Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

One wonders why anyone would go to the trouble of installing a not even beta OS then proceed to disable all the new features to make it look and feel like WindowsXP? Would have been better off not upgrading at all from XP in the first place.

i totally agree, if you want it to be like something old and out dated then just use the older software. not to be mean to Andrea but she does have what i personly think is a bad habit of trying to for better lack of words 'down grade' new software.. even doing this like wanting Windows 98 icons on WIndows 7... buy each to there own i guess

The beta of Windows Defender included with the WDP *is* MSE - it even uses the same virus definitions (as does the commercial/enterprise version, Forefront Security).

The current public beta of MSE is the same code as Defender in Windows Developer Preview - the two will be even more closely matched when the public beta hits the Internet.

(The two - Defender in the WDP and the current MSE beta - are alike in another way; the real-time protection is far faster on the draw than the currently-non-beta version of MSE.)

Yep, they are going to rename MSE to Windows Defender in Windows 8 and combine the two. Whether it will come integrated as it is now, needs to be seen. I think the Windows 7 version will also see a name change once Windows 8 is launched.

It makes sense for something as integral as anti-virus to be built into the Operating System, and the best people to do that are those that design the OS - I don't see it being a similar case to web browsers, although I'm sure some AV companies will try and draw that comparison.

Probably they will keep the AV engine disabled by default in the new windows defender. User would probably be able to enable it from the action center and to prevent antitrust, action center mght also provide links to competing antivirus softwares as well.

Anthonyd' Wrote-

Are you aware that you are tring a Developer preview and not the final product? On the DP, the maketplace is closed and you have any usefull metro apps despite mini games. You can't state that metro apps are useless. Also it seems that you have disabled anything related to metro in less than a day (even the start page which is better than the old start menu) ? You barely gave it a try

Well I am using Windows 8. True, I am using it the same way as I am using Windows 7 and Windows XP. But that is the way I want it.I am running all of my Windows XP,Vista and 7 software on Windows 8. And as I explained in my earlier posts all of the software works on Windows 8 except for Windows Mail.

The classic shell is out of the code, this tweak won't work in the final product. Also unless you are crazy, there are no reasons to prefer the old menus other the ribbon (which is now minimized per default).

Finally, I don't see why you keep using Chrome since it's a spyware, but that's off topic.

Classic Shell was made in response to many Windows 7 users who complained that the Classic start menu was removed from Windows 7. Even though it is in Windows XP and Windows Vista. And I read that many people did not want to upgrade to Windows 7 for this reason.

The latest version of Classic Shell has been made compatible for Windows 8. And you say that Classic Shell will not work in the final build of Windows 8. How do you know this?

Many software makers make their software compatible for the newest versions of Windows. Some software did not used to work on Windows 7, but it does now. When Microsoft bring out a new version of Windows they normally stop selling the old versions. So if they stop selling Windows 7 and replace it with Windows 8,most Windows users will want to use the software that they had on Windows 7,Windows XP and Windows Vista on Windows 8. So software makers will have to make it compatible with Windows 8.

There are other software's apart from Classic Shell that will give you a Classic Start menu in Windows 7 and would most probably work on Windows 8. But Classic Shell is more user friendly and it is free and has a lot of features.

Here is a self made list of the new things in Windows 8 which aren't related to "Metro" :

-Storage spaces.

-Key managers.

-New menu to restore deleted file (which is an improved version of the "restore previous version" option in 7).

-Settings saved on the cloud.

-Windows Live account linked to the OS.

-The quick network restore when getting out of sleep mode.

-Aerolite.

-Random coloured window using Aero.

-New lock screen with push notification.

-New kernel with DEP mandatory for drivers and ASLR should be now supported.

-Secure boot.

And there are a lot more things that I haven't put on that list, so yeah it's totally like Windows 7, right? DERP.

Oh. I did not know that. But then I have Windows 8 installed on a netbook,my HP Mini 210 with 1GB ram. So it may not support al of those things. And as it was a Windows 7 computer,there is no secure boot. But while the Metro theme may suit some people other users like me and I think most Windows users will use the Windows 7 start menu.

Because most people like me have limited experience with computers. And it is easier and more practical to use the Windows 7 start menu for everyday use. But I cannot say if or not it is faster than Windows 7. The boot and start up and shut down is faster than Windows 7. But in some other ways it is slightly slower than Windows 7.

