92 Open Source Apps That Replace Everyday Software

Some of the best open source applications available for home, school, small business or enterprise users.

If you've never tried open source software, you might think that free applications couldn't possibly be as good as those you pay for. This list might change your mind.

Nearly two years ago, we put together a list of 75 Open Source Tools to Replace Apps You Use Every Day. This year, we made that list a little longer, edited out some of the projects that are no longer actively maintained, updated our descriptions and added some newer projects.

On this list, you'll find a mix of apps for home users, schools, small businesses and enterprises. These applications are all noteworthy for their ease of use and overall quality. In fact, you might even find some that are arguably better than their commercial counterparts.

If you know of other open source projects that you think should be on the list the next time we do an update, feel free to make a suggestion in the comments section below.

Audio/Music

1. Amarok Replaces: iTunes

Like iTunes, Amarok helps you manage and play your music. It integrates with a large number of Web services, including Last.fm, Ampache, Magnatune, Echo Nest and others, so that you can discover new music, and it offers a unique dynamic playlist feature that allows you to search for and play songs by typing phrases like "tracks from around the year 1982." Operating System: Windows, Linux, OS X

2. aTunes Replaces: iTunes

Java-based aTunes offers a customizable, intuitive user interface for organizing large music collections and playing most types of audio files. Notable features include a karaoke function, an easy-to-use navigator for finding songs and artists quickly, multiple playlists, filters, Last.fm integration, podcast support and advanced statistics about songs played. Operating System: OS Independent

3. Jajuk Replaces: iTunes

Critically acclaimed Jajuk has been called "a powerful iTunes replacement" and "the most powerful jukebox out there." Designed for those with large or scattered music collections, it's extremely fast and intuitive and offers helpful functions like the digital DJ rules-based playlist, advanced rating system, smart shuffle, quick copy and more. Operating System: OS Independent

4. Songbird Replaces: iTunes

Because it also comes in an Android version, this iTunes replacement lets you sync your music collection between your desktop and your smartphone or tablet. It boasts an attractive interface, integrated artist info and the ability to purchase tracks or concert tickets right from the app. Operating System: Windows, OS X, Android

Backup

5. Amanda Replaces: CommVault Simpana, Arkeia, Barracuda Backup Service, Zetta

Amanda calls itself the "most popular open source backup and recovery software in the world" and boasts more than 500,000 users. In addition to the free open source version, it's also available in a supported enterprise version or as a hosted cloud-based service through Zmanda. Operating System: Windows, Linux, OS X.

6. Areca Backup Replaces: Carbonite, Nova Backup, Acronis True Image

Best for home users, Areca Backup offers a simple but flexible interface for backing up a single PC or a network. It offers encryption, compression, Delta backup capabilities, as of date recovery and more. Operating System: Windows, Linux

7. Clonezilla Replaces: Norton Ghost

Clonezilla's developers specifically designed it as a replacement for Norton Ghost. This bare metal backup and recovery program comes in two free versions: Clonezilla Live for backing up or cloning a single PC and Clonezilla Server for backing up networks or cloning multiple PCs at once. Operating System: Linux

Blogging

8. WordPress Replaces: TypePad

Used by more than 60 million bloggers, WordPress is one of the best known blogging applications available. You can download the software for free and host it on your own Web server or you can use the hosted service available through WordPress.com. Operating System: OS Independent

Browsers

9. Firefox Replaces: Internet Explorer

Available in both mobile and desktop versions, Firefox offers better speed, personalization and security than Microsoft's browser. Key features include the "Awesome Bar" for easier Web searches, tabbed browsing, one-touch bookmarking and more. Operating System: Windows, Linux, OS X, Android.

Compression

10. PeaZip Replaces: WinZip

While WinZip creates just one type of files, PeaZip can write to 12 different archive formats and read more than 130 different kinds of compressed files. It also supports self-extracting archives, strong encryption, two-factor authentication, secure deletion and other functions. Operating System: Windows, Linux, OS X

Content Management

11. Alfresco Replaces: Sharepoint

Used by companies like Toyota, Fox, Land's End, Marriott, Merck and many others, this multi-function solution combines document management, records management andWeb content management with a number of other enterprise collaboration features. The core software is available for free, but paid support, training, consulting and a cloud-based version are also available. Operating System: Windows, Linux, OS X

12. Drupal Replaces: OpenText,Sitecore CMS, Kentico

With more than 630,000 users and developers in its community, Drupal is a tremendously popular Web content management system. Its users include publishers like the New York Observer and Popular Science, universities like Harvard and MIT, and well-known brand names like MTV and AOL. Operating System: OS Independent

13. Joomla Replaces: OpenText,Sitecore CMS, Kentico

Approximately 2.7 percent of all websites use this very popular open source Web content management system. Version 1.7 offers easier installation, one-click version updating, automatic form data validation, batch processing and more. Operating System: OS Independent

14. XOOPS Replaces: OpenText,Sitecore CMS, Kentico

XOOPS (an acronym for "eXtensible Object Oriented Portal System) is a modular, database-driven Web content management system with a large user base and an impressive number of awards to its credit. It also offers excellent personalization capabilities, a skinnable interface, versatile group permissions and support for multiple languages. Operating System: OS Independent

Page 1 of 6

(The links below will take you offsite.)

