Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

What do you mean by "limited"?

-Can only look at one PDF document at a time.

-Can only look at PDFs in fullscreen or in a non-resizable 25% portion at the left or right side of your screen (and for Metro Snap to even work, the horizontal resolution needs to be above 1366px).

That makes it almost completely useless for me. Fine on a tablet. Useless on a desktop computer or even laptop.

-Can only look at one PDF document at a time.

-Can only look at PDFs in fullscreen or in a non-resizable 25% portion at the left or right side of your screen (and for Metro Snap to even work, the horizontal resolution needs to be above 1366px).

That makes it almost completely useless for me. Fine on a tablet. Useless on a desktop computer or even laptop.

-Do you often read 2 papers at the same time?

-Fullscreen isn't an issue, you don't have wasted space for controls or others things. Then you can still alt+tab or use the mouse to switch from reading to others apps.

-Do you often read 2 papers at the same time?

I often reference a PDF while looking at another one, comparing text passages or combining information from different sources. So, while I may not be reading in parallel, I definitely like to have them in front of me at the same time.

-Fullscreen isn't an issue

Not an issue for you maybe.

Not a big poster to the forums, but with all the love/hate back and forthing going on over something as trivial as the default start display under Windows 8 thought I would at least leave my mark here as well.

First things first - I am and have been a loyal Windows user since the 3.1 days and have used and upgraded to each and every version without any issues for the most part - this would include the beloved ME and Vista. Add on top of those facts that I have also had the privelege to be an official beta tester for Windows dating back to Windows 2000. I am currently a Sr. Systems Admin/Network Admin for a mid size company.

Now that you can see my background a little, here goes.

I made the decision to go all in on the CP as I had just purchased a new laptop and typically wipe the factory install from the get go as a first step after opening it.

Downloaded the x64 version - used Microsoft DVD to USB tool to create a bootable thumb drive to install from and proceeded.

Laptop is a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook with 8GB Ram,128GB SSD powered by a Core i-5

Installed Windows 8 fresh after deleting both the recovery and main partition that it came with ( I downloaded all the Win 7 drivers from Samsung Website to a 2nd USB drive before this step )

Took literally less than 15 minutes to install and be presented with the login display

Like most of those ranting, I too was a little unnerved with the new Metro interface, more or less because it was different than what I was accustom.

Post install - everything worked and all the drivers were found for the hardware on my laptop. To include the Renesas USB 3.0 port.

Like most of the neowinians, I am very intuitive by nature when it comes to navigating around Windows and just naturally found all the little right clicks, how to close metro apps and the charm bar. Took me reading here to learn about the right click in the "magic corner" as I have heard it called to bring up the power tools menu I guess you would call it.

After about 3 days of running it and playing with the different apps and setting things up I decided to revert back to Windows 7 and wait out Windows 8, as I had sort of started forming an opinion that this may fail for the average consumer because the interface would simply confuse most without some sort of training.

Windows 7, which I love, lasted less than 24 hours before I switched back to Windows 8 - In less than 1 day I had missed the speed and intutive menus that Windows 8 provides over 7. I find that I stayed on the "Desktop" for the majority of the time and once I installed all my applications and made them the default "open with" apps, I never got pulled back into the Metro interface unless I went there - aside from the PC Settings portion.

The Metro interface is cool if you want to open Cut the Rope or Pinball FX - but I simply dont nor have any real reason to use it. Not a live tile fan, hence I never considered Windows Phone 7 interesting - but can understand those who do and dont discount there reasons at all, just not my cup of tea.

Where Metro will be a game changer if done correctly is the Tablet world - THIS will be the only thing that comes close to rivaling the juggernaugt of the iPad - just my opinion - but I refuse to buy a tablet until I can do everything on them that i can do with my laptop.

In closing I believe that Windows 8 will be a success if those that complain the loudest approach it with the mindset that it IS different and is the beginning of the evolution of the Desktop OS that we have come to know. This is not as big a change as Win 3.1 to Win 95 - as the only real change is the "Start Button" and its menus have been tile'ized and made into a full screen overlay I would call it. Underneath that Metro is the same Windows you are familiar with and the keyboard shortcuts if used for more than 3 days will become 2nd nature.

There will be changes for the better within 8 by the time it comes out for the masses - dont push back against the changes, embrace them because this is just the beginning of the start of a new manner of computing.

I often reference a PDF while looking at another one, comparing text passages or combining information from different sources. So, while I may not be reading in parallel, I definitely like to have them in front of me at the same time.

Not an issue for you maybe.

Right :)

And the license says that if you don't agree with it, don't break the seal and return it to the store... So your point was what again?

You don't see the license until after, and stores don't accept returns of opened software.

I think it is cruel,nasty and spiteful of Microsoft to take away our start menu. And block all attempts to disable the Metro theme and block all third party software from enabling the start menu. Maybe that's why they took away the start orb.Because it had some source code to enable the Windows 7 start menu.

Microsoft have violated our human rights by taking away our start menu.I think it is time for us to go to our President or Prime Minister and The European Court Of Human Rights.

Hopefully they will be sympathetic.

And the inventor who invented that horrible Metro theme. And took away our start menu will be given a life sentence in prison. Or sent to prison for a very long time.

And we will get an operating system that we can use with a start menu. And we may even get Windows 2000,Windows XP,and Windows Vista back on sale in the shops again. Andrea Borman.

Microsoft have violated out human rights by taking away our start menu.I think it is time for us to go to our President or Prime Minister and The European Court Of Human Rights.