And although I have turned User Account Control off as it is ANNOYING. I have not been able to disable or turn off Smart Screen. And although Smart Screen as not stopped me doing anything on my computer. I want to turn it off as I do not need pop ups from Windows every time I install or run software it does not recognise. But I think in this build of windows 8 they have made it so you cannot turn off Smart Screen.As I have read on the web that other Windows 8 users cannot turn off Smart Screen either. But Smart Screen has not stopped me doing anything I want to do on my computer. But I still do not want it any more than I want UAC.

I think because of the Metro theme and the fact that it can support multiple monitors. And the fact that there is no Windows Classic theme. Which disables Aero and transparency,Windows 8 could be using more ram and resources than Windows 7. So Windows 8 may not save as much energy as Windows 7 or Windows XP. Andrea Borman.

Well I am using Windows 8. True, I am using it the same way as I am using Windows 7 and Windows XP. But that is the way I want it.I am running all of my Windows XP,Vista and 7 software on Windows 8. And as I explained in my earlier posts all of the software works on Windows 8 except for Windows Mail.

You aren't using it "the way you want it", but "the way you are used to it". While I understand that it's hard for some people to get rid of their habits, you have to understand that it's being changed to make it easier. And you have to give it a try for more than 10min before Googling for the first unofficial patch/hack that will turn it back like it used to be 10 years ago.

Classic Shell was made in response to many Windows 7 users who complained that the Classic start menu was removed from Windows 7. Even though it is in Windows XP and Windows Vista. And I read that many people did not want to upgrade to Windows 7 for this reason.

The latest version of Classic Shell has been made compatible for Windows 8. And you say that Classic Shell will not work in the final build of Windows 8. How do you know this?

Many software makers make their software compatible for the newest versions of Windows. Some software did not used to work on Windows 7, but it does now. When Microsoft bring out a new version of Windows they normally stop selling the old versions. So if they stop selling Windows 7 and replace it with Windows 8,most Windows users will want to use the software that they had on Windows 7,Windows XP and Windows Vista on Windows 8. So software makers will have to make it compatible with Windows 8.

There are other software's apart from Classic Shell that will give you a Classic Start menu in Windows 7 and would most probably work on Windows 8. But Classic Shell is more user friendly and it is free and has a lot of features.

Classic shell is using some code (program) that has been removed from Windows, there is no way to make it come back. It's dead, get used to it. Maybe somebody will find a way to bring something similar in the upcoming month, but for now it's not possible.

Also, as said many times before, there is no reason to prefer the classic start menu (XP or Vista/7) over the new one.

Oh. I did not know that. But then I have Windows 8 installed on a netbook,my HP Mini 210 with 1GB ram. So it may not support al of those things. And as it was a Windows 7 computer,there is no secure boot. But while the Metro theme may suit some people other users like me and I think most Windows users will use the Windows 7 start menu.

Most Windows users will use the menu start menu since it's here per default and much much better than the old one.

Because most people like me have limited experience with computers. And it is easier and more practical to use the Windows 7 start menu for everyday use. But I cannot say if or not it is faster than Windows 7. The boot and start up and shut down is faster than Windows 7. But in some other ways it is slightly slower than Windows 7.

And although I have turned User Account Control off as it is ANNOYING. I have not been able to disable or turn off Smart Screen. And although Smart Screen as not stopped me doing anything on my computer. I want to turn it off as I do not need pop ups from Windows every time I install or run software it does not recognise. But I think in this build of windows 8 they have made it so you cannot turn off Smart Screen.As I have read on the web that other Windows 8 users cannot turn off Smart Screen either. But Smart Screen has not stopped me doing anything I want to do on my computer. But I still do not want it any more than I want UAC.

I think because of the Metro theme and the fact that it can support multiple monitors. And the fact that there is no Windows Classic theme. Which disables Aero and transparency,Windows 8 could be using more ram and resources than Windows 7. So Windows 8 may not save as much energy as Windows 7 or Windows XP. Andrea Borman.

You are part of those "cancers users" who just disable everything new because "it's different". The UAC has been made to be annoying according to MS because the applications where requiring to be run as administrator when not needed. And it worked really well since many applications nowaday are running fine without requiring admin rights.

Feel free to run with UAC turned OFF, but don't complain about Windows being "unsecured" when you just removed all the protection implemented in Windows. Also, FYI, metro apps can't run with admin priviledge, so you'll never see an UAC popup when trying to run a metro apps.

