Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

seriously Andrea, what's the point in using the Vista version of the sidebar when the Windows 7 version works so much better?

and what does the Vista version of Mail have that Windows Live Mail doesn't?

Windows Movie Maker I can understand why'd you want to use the older version but with the rest of the programs you use there is NO good reason to use the older versions

also, all those 32bit apps that you're afraid won't work in 64bit will work just fine as long as you put them in the correct place (aka Program Files (x86) folder)

just wanting to be stuck in old ways of doing things isn't a viable excuse Andrea, technology is constantly evolving, you need to learn to evolve with it

-you could get windows mail from the 64 bit vista. but why ? windows mail is slow and not very good compared to windows live mail which is faster, safer and just better

-there's also a newer version of movie maker.

-and why would you want the sidebar ? you can place windows 7 gadgets on the side OR anywhere else on the desktop. and get them out front when needed using the proper shortcut, or just the windows 7 peek function. th eonly reason to have it is so you can have the sidebar always on top on the side of the screen. but since you're on a netbook with a screen resolution not big enough to even show the widht of an average web page. I don't see the usefullness of that, on a full HD monitor, sure. but not on a 1024x600 netbook. Also you can get the 64 bit version of the sidebar form the 64 bit vista.

yes you can install 64 or 32 bit OS on any laptop, provided it has a 64 bit CPU. which means, as far as Atom go, certain N450 models and higher.

but I still odn't see any reason why you would want to buy a good laptop and encumber it with a 32 bit OS. Especially if you do movie editing, which is one of the prime places where you WANT if not NEED 64 bit.

I replaced Windows 7 entirely with 8. I live on the edge and wipe an old operating system out entirely if I really want to give something new a good, thorough test run.

So far so good. I'm a fan of the new Start Screen. I still don't interact with it more than I interact with the regular desktop, but I like having fullscreen weather apps and what not just a couple clicks or keystrokes away. As for the desktop, which I use the majority of time, everything is most certainly faster. Explorer seems snappier, animations are quicker and more fluid, and all of the new features are great.

I'm one happy camper! So far not a single groundbreaking issue.

I did exactly the same thing this morning.

Got rid of my Win7 install and now I only run Win 8 CP.

So far everything runs just fine, except for the metro apps, but that was expected

seriously Andrea, what's the point in using the Vista version of the sidebar when the Windows 7 version works so much better?

and what does the Vista version of Mail have that Windows Live Mail doesn't?

Windows Movie Maker I can understand why'd you want to use the older version but with the rest of the programs you use there is NO good reason to use the older versions

also, all those 32bit apps that you're afraid won't work in 64bit will work just fine as long as you put them in the correct place (aka Program Files (x86) folder)

just wanting to be stuck in old ways of doing things isn't a viable excuse Andrea, technology is constantly evolving, you need to learn to evolve with it

Windows 7 has just the gadgets, but the Vista Sidebar has both the gadgets and the sidebar. And the Vista Sidebar looks nice. And Windows Vista has a lot of nice software,even though the OS is a lot slower than Windows 7. And all of the Vista software works on Windows 7. And it also works on Windows 8 including the CP. But of course the problem with CP was, it's got no start menu. And the default Windows Vista Aero theme is better than Windows 7s default theme. But you can change that.

But on Windows 8 I would rather use my Vista Sidebar and Windows gadgets which work on Windows 8,than those Metro apps. Well the Metro apps did not work anyway.

And no, I have never used Windows 95 or 2000. I only started using a computer in 2006 and that was in an Internet cafe. Where the person sitting next to me showed me how to use it. there they have windows XP in the internet cafes. Then in April 2010 I got my first home computer,a Windows 7 Netbook.So I missed out on Windows,95,98 and Windows 2000.

Now I own about 7netbooks,4 with Windows 7,2 Windows XP netbooks, and 1 with Linux Mint as the only OS on that netbook.I installed the Linux Mint 11 myself by downloading the ISO file from the Internet. Then burning it to a DVD with Windows disk burner that is included in Windows Explorer in Windows 7. You can also use Windows Explorers disk image burner to back up your files on a DVD. I have bought a plug in USB DVD drive. Which I needed to reinstall Windows 7 from Windows 8.

Because Windows disk burner is included in all versions of Windows 7,even Windows 7 Starter.You don't need to install third party software to burn CDs. But if you have Windows XP or Windows Vista, then you do need to install third party software. As Windows disk burner is only included in Windows 7 and Windows 8. But now I cannot use Windows 8 because the CP is not working properly.

By the way, I have read there is a program called V Start that puts both the start orb and Vista start menu into Windows 8 CP. I wonder if it works.Andrea Borman.

64 bit windows is actually faster, even on 32 bit programs it's often faster, depending on the app. But because of how the memory in WoW is mapped it can run 32 bit apps faster. and 64 bit native is faster, at least on memory hungry apps.

as for netbooks, few netbooks are even 64 bit capable, only some of the latest atom cpu's are.

but then again, atom netbooks are worthless. especially now that intel won't let Nvidia ION work. the AMD APU's are somewhat decent.but a proper laptop CPU is still far better and properly 64 bit. and a good i3 laptop costs no more than a "decent(still crap) netbook anyway.

and btw. it's microsoft that doesn't license 64 bit and anything higher than starter edition for sub 11inch netbooks.

