Photo

Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

• Please log in to reply
756 replies to this topic

#16 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:12

You really think that they will leave the antivirus activated after the first install on the final release ?
To me, including Windows Defender beta (or whatever version it is really), is only here for testing purpose. On the final version, I would guess that you'll have to manually download/install it, just like MSE.

#17 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:26

I'm pretty sure they said Windows Defender will be upgraded to include a Anti Virus and will be standard in Win 8 no need to download anything
you should be safe out of the box

#18 qdave

qdave

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:34

i will do so once beta comes along. Too lazy to reinstall os right now.

#19 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:39

I've been using it as a primary OS.

No problems so far. The only thing I don't like is I'm probably going to have to do a fresh install when the beta is released.

#20 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:44

8 is my primary OS.. and i cant wait to install beta...

#21 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:52

My daughter does cos I haven't given her a choice, on her netbook. I'm holding off until the beta before I go back to it cos I couldn't get steam to launch any of my games.

#22 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:57

I use it on my laptop which is used as a sandbox. There are quite a few bugs, but in the overall it runs fairly well.

#23 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 January 2012 - 18:59

Once upon a time I used to run Windows Longhorn 4053, or whatever it was and 4074 as my primary OS, I have since then grown up. I won't run beta or pre-beta software on a production machine as a primary OS, that's just inviting problems.

Ha! I did that too, back in the day. I might even have the DVD somewhere. My laptop was a 300mhz PII with 128mb of RAM. You should've seen how slow just moving the cursor was.

I'm running Windows 8 as a 2nd OS, but it's got too many inconsistencies with rebooting for me to use it often enough.

#24 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 21 January 2012 - 20:18

I'm running Windows 8 on an AMD Athlon 64 (Single Core) with 2GB DDR2. The performance is not bad. :) Honestly, when it comes to running programs, not much has been a trouble ; .NET 4, Software Compatibly, it all runs smoothly in the hend. Heck I run a local server and Web Develop on this PC. :p

I'm just really surprised I haven't gotten a BSOD like I have on Windows 7.

#25 Cereal Bawks

Cereal Bawks

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2012 - 22:17

I used to run it as main for a while. My Nvidia graphics card was acting up for a while already, I got fed up and switched to an ATI. Proper driver support is why I'm not on it anymore.

Waiting for beta 1 for a longer term setup, since I want to port my WP7 apps. Considering that it's ostensibly just another month or less away, I'm surprised that there weren't any invites to the tech beta yet.

#26 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:09

They kinda incorporated Windows Defender with MSE

The beta of Windows Defender included with the WDP *is* MSE - it even uses the same virus definitions (as does the commercial/enterprise version, Forefront Security).

The current public beta of MSE is the same code as Defender in Windows Developer Preview - the two will be even more closely matched when the public beta hits the Internet.

(The two - Defender in the WDP and the current MSE beta - are alike in another way; the real-time protection is far faster on the draw than the currently-non-beta version of MSE.)

#27 iwod

iwod

Neowinian

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:31

Well just to note i am actually running it Dual Boot using a Virtual HDD Method. So no partition splitting or anything complicated.

My work flow are mainly browsing the internet. So it has been working great.

#28 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:53

Been using the Dev Preview as my primary OS since it was released.
I have never had any issues with it. Performance wise, it beats Windows 7.

Hyper-V is one of the major reasons I will move to Windows 8.

Also, in terms of device management, 8 wins over any other OS I have used.

#29 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2012 - 21:08

Been using the Dev Preview as my primary OS since it was released.
I have never had any issues with it. Performance wise, it beats Windows 7.

Hyper-V is one of the major reasons I will move to Windows 8.

Also, in terms of device management, 8 wins over any other OS I have used.

Noticed that, did you?

8's Device Manger (and apparently the device management as well) is a lot finer-grained than any OS I've ever run.

Some Linux distributions come close - however, Windows 8 beats even them. (Device management is one advantage Linux distributions, in fact, have had over Windows up to, and including, 7 - however, Windows 8 is apparently planning on getting the title, or, at minimum, challenging seriously for it.)

I commented earlier on the performance and stability aspect of the WDP - upgrading from E3400 to Q6600 drives the point home with a jackhammer. (With i5-K decidedly next up, I honestly have no idea whether to cheer or cringe - I may wind up looking like the guinea pig that dared to ride that rocket-sled at Vandenberg AFB to a record speed - it left his face muscles semi-permanently pulled back.)

#30 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 22 January 2012 - 21:09

looking at installing it onto a VHD.