Finally, at the //build/ conference in september, MS showed that the RAM used by Windows 8 is lower than 7. It has been claimed that any Windows 7 PC can run Windows 8 just fine since it requires more or less ressources.

Now if you just want to run XP, then go back & install XP, I don't think that it would be wise to buy a Windows 8 upgrade licence if you don't plan to use any of the new features included in the OS.

You are stucked in 2001, too bad for you.

You really think that they will leave the antivirus activated after the first install on the final release ?

To me, including Windows Defender beta (or whatever version it is really), is only here for testing purpose. On the final version, I would guess that you'll have to manually download/install it, just like MSE.

I think they must. They can no longer justify doing things half way, because of everything that must be completely ready for the user within the ARM version. IE on ARM must work 100% without any hitches whatsoever. Any negative PR on any version would be costly, and all at a time where MS is worried about it's cash-flow. That's one reason I bet the ARM version will be pushed far past the x86/64 date. If they didn't do it this way, what were they going to tell everyone else running an x86/64 version? Well, we wanted to give you a choice on your PC, but you have no choice at all on your ARM device? If they did that, the devices wouldn't appeal "the same" which is what MS is banking on, even though they are not remotely the same at this point.

Well I only got my first home computer a Windows 7 Starter netbook in April 2010. Before that I was using Internet cafes. And I only learned to use the computer in 2006. When the person sitting next to me in the Internet cafe showed me. Before that I did not even know how to use a mouse. But it was another 2 years before I learned to do email in 2008.

Since I got my first home computer in April 2010,I now have 6 laptops. 3 windows 7 netbooks and 2 Windows XP netbooks. I bought the 2 Windows XP netbooks last year which were the last in the store. As in England you can no longer buy Windows XP or Windows Vista unless you buy second hand or reconditioned. So I was very lucky to get these 2 Windows XP netboks brand new.

And in addition to that I have the netbook with Windows 8 installed on it. Which is running as my only operating system on that netbook.

But because I started learning to use the computer so late and I only got my first laptop 2 years ago. I missed out on Windows 2000,Windows 98 and the other versions of Windows. If I had bought my own laptop years ago I could have had lots of Windows 2000 laptops and lots of Windows XP laptops now. But I have got 2 Windows XP laptops.

But my computer skills are limited. I don't know how to back up my operating system or how to create recovery disks. I have not got a clue.

that is probably why I messed up my Windows 8 install and it install OVER Windows 7 by mistake AND it wiped out my recovery partition and data. I did not want that to happen I meant to install Windows 8 as duel boot. Not wipe out Windows 7 completely.

But I did some thing wrong with the Install. But I do have Windows 8 on that netbook now. But the problem is that it is not a permanent version of Windows 8. And it will expire soon. So I hope I can upgrade or do a clean install of Windows 8 beta.

If not I will have to reinstall windows 7. But as it is a netbook like all of my others with no CD drive. I will have to buy a CD drive that I can plug into my USB plug socket and a full installation Windows 7 CD. So that I can install windows 7 again if I have to.

And now that the Windows 8 install has wiped out my recovery partition and data. So I cannot even do a factory restore to get Windows 7 back. I need a CD drive so that i can back up my operating system. Which I don't know how to do. Andrea Borman.

You aren't using it "the way you want it", but "the way you are used to it". While I understand that it's hard for some people to get rid of their habits, you have to understand that it's being changed to make it easier. And you have to give it a try for more than 10min before Googling for the first unofficial patch/hack that will turn it back like it used to be 10 years ago.

Classic shell is using some code (program) that has been removed from Windows, there is no way to make it come back. It's dead, get used to it. Maybe somebody will find a way to bring something similar in the upcoming month, but for now it's not possible.

Also, as said many times before, there is no reason to prefer the classic start menu (XP or Vista/7) over the new one.

Most Windows users will use the menu start menu since it's here per default and much much better than the old one.

You are part of those "cancers users" who just disable everything new because "it's different". The UAC has been made to be annoying according to MS because the applications where requiring to be run as administrator when not needed. And it worked really well since many applications nowaday are running fine without requiring admin rights.

Feel free to run with UAC turned OFF, but don't complain about Windows being "unsecured" when you just removed all the protection implemented in Windows. Also, FYI, metro apps can't run with admin priviledge, so you'll never see an UAC popup when trying to run a metro apps.

Finally, at the //build/ conference in september, MS showed that the RAM used by Windows 8 is lower than 7. It has been claimed that any Windows 7 PC can run Windows 8 just fine since it requires more or less ressources.

