Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

What exactly from from the old start menu can "YOU" not do in the new Win 8 start screen ?

and yes "YOU" since other people, me included are using it just fine and have no need for the old start menu since the start screen does the same thing, and much more.

Well you can't do anything with the Metro theme. So you do need a start menu. The Windows 7 start menu not the Metro theme. Andrea Borman.

Well you can't do anything with the Metro theme. So you do need a start menu. The Windows 7 start menu not the Metro theme. Andrea Borman.

WHAT anything can't you do with the start screen.Anything is not a thing. what SPECIFICALLY can you not do ? have you even tried Win8 and the start screen ? no. figured.

I want specific examples of something you can't do that you actually need to do.

FYI there is no metro "theme"

have you even tried to use the Metro Start Screen in the same way as the old Start Menu? because it does everything that the old start menu did and more

if you're not going to say anything useful and just keep spouting your "metro is not usable by anyone" BS, please just stop posting in this thread or I'm going to go to someone higher up as it's quite obvious you're just being a troll, whether purposefully or not, either way, everyone in this thread is fed up to you because you don't seem to listen to what we tell you

Andrea, in the time you've spent repeatedly posting about your dislike of Metro, you could have used that time using it and familiarising yourself with it. If you don't like it that's fair enough, but saying "no one can use it like that" and "you can't do anything with the Metro theme" shows that you haven't seriously given it a chance. If you were able to get used to the start menu in Windows XP, I'm sure you can get used to Metro in Windows 8.

• Like 1

Andrea, in the time you've spent repeatedly posting about your dislike of Metro, you could have used that time using it and familiarising yourself with it. If you don't like it that's fair enough, but saying "no one can use it like that" and "you can't do anything with the Metro theme" shows that you haven't seriously given it a chance. If you were able to get used to the start menu in Windows XP, I'm sure you can get used to Metro in Windows 8.

Well why not just make the metro theme optional like they did in Windows 8 DP?

Then if you want the Metro theme you can use it.

But if you don't want it,you can disable it and use it like Windows 7.At least that's what I did in Windows 8 DP. I disabled the Metro theme and I had the Windows 7 start menu.

But you can't do that in Windows 8 CP. Which is what I and other Windows users are complaining about. Andrea Borman.

But if you don't want it,you can disable it and use it like Windows 7.At least that's what I did in Windows 8 DP. I disabled the Metro theme and I had the Windows 7 start menu.

But you can't do that in Windows 8 CP. Which is what I and other Windows users are complaining about. Andrea Borman.

No one is going to force you at gunpoint to use Windows 8, you know. Use what works best for you - be it Windows 7, Windows ME or OS/2. But for Zarquon's sake quit your incessant whining about the Metro start screen. It is getting old.

It's not a theme. It replaces the start menu and works the same way, you can just run apps on it now too. As I told you before, the start menu is not coming back. You'll just have to get used to it or switch to a different OS.

Would you mind sending me a screengrab of your device manager? Are there any yellow triangles in there that you can see?

lol, everything is fine. This is a known issue (I've seen others post about it happening to them as well)

was just wondering if anyone knew a solution because I'm all out of ideas, thats all =\

Still waiting for yo to say specifically what you can't do in the metro start screen that you can in the start menu.

and they're removing the start menu to avoid bloat and tighten up windows to make it faster. And because they don't want to develop and maintain the code base for two different systems that do the exact same thing.

Now back to the original question. What SPECIFICALLY can you not do in the metro start screen.

I'm surprised you guys are keeping at this, for no reason.

Anyways, I really think MS should make a metro version of Windows Explorer, though there's a basic file browser in there it's hidden deep and accessed through an app etc. Lots of the core desktop "apps" should have metro counter parts in general, if only as a basic form with the "advanced" option taking you to the desktop version if needs be.

