Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

Andrea why are you even comparing something you could do in the DP, it was very incomplete and the reason you cant disable metro like you could then is because the old start menu code was COMPLETELY removed since then

those apps you keep talking about that add the startmenu back are just using their own custom code to emulate a start menu (you DO know what emulation is right?)

Andrea, METRO IS NOT A THEME; IT IS A USER INTERFACE.

USER INTERFACE = HOW A USER INTERACTS WITH THE OS

THEME = HOW THE UI LOOKS.

They are not going to take out the User Interface of an OS, nor give an option to turn it off.

Andrea, for the last time. METRO IS WINDOWS 8! "CLASSIC" IS GOING BYE-BYE! Keyword there being IS!

So was anyone able to figure out the sound problem on laptops? Why the sound will only work thru the headphone jack and not the normal laptop speakers? (Dell Vostro 1400)

Andrea why are you even comparing something you could do in the DP, it was very incomplete and the reason you cant disable metro like you could then is because the old start menu code was COMPLETELY removed since then

those apps you keep talking about that add the startmenu back are just using their own custom code to emulate a start menu (you DO know what emulation is right?)

Well if you install either V Start or Start Menu 7, you will get the Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8 CP. So the option to have the Windows 7 start menu IS still there on Windows 8 CP.

You just cannot turn off the Metro theme that's all. But that could change in the next version. Andrea Borman.

So was anyone able to figure out the sound problem on laptops? Why the sound will only work thru the headphone jack and not the normal laptop speakers? (Dell Vostro 1400)

Missing drivers? Have you checked the sound settings to make sure the speakers are set as default?

Well if you install either V Start or Start Menu 7, you will get the Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8 CP. So the option to have the Windows 7 start menu IS still there on Windows 8 CP.

no it's not, those programs are using their own code, not code from windows (the startmenu code was COMPLETELY REMOVED from windows)

did you even read my whole post? like i said, those programs are only emulating a startmenu they are not enabling or disableing anything on windows it is all their own custom code they put together to act like the old start menu

Everything seems fine. Drivers are as up to date as they can be (unless theres som Windows 8 drivers I dont know about)

Sound settings are fine, just figured it might be a Win8 work-a-round that needs to be done

Honestly, what is al this nonsense on the start menu.. if you take a little time to properly setup the start screen is is way more efficiant and usable than the startmeny which is just a messy collection of shortcuts in general.

[TAP START KEY]

do whatever I need on the start screen and if needed,

[TAP START KEY]

And I am back in desktop..

easy enough..

get over it.. Anyone remember the flamewars over the UI ribbon a few back.. same thing.. And for those using binaries on Usenet who remembers the WAR when yEnc came along and started to push UUencode out.. remember that?

Anyone here _REALLY_ think MS is clueless on what they are going for?

• Like 1

Anyone here _REALLY_ think MS is clueless on what they are going for?

No. I do not. Windows 8 is a small slice of a broader picture. People fail to realize this.

Everything seems fine. Drivers are as up to date as they can be (unless theres som Windows 8 drivers I dont know about)

Sound settings are fine, just figured it might be a Win8 work-a-round that needs to be done

Hmm. Are you using default drivers Windows 8 installed, or did you install the sound card's actual drivers?

• Like 1

no it's not, those programs are using their own code, not code from windows (the startmenu code was COMPLETELY REMOVED from windows)

did you even read my whole post? like i said, those programs are only emulating a startmenu they are not enabling or disableing anything on windows it is all their own custom code they put together to act like the old start menu

Well I don't know how these programs like V Start or Start Menu 7 got the Windows 7 start menu back into Windows 8 CP.

And we don't need to understand that anyway. The only thing that I and other Windows users understand is. That these two programs have put the Windows 7 start menu back into Windows 8 CP.

And so if you choose to use Windows 8 CP.Which I won't do.You now have a Windows 7 start menu again.That is all that matters. Andrea Borman.

Neowin really needs an ignore feature so we can all put her on ignore.

You can easily ignore the troll like i have. My Settings -> Ignore Preferences. (Y)

Stop feeding the clueless troll!

I use it as my default OS, but I made some changes. I disabled Windows Defender & the Windows Firewall, then added Avast Internet Security 7 & MBAM. It uses far less resources than Windows 7 does.

And unlike another member here, who insists there is no Start Menu, YES, it IS. Go to the upper or lower right corners, it'll appear. It's dead in the middle of the right side of the screen, for the world to see. Windows 8 will be a great OS, just wait & see.

Cat

No. I do not. Windows 8 is a small slice of a broader picture. People fail to realize this.

Hmm. Are you using default drivers Windows 8 installed, or did you install the sound card's actual drivers?

I'm glad to hear that someone knows what's going on.

Cat

Tried both. Neither work. Same result for everything I've tried.

Anything else I could try?

Tried both. Neither work. Same result for everything I've tried.

Anything else I could try?

Would you mind sending me a screengrab of your device manager? Are there any yellow triangles in there that you can see?

The biggest problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft have made it with no normal start menu and the Metro theme. Because no one can use it like that.

What they should do is scrap the Metro theme and just make Windows 8 like Windows 7. With a normal Windows 7 desktop and start menu. And that will make everybody happy. Including me. Andrea Borman.

The biggest problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft have made it with no normal start menu and the Metro theme. Because no one can use it like that.

What they should do is scrap the Metro theme and just make Windows 8 like Windows 7. With a normal Windows 7 desktop and start menu. And that will make everybody happy. Including me. Andrea Borman.

What exactly from from the old start menu can "YOU" not do in the new Win 8 start screen ?

and yes "YOU" since other people, me included are using it just fine and have no need for the old start menu since the start screen does the same thing, and much more.

Well I don't know how these programs like V Start or Start Menu 7 got the Windows 7 start menu back into Windows 8 CP.

And we don't need to understand that anyway. The only thing that I and other Windows users understand is. That these two programs have put the Windows 7 start menu back into Windows 8 CP.

And so if you choose to use Windows 8 CP.Which I won't do.You now have a Windows 7 start menu again.That is all that matters. Andrea Borman.

af4579d1_74532dd2_mother-of-god.jpeg

You just don't get it do you?

Can we vote as a community to ban her? lol