Now if you just want to run XP, then go back & install XP, I don't think that it would be wise to buy a Windows 8 upgrade licence if you don't plan to use any of the new features included in the OS.

Well, He's not wrong about much of that, UAC is a mess on most domains. Many of it's controls do not function from the top down. You cannot just go back and install something like XP that has no support, protection, IE9/10, 64bit, drivers, and the list goes on. Don't you believe that the corporate world would do just that if it were a viable option? The real issue is that there is no other good option out there at this time.

Well I only got my first home computer a Windows 7 Starter netbook in April 2010. Before that I was using Internet cafes. And I only learned to use the computer in 2006. When the person sitting next to me in the Internet cafe showed me. Before that I did not even know how to use a mouse. But it was another 2 years before I learned to do email in 2008.

Since I got my first home computer in April 2010,I now have 6 laptops. 3 windows 7 netbooks and 2 Windows XP netbooks. I bought the 2 Windows XP netbooks last year which were the last in the store. As in England you can no longer buy Windows XP or Windows Vista unless you buy second hand or reconditioned. So I was very lucky to get these 2 Windows XP netboks brand new.

And in addition to that I have the netbook with Windows 8 installed on it. Which is running as my only operating system on that netbook.

But because I started learning to use the computer so late and I only got my first laptop 2 years ago. I missed out on Windows 2000,Windows 98 and the other versions of Windows. If I had bought my own laptop years ago I could have had lots of Windows 2000 laptops and lots of Windows XP laptops now. But I have got 2 Windows XP laptops.

But my computer skills are limited. I don't know how to back up my operating system or how to create recovery disks. I have not got a clue.

that is probably why I messed up my Windows 8 install and it install OVER Windows 7 by mistake AND it wiped out my recovery partition and data. I did not want that to happen I meant to install Windows 8 as duel boot. Not wipe out Windows 7 completely.

But I did some thing wrong with the Install. But I do have Windows 8 on that netbook now. But the problem is that it is not a permanent version of Windows 8. And it will expire soon. So I hope I can upgrade or do a clean install of Windows 8 beta.

If not I will have to reinstall windows 7. But as it is a netbook like all of my others with no CD drive. I will have to buy a CD drive that I can plug into my USB plug socket and a full installation Windows 7 CD. So that I can install windows 7 again if I have to.

And now that the Windows 8 install has wiped out my recovery partition and data. So I cannot even do a factory restore to get Windows 7 back. I need a CD drive so that i can back up my operating system. Which I don't know how to do. Andrea Borman.

Have you given MAC a try? I'm a Windows guy myself, but only because that's what I must deal with at work. My family however is quickly turning MAC, simply because it's easy for them. I also have not had to do anything more than show them how to plug in an IP for a network printer, which after showing once they can do now.

I think they must. They can no longer justify doing things half way, because of everything that must be completely ready for the user within the ARM version. IE on ARM must work 100% without any hitches whatsoever. Any negative PR on any version would be costly, and all at a time where MS is worried about it's cash-flow. That's one reason I bet the ARM version will be pushed far past the x86/64 date. If they didn't do it this way, what were they going to tell everyone else running an x86/64 version? Well, we wanted to give you a choice on your PC, but you have no choice at all on your ARM device? If they did that, the devices wouldn't appeal "the same" which is what MS is banking on, even though they are not remotely the same at this point.

Anyone understood this? If so plz explain it :D

You messed up because you didn't take the time to read carefully the instructions, nor you took the time to read the popup telling you that you'll wipe your HDD with 7 and the recovery partition.

I find it hard to believe that you know how to disable UAC but that you don't know how to backup your PC, especially since Windows has built in tool to do so in a few clicks.

Well, He's not wrong about much of that, UAC is a mess on most domains. Many of it's controls do not function from the top down. You cannot just go back and install something like XP that has no support, protection, IE9/10, 64bit, drivers, and the list goes on. Don't you believe that the corporate world would do just that if it were a viable option? The real issue is that there is no other good option out there at this time.

XP is still supported until 2014 IIRC :)

Company don't want to upgrade because it will costs them a LOT of money. They have to buy 7 licence + Office licence & rebuild internal applications and the intranet websites working with IE6 only.

Have you given MAC a try? I'm a Windows guy myself, but only because that's what I must deal with at work. My family however is quickly turning MAC, simply because it's easy for them. I also have not had to do anything more than show them how to plug in an IP for a network printer, which after showing once they can do now.

