of the mess we are in around here.

#58 Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Master of Everything

• 1,261 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 20:08

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

Oh my, people are seriously this retarded? Someone should post something the that page telling everyone they are retarded morons and to research SOPA. Maybe if they pulled their heads out of their asses they would understand what SOPA is and exactly why Wikipedia and other websites are protesting by blacking out for 24 hours.

#59 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• 7,475 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 20:09

Do you ever post about anything other than slating (insert competitor of google here) ?

Nope.. just raising awareness which one of these companies you give money to support and defend things that are in everyone's interest. I'm glad I was wrong about Microsoft, but Apple is clear cut.

And don't forget.. Google and quite a few other companies NEVER supported SOPA and opposed it from the start while Microsoft, Apple and a few others did and then back-peddled into bailing out because they saw that it's not gonna end good.

#60 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 18 January 2012 - 20:18

Good thing i dont use either site. Wont even notice lol

damn so much MS hate, no sense to look it up on your great google site to see that MS is against it. Typical fanboy troll.

THe only reason google didnt support it from the start is because they have their own way of screwing with peoples privacy and didnt need PIPA to do it.