2 3 4 5 6 Next Page

Looks like you've just copy and pasted the first page of an article, in order to promote the other pages related to it? Am I correct?

I did c&p but not to promote anything. I just post items that I think are interesting. To post all those pages would be way too much especially when I always post a source link.

• 2 weeks later...

You are quite welcome. I do know there are quite a few appz in this list that will not cut it for everyone. But they are options.

I much prefer 7zip to WinZip myself, can't really compare it to the suggested PeaZip as I have never tried it, but I doubt I will try it, never had a problem with 7zip.

PeaZip uses the 7zip libraries, it's pretty much identical but with an extra layer of "Pea" on top.

Not bad, but I just don't see the point.

Any reason to prerfer Open source software over closed source software? I just want something that do what I want and which isn't buggy, I don't really care if the source code is available or not.

The idea for preferring FOSS (excluding politics) is that more people working on it and looking at source encourages the finding and fixing of bugs etc etc.

The issue is it can open security vulnerabilities. Any bug a good coder can find, a script kiddy could find also.

Personally I just find what works best. If it's FOSS, then score 1 for the community. If not, bugger and I'll shell you what I need to get the job done.

Closed source does not mean, not free though.quite often the best alternative is the free but non open source one. Usually though, the alternative, open soure or not, is just that, and alternative and even the best one can't compete with the original.

I much prefer 7zip to WinZip myself, can't really compare it to the suggested PeaZip as I have never tried it, but I doubt I will try it, never had a problem with 7zip.

Agreed, I love 7zip simply because the .7z format has a much higher compression ratio than other formats.

I use several appz that are closed source, but free. I also use a few paid appz. All that matters is if it works for what you want.

ok anyone for forum software replacements?

any free ones compare to IP.Boards or VB???

• 3 weeks later...

Gimp Replaces: Photoshop

Paint.Net Replaces: Photoshop

AbiWord Replaces: Microsoft Word

KOffice Replaces: Microsoft Office

NeoOffice Replaces: Microsoft Office

OpenOffice.org Replaces: Microsoft Office

StarOffice Replaces: Microsoft Office

Avidemux Replaces: Adobe Premiere

I lol'd. The bull**** of OSS fundamentalists is hilarious.

• Like 3

I use Gimp exclusively now. It has more functionality then Photoshop IF you get ALL the plugins/extras for it. But that is just me.

I use LibreOffice. It is the best in my opinion.

I use Gimp exclusively now. It has more functionality then Photoshop IF you get ALL the plugins/extras for it. But that is just me.

I use LibreOffice. It is the best in my opinion.

Not really, but then again, photoshop has far more and far higher quality plugins as well. So that's a pretty stupid argument.

It's not about what you can do with a bunch of plugins that's I portent anyway though. It's the core program that's important. And photoshop is a million times bette than gimp there. Quality, ease of use, speed, and customizability.

If photographers could get away with the gimp and not spend thousands on photoshop, they would. But photoshop is worth the investment and is ultimately cheaper in total than a free alternative.

Simply being open source doesn't magically make something better. And constantly shoving OSS down people's throats will only drive them further away. Saying things like "Gimp is better/has more functionality than Photoshop" is just plain wrong. Maybe it's better for you because it has the subset of features you need, but that doesn't make it universally better for everyone.

Dude thanks for the link, i was thinking of getting something to install in the kids ubuntu lappy for filtering and that DansGuaradian might just be my solution. Sweet list...

Gimp Replaces: Photoshop

Paint.Net Replaces: Photoshop

AbiWord Replaces: Microsoft Word

KOffice Replaces: Microsoft Office

NeoOffice Replaces: Microsoft Office

OpenOffice.org Replaces: Microsoft Office

StarOffice Replaces: Microsoft Office

Avidemux Replaces: Adobe Premiere

I lol'd. The bull**** of OSS fundamentalists is hilarious.

Yugo Replaces: Ferrari 458 Italia

• Like 2

Apple fanboy spotted.

I don't see anything wrong with his comment, if OSS works for you, its doesn't means it works for other people too.

Apple fanboy spotted.

I use OSX and Windows 7 and Office 2010. My phones are iPhone 4S and Lumia 710.

Tried hard to like Ubuntu 10.10 and found the installation to be buggy. None of the OSS alternatives I try come close to closed source software I use. Ex: Tally 9 ERP, a business accounting software which is compliant with Indian Tax and accounting Laws.

However I might try 7zip later.

Love the logic on Neowin forums lately: If someone doesn't share same views as you, he/she automatically becomes a fanboy.