[College] Computer Programmer/Analyst

I want to get into software development as a career, but my grades aren't good enough to get into the University of Waterloo's Computer Science or Computer/Software Engineering programs. There is a well-known and respected college close to my house called Conestoga College, which offers a program called "Computer Programmer/Analyst." It has a co-op option that I would most likely take.

My question is: is this program a waste of money and time? As far as I know, most places (like, say, RIM, Microsoft, Google) require applicants to have a degree in Computer Science (or something equivalent). What would I be able to do with this diploma?

My hope/plan is to get the diploma so I have a solid background in programming, and then pursue a degree. My brother is taking a degree in Economics and has a background in programming (he worked for a software development consulting firm when he was 16); he is putting himself through school by working for banks and mutual fund companies writing programs for them (which he can do because of his knowledge of software development & economics).

So, I would kind of like to do something similar.

What do you think?

I did Computer Programmer/Analyst at Niagara College in Welland so kinda the other direction from you (you would just go to Hamilton then hop on the Link and Follow QEW Niagara) It also had the co-op option.

I actually got a Job via the co-op, ended up moving on to another job, but with Niagara College it is linked with Brock. So I could of (ended up getting a G/F and a new job) gone to brock and got my degree. I would of had the first year and a half done of that program (due to the 3 years of college).

With Niagara, they offer 3 programs in the Computer Field. There is Computer Programmer, Analayst, and New Media/Web-Design. The CP, CPA, and New Media courses have a common first year. CP and Web-D being 2 year programs, CPA being the 3 year. Graduating as a CPA you technically also graduate as CP, and if you did the final Web-D year you could get that too.

I can't say how Conestoga does it, but Niagara does it quite well and it was a great program to do, learned a lot in both application and web programming. Plus Niagara has the partnership with Brock so you can get both your diploma and degree, in a year longer than getting just your degree. That gives you hands on and theoretical experience.

I graduated 2 years ago so pretty recently, it wasn't like a 5, or 6 year ago thing.

^ What degree? Computer Science?

yea, you get the bachelors of Comp Sci, but you pick a minor?? Like you can do physics, math, etc. So you would get your Comp Sci w/ (Whatever you pick)

yea, you get the bachelors of Comp Sci, but you pick a minor?? Like you can do physics, math, etc. So you would get your Comp Sci w/ (Whatever you pick)

Damn, I wish I lived close enough to justify taking the program at that college :/

Yea see I live on the other side of Hamilton, so I could Take the 403 to the Link then QEW like an hour drive or so. But there was a guy I went to school with there that lived in Stratford so it was even further, however another guy in my class was from Aruba.. not sure why he came here.. but yea.