FOUR train deaths in just one day

Subway commuters in New York City were greeted by the gruesome sight of a severed head when they stepped off a train car on Saturday.

But perhaps more disturbing is the death was one of four on the city's subway system in less than 24 hours.

Police say the mishaps are unrelated.

The first victim, another unidentified male reportedly in his 60s, was found unconscious bleeding from the mouth at about 2am in Queens' Elmhurst Avenue station at Broadway, on the R line.

Police say he may have fallen down the stairs and hit his head at the elevated station.

He was taken to Elmhurst Hospital Center, where he died about an hour later.

At about 8:30am, 22-year-old Brian O'Mara, of Long Island, was struck and killed while wandering around inside a tunnel between stations and was struck by an L train near West 14th Street and Third Avenue.

Police said it was not clear what Mr O'Mara, Research Associate at web firm, Corporate Insight and recent college graduate, was doing on the tracks.

Six blocks west, the severed head of an unidentified male was seen wedged between the car and platform at the L train station on 14th Street and Sixth Avenue at about 10pm that evening.

Police could not say how the man, whose name has not yet been released, was killed.

Another fatality was reported in Brooklyn, when an unidentified male's body was removed from the tunnel near the Nostrand station on Saturday at about 4:30pm after he was struck by an A train.

It was not clear what he was doing on the tracks, according to police.

source

I was reading about the decapitation just yesterday and they were talking about how many folks had died over the weekend. Makes me want to not use New York public transit on my next visit.

Police could not say how the man, whose name has not yet been released, was killed.

i would hazard a guess that it's because his head was detached from his body, as that's generally fatal.