Windows isn't more complicated than Mac OsX, that's pure FUD.

Anthonyd wrote-You aren't using it "the way you want it", but "the way you are used to it". While I understand that it's hard for some people to get rid of their habits, you have to understand that it's being changed to make it easier. And you have to give it a try for more than 10min before Googling for the first unofficial patch/hack that will turn it back like it used to be 10 years ago.

Well it is not a system hack that brings back the Windows 7 start menu. It is a simple registry edit. You just change the D word from 1 to 0 and the Windows 7 start menu is back. And there are several software's that also do this for you. And some allow you to switch from Metro to Windows 7 start menu.

So it is not a major hack.

I think in the final release there will be an option to have the Metro theme or the Windows 7 start menu. And most people will choose the Windows 7 start menu. As they are home computer users like me who won't understand Metro.

No I did not find much problems using the Metro theme. But it is better to use the Windows 7 start menu. Andrea Borman.

Well it is not a system hack that brings back the Windows 7 start menu. It is a simple registry edit. You just change the D word from 1 to 0 and the Windows 7 start menu is back. And there are several software's that also do this for you. And some allow you to switch from Metro to Windows 7 start menu.

So it is not a major hack.

I think in the final release there will be an option to have the Metro theme or the Windows 7 start menu. And most people will choose the Windows 7 start menu. As they are home computer users like me who won't understand Metro.

No I did not find much problems using the Metro theme. But it is better to use the Windows 7 start menu. Andrea Borman.

It won't work anymore. Why is that hard for you to understand? The old start menu is out of the code, you can't bring it back! The WDP is a very early build, it's only here as a tech demo for devs, hence it's name. It's not meant to be used as a main OS, especially for non-devs.

If people don't understand Metro, then they are cleary dumb, because clicking "mail" to check mail or "internet" to browse the web isn't really hard to understand.

Anyone understood this? If so plz explain it :D

You messed up because you didn't take the time to read carefully the instructions, nor you took the time to read the popup telling you that you'll wipe your HDD with 7 and the recovery partition.

I find it hard to believe that you know how to disable UAC but that you don't know how to backup your PC, especially since Windows has built in tool to do so in a few clicks.

XP is still supported until 2014 IIRC :)

Company don't want to upgrade because it will costs them a LOT of money. They have to buy 7 licence + Office licence & rebuild internal applications and the intranet websites working with IE6 only.

Windows isn't more complicated than Mac OsX, that's pure FUD.

XP is only supported in bugs, not "dependent" features, browsers, some drivers, and the list goes on. As for functionality on a PC, what is worth the cost "IF" these problems did not exist on XP? What if IE10 worked just as well on XP as it does on an ARM phone sized tablet! LOL :huh:

I don't have to fix many MAC computers, whatever the reason. Just being honest here, I'm not a MAC guy myself. But, that does not excuse MS from the truth. :/

Anthonyd wrote-It won't work anymore. Why is that hard for you to understand? The old start menu is out of the code, you can't bring it back! The WDP is a very early build, it's only here as a tech demo for devs, hence it's name. It's not meant to be used as a main OS, especially for non-devs.

If people don't understand Metro, then they are cleary dumb, because clicking "mail" to check mail or "internet" to browse the web isn't really hard to understand.

How do you know all of this?

It has not been confirmed by Microsoft that we won't be able to have the Windows 7 Start menu in the final version of Windows 8.

And as the registry edit and software such as Metro Controller works in Windows 8. And does bring back the Windows 7 start menu. Then the option to have a Windows 7 start menu is there,but just a hidden feature.

There are other themes you can have in both Windows 7 and Windows XP. This is visual styles which involves installing software that patches Windows. So you can have full Aero Glass theme in Windows XP. And Make both Windows XP look like Linux or Mac. And can also install other themes on Windows that are not supported.

But the problem with this is that it does hack the system. And as a result you may not be able to Validate Windows until you remove the patch.

I found this to be the case when I installed Aero enabler in my Windows 7 Starter to enable Aero Glass theme. Windows would not validate while the Aero patch was installed. But when I uninstalled the software,Windows did validate again.

So there are ways to customise Windows but some things you do at your own risk of messing up Windows.

But turning the Metro theme off is not one of these things that will damage Windows 8 no. Andrea Borman.

How do you know all of this?