The license costs of x32 and x64 for Windows have been identical since Vista - there has never been an "x64 surcharge". Starting with Vista, I've gone exclusively x64 since I got a CPU that supported it, and I had (then) a mere 2 GB of RAM, and I've crossgraded folks with less (my Mom, until recently had but one GB when I up-and-crossgraded her from XP Professional to 7 Ultimate x64 on her refurb - she has 4 GB today).

The big thing with Windows (regardless of whether x32 or x64) is to make sure you have adequate RAM. With x32, there is a RAM *ceiling* you have to deal with - typically, 4 GB of RAM (though most motherboards - even those based on moldy-oldie chipsets such as Intel's G3x - can hold up to 8 GB - I still need to find a proper BIOS setting that will let Mom address all the RAM her refurb has; the upper 1 GB is blocked off).

Windows 7 has just the gadgets, but the Vista Sidebar has both the gadgets and the sidebar. And the Vista Sidebar looks nice. And Windows Vista has a lot of nice software,even though the OS is a lot slower than Windows 7. And all of the Vista software works on Windows 7. And it also works on Windows 8 including the CP. But of course the problem with CP was, it's got no start menu. And the default Windows Vista Aero theme is better than Windows 7s default theme. But you can change that.

But on Windows 8 I would rather use my Vista Sidebar and Windows gadgets which work on Windows 8,than those Metro apps. Well the Metro apps did not work anyway.

And no, I have never used Windows 95 or 2000. I only started using a computer in 2006 and that was in an Internet cafe. Where the person sitting next to me showed me how to use it. there they have windows XP in the internet cafes. Then in April 2010 I got my first home computer,a Windows 7 Netbook.So I missed out on Windows,95,98 and Windows 2000.

Now I own about 7netbooks,4 with Windows 7,2 Windows XP netbooks, and 1 with Linux Mint as the only OS on that netbook.I installed the Linux Mint 11 myself by downloading the ISO file from the Internet. Then burning it to a DVD with Windows disk burner that is included in Windows Explorer in Windows 7. You can also use Windows Explorers disk image burner to back up your files on a DVD. I have bought a plug in USB DVD drive. Which I needed to reinstall Windows 7 from Windows 8.

Because Windows disk burner is included in all versions of Windows 7,even Windows 7 Starter.You don't need to install third party software to burn CDs. But if you have Windows XP or Windows Vista, then you do need to install third party software. As Windows disk burner is only included in Windows 7 and Windows 8. But now I cannot use Windows 8 because the CP is not working properly.

By the way, I have read there is a program called V Start that puts both the start orb and Vista start menu into Windows 8 CP. I wonder if it works.Andrea Borman.

Andrea,

What can you do in the classic start menu can you do that is no longer possible?

So does that mean I will be able to install Windows 7 if I want to?Andrea Borman.

Yes.

I've been telling the detractors exactly that.

Windows 7 will be supported for another thirteen years (2025) - 7 won't go away just because 8 is coming up fast.

That said, I demoted 7 to VM duty last week, and have no intention at all on running 7 bare-metal ever again.

And this is on a *desktop* computer - not any form of portable, let alone a tablet or slate.

I expect Windows 9 will redo the desktop side of things quite a bit and will match better with the start screen, at that point more and more people will probably be using mobile devices and as far as the desktop and business goes they run a set of apps, if those apps run then there's no real problem here.

The only ones moaning are the vocal minority, as always, that take over the internet. People who don't have a problem with something don't make noise about it, they just go about their business.

Heck if Win9 doesn't have a taskbar next I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Wow, 7 netbooks? Do you use them all? Be interesting to see what you do with them all :D

Wow, 7 netbooks? Do you use them all? Be interesting to see what you do with them all :D

One for each day of the week? :s What a waste of money.

One for each day of the week? :s What a waste of money.

I would think having 7 net books and using only one of them would be a waste of money. Maybe I am the only one?

Back on topic, I have recently been running into a lot of graphically glitches on my laptop. i7 processor with 6GB of ram. 8 runs smoothly and very fast but if I load up firefox, I usually see solid white, grey, and black lines over various elements of the browser, not the page itself. I see the same thing when I load up the pinball game occasionally. I have to switch back to the start screen and back to the game a few times to fix it. No fix yet for firefox.

Andrea,

What can you do in the classic start menu can you do that is no longer possible?

The Windows 2000,and Windows XP has the same functions as the Windows Vista start menu that is on Windows 7. They are just different styles that's all. I think the Windows XP start menu that you get on Classic Shell looks really nice on my Windows 7 and on Windows Vista.

But both the Windows XP and Windows 7 start menu work the same way. They do the job of finding all of your programs. But on Windows 8 CP you have got nothing,no start menu.