This is ridiculous. I am excusing myself from this thread and going back to work... On my laptop running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Funny how I can still use my laptop running an OS that "no one can use", and then after that, I have a Mac to work on for a friend... It's amazing they're still around after all this time too, without a Start Menu for people to use.

Still waiting for yo to say specifically what you can't do in the metro start screen that you can in the start menu.

and they're removing the start menu to avoid bloat and tighten up windows to make it faster. And because they don't want to develop and maintain the code base for two different systems that do the exact same thing.

Now back to the original question. What SPECIFICALLY can you not do in the metro start screen.

Well with the Windows 7 start menu you can see and access all your programs and settings easily,including the shut down button.

But you cannot with the Metro theme. And the Metro theme eats up a lot of juice on your computer users a lot of resources.And slows down your computer. The Windows 7 theme does not.

Also as the Metro apps don't work on a netbook anyway,the Metro theme is pretty much useless. And the bug in the ribbon tool bar in Windows Explorer freezes my mouse. And you now have to slide up the picture in the start screen to get the log on screen. Like drag and drop which is awkward.

So yes Windows 7 is better. Andrea Borman.

The Metro interface the start screen was NOT optional in windows 8 DP because in ordfer to disable it you had to mess around with the Registry and or hroup policy wich is NOT a Feature to turn stuff off it is a a HACK to make something work or not work

FOR THE LAST TIME METRO IS NOT A THEME IT IS A USERINTERFACE. A THEME IS CHANGING THE COLOR OF SOMETHING OR THE ICONS OF SOMETHING THE LOOK OF SOMETHING mETRO IS PART OF WINDOWS EXPLORER.

Sorry to the rest of neowin for the use of caps but figured she see that

Well with the Windows 7 start menu you can see and access all your programs and settings easily,including the shut down button. But you can not with the metro theme.

Then what is this then?

Hey, look! It's all my programs! Wow!

And the Metro theme eats up a lot of juice on your computer users a lot of resources.And slows down your computer. The Windows 7 theme does not.

Oooh, it's just terrible, look at how much RAM Windows 8 eats up! :o

988MB! Oh, the pain....

Also as the Metro apps don't work on a netbook anyway,the Metro theme is pretty much useless.

Even on my netbook the Start Screen is more functional the the Start Menu.

And you now have to slide up the picture in the start screen to get the log on screen. Like drag and drop which is awkward.

Simple, just hit the "Enter" key. Problem solved.

The Metro interface the start screen was NOT optional in windows 8 DP because in ordfer to disable it you had to mess around with the Registry and or hroup policy wich is NOT a Feature to turn stuff off it is a a HACK to make something work or not work

FOR THE LAST TIME METRO IS NOT A THEME IT IS A USERINTERFACE. A THEME IS CHANGING THE COLOR OF SOMETHING OR THE ICONS OF SOMETHING THE LOOK OF SOMETHING mETRO IS PART OF WINDOWS EXPLORER.

Sorry to the rest of neowin for the use of caps but figured she see that

I put things in size 72 and she can't seem to see that, so i fear your efforts are futile lol.

Well with the Windows 7 start menu you can see and access all your programs and settings easily,including the shut down button.

But you cannot with the Metro theme. And the Metro theme eats up a lot of juice on your computer users a lot of resources.And slows down your computer. The Windows 7 theme does not.

Also as the Metro apps don't work on a netbook anyway,the Metro theme is pretty much useless. And the bug in the ribbon tool bar in Windows Explorer freezes my mouse. And you now have to slide up the picture in the start screen to get the log on screen. Like drag and drop which is awkward.

So yes Windows 7 is better. Andrea Borman.

Metro start screen lets you start ANY app on your computer, just as easy and the same way the win7 start menu does, better in many ways since you can pin far more apps to the "quick start" area.

Metro actually uses less resources than the win7 start menu.its one of the things they're really proud of, how little resources metro and mero apps and live tiles use.

