Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

• Please log in to reply
756 replies to this topic

#31 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 22 January 2012 - 22:32

Some Linux distributions come close - however, Windows 8 beats even them. (Device management is one advantage Linux distributions, in fact, have had over Windows up to, and including, 7 - however, Windows 8 is apparently planning on getting the title, or, at minimum, challenging seriously for it.)

I never could get any Linux distro to work with either my TP-Link or Cisco wireless usb dongle.
Installs perfectly, just drops the connection after I browse the Internet for about two minutes.

Happens with:
Ubuntu
Mint
PCLinuxOS
(all recent versions)

I like Linux. It just doesn't Like me.

#32 MuzzRX

MuzzRX

Neowinian

Posted 22 January 2012 - 23:11

I've been using it as my primary since it came out. Runs like a dream.

- Love the new combined copy dialogue and detailed stats
- Ribbon is working great, especially not having to drill into tools, folder options to show hidden/system and extensions anymore...

I am using that russian hack to get rid of the metro interface though... hate hitting the windows key brings up metro.... im sure this will be gone in beta or an option at least.

#33 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 22 January 2012 - 23:24

I am using that russian hack to get rid of the metro interface though... hate hitting the windows key brings up metro.... im sure this will be gone in beta or an option at least.

I don't believe MS will give you an option to disable the Metro start screen
They really want you to start using the Metro Apps.

You will start seeing more use for that menu screen once the Windows Store opens and you actually get some useful apps

For now i spend most of my time on the desktop, but i don't mind going to the start screen to start an app or start searching for something

#34 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 22 January 2012 - 23:31

Bear in the mind that more and more parts of the UI are likely to have been brought into consistency between DP and beta. I'm sure the goal is to have everything metro-ified by the end of things.

#35 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:53

Having used it for a couple of days, the thing I really don't like about the metro apps is that everything is full screen. I get this for tablets and whatnot, but why for PC?

Who wants to use twitter in full screen? Look at the weather in full screen?

It's almost like they've completely done away with the "Windows" of Windows if you want to use Metro.

#36 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:50

Since there is NO reason to prefer the old start menu over the metro start menu, then I don't see why they would do this optional.
I can already tell you that this hack won't work in the final release, I'm 99% sure that it will be.

Having used it for a couple of days, the thing I really don't like about the metro apps is that everything is full screen. I get this for tablets and whatnot, but why for PC?

Who wants to use twitter in full screen? Look at the weather in full screen?

It's almost like they've completely done away with the "Windows" of Windows if you want to use Metro.

That's why you can put appz side by side.

Example with the desktop & wheater appz (it also works with 2 metro apps) :
Posted Image

#37 bogas04

bogas04

This title is bogus

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:57

I use it as primary OS ! I have faced few bugs but then its anyways better for me :D

#38 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:03

Since there is NO reason to prefer the old start menu over the metro start menu, then I don't see why they would do this optional.
I can already tell you that this hack won't work in the final release, I'm 99% sure that it will be.

Posted Image

Ah, i haven't found out how to do that yet!

#39 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:14

Put your mouse on the left border, you should have a preview of an application. You can use scroll wheel to change the application.
Once you have the correct application, just drag&drop it to the left or right border.

#40 marc2003

marc2003

Neowinian

Posted 23 January 2012 - 14:27

i tried the dev preview but there's no way i could use it day to day. the lack of options for customising metro/arranging tiles/groups was painful. i'm definitely looking forward to the beta though.

#41 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 23 January 2012 - 14:55

They have since the Dev preview man updated allot of stuff all that stuff you could not do in the Dev preview you can now do so dont worry

#42 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 January 2012 - 22:50

I have it installed onto a separate partition on my ThinkPad, but I don't really use it a whole lot. Although that will probably change once the public beta comes out next month.

#43 techguy77

techguy77

Neowinian

Posted 28 January 2012 - 16:13

Posted Image

There will be way to kill Metro, i am sure. Based on what you claim that there is no reason to prefer old Start Menu? Your example of desktop and metro app next to each other is Microsoft attempt to fix broken workflow with Windows 8 so they figured let's do this, slap two interfaces which still have nothing to do with each other. Desktop itself excluding Taskbar which is very small portion of it is unused. There were so many ways to use that desktop space but instead they came up with whole new interface.

#44 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 28 January 2012 - 16:30

Metro makes me want to kick babies. And it's a damn shame too since the other advancements in win 8 (new task manager, file copy dialogs, explorer ribbon etc....) are so freakin awesome. Metro just ruins the whole experience.

#45 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 January 2012 - 20:37

The dev previews metro apps and layout weren't terribly impressive, but based on what they've said has been changed I'm going to love it.

I had problems with .NET 1.1 so the dev preview wasn't for me, but I'm definately installing the beta in some form. I don't know if it will be my primary OS but I suspect so.