And I have 7 laptops because I got given some as presents from a friend. And also I am going to stock up on computers to avoid being stuck with Windows 8.If my other laptops where out.Because if they stop selling Windows 7,like they did with Windows XP and Windows Vista,and we are forced to buy Windows 8. We may have secure boot.Which means that we won't even be able to install Windows 7 on new laptops with Windows 8.

So here is how to avoid being stuck with the dreaded Windows 8. Now,stock up on as many Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops as you can,buy 20 maybe.Put them in a cupboard. Then you will have enough Windows 7 and Windows XP computers to last you for the next 20 years or more. And you will never have to go on Windows 8, or be stuck with Windows 8.

Because if Microsoft get their way,no matter how many Windows XP or Windows 7 CDs or product keys you have. If they put secure boot on new computers,you won't be able to install Windows XP or Windows 7. You will be stuck with Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

The Windows 2000,and Windows XP has the same functions as the Windows Vista start menu that is on Windows 7. They are just different styles that's all. I think the Windows XP start menu that you get on Classic Shell looks really nice on my Windows 7 and on Windows Vista.

But both the Windows XP and Windows 7 start menu work the same way. They do the job of finding all of your programs. But on Windows 8 CP you have got nothing,no start menu.

And I have 7 laptops because I got given some as presents from a friend. And also I am going to stock up on computers to avoid being stuck with Windows 8.If my other laptops where out.Because if they stop selling Windows 7,like they did with Windows XP and Windows Vista,and we are forced to buy Windows 8. We may have secure boot.Which means that we won't even be able to install Windows 7 on new laptops with Windows 8.

So here is how to avoid being stuck with the dreaded Windows 8. Now,stock up on as many Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops as you can,buy 20 maybe.Put them in a cupboard. Then you will have enough Windows 7 and Windows XP computers to last you for the next 20 years or more. And you will never have to go on Windows 8, or be stuck with Windows 8.

Because if Microsoft get their way,no matter how many Windows XP or Windows 7 CDs or product keys you have. If they put secure boot on new computers,you won't be able to install Windows XP or Windows 7. You will be stuck with Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

You really don't get it do you?

We have told you multiple times already that you will be able to buy a Win8 PC and just install Win7 on it.

The only device you will not be able to downgrade is a Win8 ARM Tablet.

And Windows 8 does have a start menu, it's just the size of a screen. So you can pin even more to the start screen and organize it in a way that you like.

We may have secure boot.Which means that we won't even be able to install Windows 7 on new laptops with Windows 8.

Funny, you should say this.... I'm dual booting the CP with Ubuntu....

What's this BS about being locked out?

The fail is strong here. Very strong.

You can't demonstrate her "fail" on a Windows 7-era PC. She was referring to the "Certified for Windows 8" sticker requirements that apply to Windows 8-era PCs. However, since Microsoft will require x86/x86-64 PC manufacturers to provide a way to disable Secure Boot, it is possible to run 7, XP, Ubuntu, etc. on them too.

But you have Windows 8 installed on your Windows 7 or Windows XP computer with Linux. But I am talking about new computers in the shops that come pre installed with Windows 8. They may have secure boot.

But if you install Windows 8 on your own Windows 7 or Windows XP computer it is different.

But the posts I read on the web are referring to when they start selling Windows 8 computers.

Any computer or laptop you buy in the shops now comes pre installed with Windows 7. And you can install Windows XP,Linux or any other OS including Windows 8. And also uninstall Windows 8 and install Windows 7 or Linux. That's not a problem.

But if the new laptops that come pre installed with Windows 8 have secure boot put on them. Like Microsoft would like to do.You may not be able too install Linux or Windows 7 or Windows XP on those laptops. Andrea Borman.

But you have Windows 8 installed on your Windows 7 or Windows XP computer with Linux. But I am talking about new computers in the shops that come pre installed with Windows 8. They may have secure boot.

But if you install Windows 8 on your own Windows 7 or Windows XP computer it is different.

But the posts I read on the web are referring to when they start selling Windows 8 computers.

Any computer or laptop you buy in the shops now comes pre installed with Windows 7. And you can install Windows XP,Linux or any other OS including Windows 8. And also uninstall Windows 8 and install Windows 7 or Linux. That's not a problem.

But if the new laptops that come pre installed with Windows 8 have secure boot put on them. Like Microsoft would like to do.You may not be able too install Linux or Windows 7 or Windows XP on those laptops. Andrea Borman.

I'm pretty sure companies like RedHat and Canonical can afford to sign their Linux distributions.

I'm pretty sure companies like RedHat and Canonical can afford to sign their Linux distributions.

Well I am not using those. I am using Linux Mint 11 and Zorin OS. As they have the Windows start menu. And also they have the Broadcom Windows drivers needed to connect to Wifi on the internet.

And anyway,you don't have to buy Linux CDs. You just download the ISO file of what ever version of Linux you want and burn it to a CD.Andrea Borman.

Microsoft actually insists that PC makers give users an option to disable Secure Boot. So you can install XP, 7, Linux, etc.