And the inventor who invented that horrible Metro theme. And took away our start menu will be given a life sentence in prison. Or sent to prison for a very long time.

BAHAHAAHA. They see me trollin! :rofl:

I have mine installed on a spare 500GB drive I found in my PC toolbox and when I want to run it, I shutdown and unplug the Win7 drive and install the 500gb into it's place and run the system. then when I want to go back to win7, I unplug the 500gb drive and plug the win7 drive back in :)

I have mine installed on a spare 500GB drive I found in my PC toolbox and when I want to run it, I shutdown and unplug the Win7 drive and install the 500gb into it's place and run the system. then when I want to go back to win7, I unplug the 500gb drive and plug the win7 drive back in :)

I assume there's a simple answer to this, but why don't you just keep both drives in your computer so you don't have to swap between them all the time?

I think it is cruel,nasty and spiteful of Microsoft to take away our start menu. And block all attempts to disable the Metro theme and block all third party software from enabling the start menu. Maybe that's why they took away the start orb.Because it had some source code to enable the Windows 7 start menu.

Microsoft have violated out human rights by taking away our start menu.I think it is time for us to go to our President or Prime Minister and The European Court Of Human Rights.

And we will get an operating system that we can use with a start menu. And we may even get Windows 2000,Windows XP,and Windows Vista back on sale in the shops again. Andrea Borman.

what are you crying about

they won't force you to upgrade 1#

Windows 7 would still be available for 18 months after Windows 8 release , also would be fully supported till 2020 2#

and Windows is not your *right* , it is a privilege you get for the price you pay for "Windows license" ; for all they care the could stop selling it to OEM and start producing there own Microsoft branded computer and you would be SOL 3#

no one stopping you from staying with your current windows or converting to mac , Linux 4#

Andrea, dear - it's not funny any more. For someone who has only just learnt how to use computers, you show a staggering lack of desire to spend a day learning how to use a new piece of software.

I can only conclude from this rant and other similar ones that you are in fact spending money to troll a forum, which is very sad.

I'm running the Consumer Preview. I'd say I'm 99,9 % in Desktop mode. Metro mode only when I have to search.

I've also uninstalled most Metro apps so I don't risk flying into some huge stupid full screen mode when reading PDF:s for example.

Why not simply *add* a traditional PDF reader of your choice? ( installed the current version of Adobe Reader, which works just fine).

I have been using Winwdows DP for over 6 months but with the CP I have the following FLash issue. . . https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1061918-windows-8-flash-features-issue/page__p__594701298#entry594701298

I use it as my main machine but the flash issue is a biatch. . I also have installed the proper audio drivers which have fixed my magical crappy audio.

Well I have talked to lots of home computer users myself. And they all say that they would not be able to use an operating system with the Metro theme and no start menu.

I have started to look at Linux Operating Systems because of the threat of being stuck with Windows 8. And the irony of it is that even Ubnuntu that tries to look different from Windows has got a start menu. On Ubuntu,the taskbar is at the top of the screen. And on the left hand side you have the start menu.

And most versions of Linux,they have a start menu. So if they can put a start menu on Linux,which is for more experienced computer users. Why can't Microsoft do that on Windows 8?

You cannot use Windows 8 or any operating system with no start menu.

I hate the Metro theme. I want a Windows with a normal desktop and start menu. And if you read the Windows 8 forums at www.windows8forums.com and you read Windows 7 forums at www.windows7forums.com you will see that most people don't want the Metro theme. I am also a member of both Windows 7 forums and Windows 8 forums.

But I will never buy or use Windows 8 again. NO WAY.

Unless they make it with a normal start menu. Andrea Borman.

for the LAST TIME Andrea, Microsoft has not gotten rid of the Start Menu, the Start Screen has all the functionality (in some form or another) and more than the old start menu had

and seriously Andrea, you sound like a screaming child that didn't get their way :/

Andrea, they make an OS just for people like you - Mac OS :p

Forums are a great place for people to express opinions. But all Andrea is doing here is just flat out ranting, and she does this in a trollish manner. Either start contributing to the discussion or GTFO Andrea.

Nope. "You cannot use Windows 8 or any operating system with no start menu." ;)

That is exactly right you cannot. That's what I have been saying all along.You do need a start menu. And the Metro start menu is NOT a start menu,no.

tsupersonic wrote-

Andrea, they make an OS just for people like you - Mac OS

But a Mac netbook can cost over ?1000 pounds and I don't have that kind of money.And nether do most people. And I have seen Mac books in the shops and they just have a taskbar but no start menu.

And anyway I would not know how to use the Mac operating system.

And also you cannot install it on a Windows computer as the drivers will not work on Mac.Because they are not compatible.

But Microsoft have done this to us.That is taken away our start menu out of pure spite. And they don't care about what their customers want. Which is, a normal Windows desktop and start menu. Not the Metro theme and no start menu.

And also most people want Windows XP and Windows Vista back on the shelves in the shops. So that we can buy it again.

But you know what the shopkeepers are,they won't sell Windows XP or Windows Vista in their stores in England. You can only buy Windows XP and Windows Vista if you buy a second hand or reconditioned laptop. From a shop that sells those. Andrea Borman.

Good grief :D

Every new post has a dozen new, completely incorrect statements :D

Of course you can install Windows on a Macbook - Apple don't make their own components!

Andrea the start menu IS in Windows 8.... For the last freakin time, HERE IS THE PROOF:

Can we ban this stupid, stupid, ignorant and annoying user who just rants and doesn't actually want to listen / understand / acknowledge any information she is given?

^this.

And/or keep ignoring that stupid troll.