windows xp washington d.c. whitehouse

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:24

Was watching the "preview" of the Obams's state of the union tomorrow, and as a geek I noticed something. Is that a Windows XP login in the background? Not that I have any particular problems personally with XP if it's properly configured, but most of the other places have already upgraded to Vista at the least, and most of our boxes are running 7, and we're nowhere near being as high up the governmental food chain as these guys.

Anyway, just a random observation, thought I'd share, :p

Attached Images

• Screenshot.png

#2 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

• 1,104 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:27

Is it really that much of a shock? Moving from XP to 7 (forget Vista) is a major change, requiring all sorts of infrastructure and configuration changes. (Namely server operating systems and group policy). Windows XP works well, so there's no real reason to change. Having been a part of a project to introduce Windows 7 to an XP network, it isn't easy.

#3 OP Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:29

Is that a picture of a person bleeding to death in the top right corner?

Is it really that much of a shock? Moving from XP to 7 (forget Vista) is a major change, requiring all sorts of infrastructure and configuration changes. (Namely server operating systems and group policy). Windows XP works well, so there's no real reason to change. Having been a part of a project to introduce Windows 7 to an XP network, it isn't easy.

No it's not a "shock", but since we (Army) were getting pushed and pushed and pushed to Vista, and now we're being pushed and pushed and pushed to 7, it's interesting to see these guys are still hanging out on XP, :p

#4 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

• 1,104 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:31

Is that a picture of a person bleeding to death in the top right corner?

It does look like it, but looking closer, it looks like there are wings, and that red 'pool' could be a shadow.

#5 FMH

FMH

Neowinian Senior

• 7,148 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:32

This is really not surprising. Even if you see those Discovery documentaries about companies like CERN, Lockheed Martin, Darpa and etc., they also use XP, for some of the most advanced researches/analysis running in the world! :laugh:

#6 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:34

The larger you go, the more likely they are to be on XP. Consumers will always be on Windows 7 first before large organisations because Consumers only need to upgrade a handful of computers, Large Organisations need to upgrade thousands, without a hitch. 1000s is more than 1 so it takes 1000s of times longer to get everything in place. Most organisations and consumers did not upgrade to Vista at all, skipped it entirely, even though most were already licensed to use it. The huge cost to upgrade (in terms of labour) for so little benefit is not worth it to go to Vista.

If security updates and new hardware support was not about to be stopped for XP, many organisations would not be planning Windows 7 upgrades either. To an organisation, Windows 7 themes and so on has 0 business benefit when their staff would be just as effective if they were using XP. Not to mention staff training costs. Not everyone can pick up new systems by themself and need someone to guide them. In a large organisation, this is quite a lot of man hours.

#7 Blaze_Zewi

Blaze_Zewi

Neowinian

• 458 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:35

If it an't broke don't fix it. :laugh:

#8 Neo003

Neo003

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

• 8,492 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:48

I thought they'll are apple f*'s

#9 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,314 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:49

Argos UK's embedded machines use Windows 98, so it could be worse :p

#10 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

• 4,885 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:53

Ah, vendor lock - isn't it a wonderful thing?

#11 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,963 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:22

I remember a few years back the posts and uproar that US submarines were still running Windows NT4 :p

#12 arachnoid

arachnoid

Copyright Withheld

• 3,841 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:33

If I remember rightly Nasa still uses a form of DOS for some of its hardware

#13 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:49

Secrets are more easily wikileaked if the victim is running an older OS. And we wouldn't want it to be any other way, would we? :p

More importantly, though, why oh why Neobond has changed profile pic to some random Neowin logo? :D

#14 fsX

fsX

Neowinian

• 268 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:55

Considering how "innovative" it was for the secret services to allow Obama to use a Blackberry, it's clear they don't care much about having recent stuff.

#15 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:57

I remember a few years back the posts and uproar that US submarines were still running Windows NT4 :p

Spoiler