Metro apps don't work on the smallest crappiest netbooks no(they do work on the more useful 11 inch ones). However that's a rather moot point isn't it. Since the metro apps don't work on your windows 7 either so. Sorry invalid point.

And no you don't have to slide it up. You hit enter, onc, same as in every other windows. How often do you log out on a non tablet anyway.

Oh no, a bug, in a beta OS, sorry not a valid excuse, fixed in final. Might be a bug in your commuter as well, haven't heard of it anywhere else.

as for making shut down harder to reach. Yeah, it's a function you use ONCE a day, why does it need to use prime real estate on the front of your start menu. Btw, my computer came with a power button, and has been the primary way to shut down the computer for 10+ years.

So no, win7 is actually worse by your own logic.

The truth is I don't like Windows 8 because I don't like the Metro theme. And Windows 8 CP is very very slow. Also I see no need for a Windows 8 when Windows 7 does everything we want.And has everything we want.

If you want to use Windows go for Windows XP or if you want the latest version,Windows 7.These two are the best versions of Windows. And Windows 7 is so user friendly,even a child can use it. If you try Windows 7,you will never want to use any other version of Windows.

Windows 7 is a very fast and flexible operating system. It runs old and new software. You can even burn CDs in Windows Explorer with Windows Disk Image Burn.So no need to install third party software to burn CDs.

You can also have the Aero theme or Windows Classic theme. And install additional software like Classic Shell to get the Windows XP start menu. But on the other hand the Windows 7 start menu is very nice.

So with all of that why use Windows 8? We have got a good thing going with Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

Can you guys not see that this "Andrea Borman" person is playing y'all? This is not an ignorant "lady" who willfully ignores what people say only to return with the exact same spiel heedless of being correct several times over.

This person is a purposefully doing this and getting a kick out of your frustration or repeated attempts to counter the nonsense being posted by "her". I think you all refer to a person like this as a troll. But, I will give "Ms. Borman" this... "she" is most certainly consistent.

• Like 1

Can you guys not see that this "Andrea Borman" person is playing y'all? This is not an ignorant "lady" who willfully ignores what people say only to return with the exact same spiel heedless of being correct several times over.

This person is a purposefully doing this and getting a kick out of your frustration or repeated attempts to counter the nonsense being posted by "her". I think you all refer to a person like this as a troll. But, I will give "Ms. Borman" this... "she" is most certainly consistent.

No Windows 7 is perfect,you cannot fault it at all. Which is more than I can say for Windows 8 CP. Which is not very good. Andrea Borman.

I'm sorry, but I am uninstalling Windows 8 from my Thinkpad. Windows 7 is much better, thank you very much.

And this is coming from a person who bought Vista at launch and used Windows 7 as a primary desktop OS for a year before it actually launched. However, I will say that Windows 8 is great for a touch screen, however. I might consider a Windows 8 tablet as my first tablet when those launch later this year.

I'm sorry, but I am uninstalling Windows 8 from my Thinkpad. Windows 7 is much better, thank you very much.

And this is coming from a person who bought Vista at launch and used Windows 7 as a primary desktop OS for a year before it actually launched. However, I will say that Windows 8 is great for a touch screen, however. I might consider a Windows 8 tablet as my first tablet when those launch later this year.

At last. Someone who sees it my way. Yes Windows 7 is miles better than Windows 8 CP. Come to think of it, ANY version of Windows is better than Windows 8 CP. Andrea Borman.

How do you say Windows 8 is slow? That is so far from the truth it's not even funny. Have you actually tried any of the features?

And for the love of all that is holy will you stop calling metro a theme? It's not a damn theme! lol

• Like 1

How do you say Windows 8 is slow? That is so far from the truth it's not even funny. Have you actually tried any of the features?

And for the love of all that is holy will you stop calling metro a theme? It's not a damn theme! lol

Andrea was running it on a crappy netbook, of course it's going to be slow as i also doubt she had proper drivers

Finally someone else gets it.