It has not been confirmed by Microsoft that we won't be able to have the Windows 7 Start menu in the final version of Windows 8.

And as the registry edit and software such as Metro Controller works in Windows 8. And does bring back the Windows 7 start menu. Then the option to have a Windows 7 start menu is there,but just a hidden feature.

There are other themes you can have in both Windows 7 and Windows XP. This is visual styles which involves installing software that patches Windows. So you can have full Aero Glass theme in Windows XP. And Make both Windows XP look like Linux or Mac. And can also install other themes on Windows that are not supported.

But the problem with this is that it does hack the system. And as a result you may not be able to Validate Windows until you remove the patch.

I found this to be the case when I installed Aero enabler in my Windows 7 Starter to enable Aero Glass theme. Windows would not validate while the Aero patch was installed. But when I uninstalled the software,Windows did validate again.

So there are ways to customise Windows but some things you do at your own risk of messing up Windows.

But turning the Metro theme off is not one of these things that will damage Windows 8 no. Andrea Borman.

It's already been confirmed that they did hide the start button so that you need to hover the mouse over the bottom left corner to view it, and this is how it will be in the beta. In all probability, the new hidden start menu will make it too the final version in some form as this is not an experimental feature they simply want to test in the beta.

Also, it depends on what patch you use for visual styles and how invasive it is. There are patches that work perfectly fine without affecting the validation process, including ones for turning metro off. Although, I still fail to see why one would want to turn it off rather than just getting used to it.

It's already been confirmed that they did hide the start button so that you need to hover the mouse over the bottom left corner to view it, and this is how it will be in the beta. In all probability, the new hidden start menu will make it too the final version in some form as this is not an experimental feature they simply want to test in the beta.

Also, it depends on what patch you use for visual styles and how invasive it is. There are patches that work perfectly fine without affecting the validation process, including ones for turning metro off. Although, I still fail to see why one would want to turn it off rather than just getting used to it.

Yes, I have just read on the web that Windows 8 consumer version, which is a beta version. That is due out on 29th February 2012. That the consumer version will not have the start orb button on the left hand corner of the taskbar, that brings up the start menu. Instead there will be a hotspot in bottom right hand corner to launch the Metro start menu.

But then on Windows 7 and Windows XP you can move your taskbar to the left or right hand side or to the top of the screen.Meaning the start orb is at the top or on the right instead of left. So that won't affect Windows users that much.

But if you read the Windows 8 forums many Windows 8 users have disabled the Metro theme. And are using the Windows 7 start menu instead. And will continue to do so in the beta and final version of Windows 8.

And in the final version there will probably be a setting to switch from the Metro to the Windows 7 start menu. Instead of having to go into the registry to do it,as we have to do now.

There are other ways to access your programs and settings while in Metro,without having to go into the Metro start menu. One is that you can still pin your short cuts to the desktop and taskbar. The same way you would in Windows 7 and Windows XP. And another way is that you can go into Windows Explorer and launch the program you want. By going into your programs file and launching the program from there.

Better still put the My Computer short cut and My Network short cut on your desktop like I do. If you look in my pictures you will see that most of the programs I have are pinned to my desktop. As even on Windows 7 and Windows XP,not all programs show up in the start menu. This is true of programs that are installed as a zip file. Where you have to pin them to the start menu and desktop yourself.

But when you are in the Metro theme you just click the desktop tile and you will get to your desktop and all of the icons on your desktop are there. Just like they are on Windows 7,if you have pinned them to your desktop. Which is a good idea if you are using the Metro theme.

Another alternative if you want to use the Metro theme and have a start menu at the same time is to install Classic Shell. Which will give you the Windows XP,classic and Windows Vista and 7 start menu while you are in the Metro theme. As well as when you have turned off the Metro theme. Andrea Borman.

Wait, arent there noticeable file system differences between XP and 7? Then why would anyone even want to install XP again if its outdated? She wants to install the most up to date OS with the look and feel of something she is comfortable with. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, I have just read on the web that Windows 8 consumer version, which is a beta version. That is due out on 29th February 2012. That the consumer version will not have the start orb button on the left hand corner of the taskbar, that brings up the start menu. Instead there will be a hotspot in bottom right hand corner to launch the Metro start menu.

But then on Windows 7 and Windows XP you can move your taskbar to the left or right hand side or to the top of the screen.Meaning the start orb is at the top or on the right instead of left. So that won't affect Windows users that much.

