Hollywood Upset That Obama Didn't Stay Bought; Won't Donate More

Apparently, some Hollywood studio execs are so annoyed by the White House's statement against the current drafts of SOPA/PIPA that they're telling the press that they won't donate to President Obama's re-election campaign:
But Hollywood moguls told me they ?didn?t know it was going to be as over the top as it was? and took this as a declaration of war. ?We just feel very let down by the administration and Obama for not supporting us,? one studio chief explained to me. ?At least let him remain neutral and not go against it until we can get the legislation right. But Obama went against it. I?m personally not going to support him anymore and not give a dime anymore,? another movie mogul who?s also a well-known Obama supporter told me this week.

There are many, many more quotes in the article, each one more jaw dropping than the next. Take this one, for example:

?God knows how much money we?ve given to Obama and the Democrats and yet they?re not supporting our interests. There?s been no greater supporters of him than we?ve been from the first day and the first fundraisers continuing until he was elected. We all were pleased. And, at its heart institutionally, Hollywood supports the Democrats. Now we need the administration to support us. This is a very important time for Hollywood."

This is yet another tone deaf response from Hollywood, of course. First, it shows exactly what they thought of this whole process: donate enough money and of course they expect the government to pass unnecessary, damaging, protectionist laws that favor the big donors. Making such an admission publicly... that's pretty dumb. Second, it appears they're ignoring the talking points about what a wonderful statement it was... and how it really meant we should just move forward with the current bills (despite the statement saying exactly the opposite).

Either way, these guys are living in denial. The article repeatedly quotes them blaming Google for this... and includes my favorite ridiculous quote of all:

As for other claims, we make 24. We don?t make national security problems.

Let's add back in the key point that this "mogul" missed: You make 24. You don't understand technology. You don't understand internet security. Your pointless desire to stop innovation does create national security problems. Just because you're ignorant of why doesn't change what the law you support would have done.

Either way, what a massive sense of entitlement from those folks from old Hollywood/old politics. When they buy a President, they like their President to stay bought, dammit. They don't want him listening to actual concerns and worrying about the consequences of the quixotic obsessions.

Source: TechDirt

I don't get Hollywood, everyone says they are democrats, they claim they are democrats, but in pratice they are the largest capitalists there are and act more like republicans....

I don't get Hollywood, everyone says they are democrats, they claim they are democrats, but in pratice they are the largest capitalists there are and act more like republicans....

well being a democrat and being a capitalist are not exclusive things. You can be a capitalist and a democrat.

Though it's important to know that proponents , politicians who are paid are on both sides.

The Democrats are still pretty right-wing by global standards

Here's a clue for you ... America is not Europe ( thank God! ) It makes not a whit of difference what European standards are, they are not the standards by which most Americans wan't to be judged by, nor do we care!

Have a good day...

Here's a clue for you ... America is not Europe ( thank God! ) It makes not a whit of difference what European standards are, they are not the standards by which most Americans wan't to be judged by, nor do we care!

Have a good day...

It explains why the Democrat/capitalist dichomy is a false one, hence the reason for posting it. It doesn't matter where the "centre" is in the US.

And, this whole article reveals such a huge fundamental flaw in our political process, and honestly it is one of the main reasons I think it is an absolute joke and I dislike both Democrats and Republicans equally.

It is this whole idea of "I supported you in a fundraiser and gave you money for your campaign, so now you basically owe me a favor." It is just one of the many reasons our political process is completely corrupt. This is really what it comes down to. Who greases who's palm. Politics is just a game rich people play amongst themselves and sometimes include the poor/middle class to give them the illusion that they actually make a difference when they do not.

And it is only getting worse with all the religion being introduced into things.

Really is sickening, and the funny thing is it very well probably is one of the better political systems on the planet. Just goes to show you how absolutely screwed we are as a global human race.

This is why I hardly comment about politics on the site, as politics overall sicken me.

And, this whole article reveals such a huge fundamental flaw in our political process, and honestly it is one of the main reasons I think it is an absolute joke and I dislike both Democrats and Republicans equally.

It is this whole idea of "I supported you in a fundraiser and gave you money for your campaign, so know you basically owe me a favor." It is just one of the many reasons our political process is completely corrupt. This is really what it comes down to. Who greases who's palm. Politics is just a game rich people play amongst themselves and sometimes include the poor/middle class to give them the illusion that they actually make a difference when they do not.

And it is only getting worse with all the religion being introduced into things.

Really is sickening, and the funny thing is it very well probably is one of the better political systems on the planet. Just goes to show you how absolutely screwed we are as a global human race.

This is why I hardly comment about politics on the site, as politics overall sicken me.

Exactly what I was thinking. This is just out right in your face bribery. They are even admitting it. We paid money, so they should favor the laws to us.... Why is this legal and acceptable? Where is that I dont want to live in this country meme...... I want my own island lol.

The rich celebs consider themselves democrats because it makes them look like they care for the less fortunate. They support helping the poor and giving them handouts because it doesn't take a toll on their bank account. But yeah you're right that in reality they are simply the snobby rich that fall more into the republican category.

It is this whole idea of "I supported you in a fundraiser and gave you money for your campaign, so know you basically owe me a favor." It is just one of the many reasons our political process is completely corrupt. This is really what it comes down to. Who greases who's palm. Politics is just a game rich people play amongst themselves and sometimes include the poor/middle class to give them the illusion that they actually make a difference when they do not.

I could not have said it any better

Have a good day...

Nice style of coming across.

Way to bait the flamewars and trolls.

I'm not biting.

It is this whole idea of "I supported you in a fundraiser and gave you money for your campaign, so now you basically owe me a favor." It is just one of the many reasons our political process is completely corrupt. This is really what it comes down to. Who greases who's palm. Politics is just a game rich people play amongst themselves and sometimes include the poor/middle class to give them the illusion that they actually make a difference when they do not.

This.

Well said! (Y)

Glassed Silver:mac

Have a good day...

You should lurk more and post less. Because as Glassed Silver said above, that was trolling, flamebating and what not.