But if you read the Windows 8 forums many Windows 8 users have disabled the Metro theme. And are using the Windows 7 start menu instead. And will continue to do so in the beta and final version of Windows 8.

And in the final version there will probably be a setting to switch from the Metro to the Windows 7 start menu. Instead of having to go into the registry to do it,as we have to do now.

There are other ways to access your programs and settings while in Metro,without having to go into the Metro start menu. One is that you can still pin your short cuts to the desktop and taskbar. The same way you would in Windows 7 and Windows XP. And another way is that you can go into Windows Explorer and launch the program you want. By going into your programs file and launching the program from there.

Better still put the My Computer short cut and My Network short cut on your desktop like I do. If you look in my pictures you will see that most of the programs I have are pinned to my desktop. As even on Windows 7 and Windows XP,not all programs show up in the start menu. This is true of programs that are installed as a zip file. Where you have to pin them to the start menu and desktop yourself.

But when you are in the Metro theme you just click the desktop tile and you will get to your desktop and all of the icons on your desktop are there. Just like they are on Windows 7,if you have pinned them to your desktop. Which is a good idea if you are using the Metro theme.

Another alternative if you want to use the Metro theme and have a start menu at the same time is to install Classic Shell. Which will give you the Windows XP,classic and Windows Vista and 7 start menu while you are in the Metro theme. As well as when you have turned off the Metro theme. Andrea Borman.

I might be wrong, but from what i have read, there will be NO option to get the old start menu back.

MS wants a clean start and wants to push everybody over to Metro.

And if you think about it, the new start screen is just a very large start menu with some extra cool options, so what's the problem?

Andrea, if you say you installed Win8 on a netbook, what is the max resolution on that?

I'm sure I read something about a minimum resolution before you can use Metro properly

Wait, arent there noticeable file system differences between XP and 7? Then why would anyone even want to install XP again if its outdated? She wants to install the most up to date OS with the look and feel of something she is comfortable with. Nothing wrong with that.

Well in England you can no longer buy Windows XP or Windows Vista.You can only buy Windows 7. You cannot even buy the Windows XP or Vista CDs. That is wrong as I think that Windows users should be able to choose what version of Windows they want.

If it was up to me,I would make it so that you could buy all of the versions of Windows. And then Windows XP,windows 2000 and the other versions of Windows would still be on sale. And you could then just pick the one you want. But unfortunately that is not the case.

Linux users can choose what version of Linux they use.So why can't Windows users. I would like to try Windows 2000 but they don't sell that any more. And if they do what they did with Windows XP and Windows Vista. And stop selling Windows 7,when our computer wears out.We will have to buy Windows 8. So if I must use Windows 8 then I want to use it the same way I use Windows XP and Windows 7.

Windows 7 is very much the same as Windows XP,that is why most Windows XP programs run on Windows 7. And they have Windows Classic theme on Windows 7.Which turns off Aero theme. On Windows 8 there is no Windows Classic and there is only Windows 7 Basic which is part Aero. But it does not matter as it is still a start menu when you turn off Metro.

And to my surprise Windows Movie Maker 2.1 which is for Windows XP, works on Windows 8, and so does the web cam feature. And all of the other versions of Windows Movie Maker 6 and 2.6 works on Windows 8. And I have even downgraded WMP 12 to WMP 11 on Windows 8. And so WMP 11 works on Windows 8.

I think that Windows 8 must share the same source code as Windows 2000,Windows XP and Windows Vista. Just like Windows 7 does.That is why most software for Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 2000,98 and 95 works on Windows 8.Which is good news for Windows users. Andrea Borman.

I really dont think you want to try Windows 2000 :rofl:

What is Windows 2000 like? I don't think it supports wireless broadband or does it? Andrea Borman.

What is Windows 2000 like? I don't think it supports wireless broadband or does it? Andrea Borman.

Yes that's correct, youll need to use a 3rd party application to configure the wireless because unlike XP, it does not have the feature built-in to the OS.

Hmmm overall I actually had a decent experience with 2000, it did not ever really crash on me and I seemed to have fewer complaints then many others at the time.

But the main problem was driver compatability... I would say the sluggish performance people complained about was because of the outdated hardware they were installing on.

When XP came around it seemed to blow it out of the water :shifty:

Home consumers shouldn't be using anything else but Windows7, or maybe Vista with the latest Service Pack.

Older versions of Windows are no longer supported my MS and are just not as secure or prepared for all the new hardware we are using these days.