F1 World Championship 2012 Thread

...well I'll be damned. Sky's actually starting to make things interesting. :o Looks like I'll be following four race series then this year (F1, GP2, GP3, and the BTCC).

...well I'll be damned. Sky's actually starting to make things interesting. :o Looks like I'll be following four race series then this year (F1, GP2, GP3, and the BTCC).

:D

The last vacant cockpit on the grid has been filled:

Narain Karthikeyan will drive the second HRT during the 2012 F1 season

Narain Karthikeyan will fill the final racing seat of the 2012 season after he was confirmed at HRT on Friday morning.

The Indian will partner Spaniard Pedro de la Rosa at the team, which will enter its third Formula 1 season this year.

Karthikeyan started the 2011 season as a racing driver for the team, but was dropped after the European Grand Prix, the eighth round of the championship, in favour of Australian rookie Daniel Ricciardo.

The 35-year-old from Chennai returned to racing for his home grand prix late in the season after four outings as a Friday driver.

Together with 40-year-old de la Rosa he will form the oldest line-up on the grid this year.

"It has taken a lot of hard work to make this happen but I am absolutely elated to feature on the 2012 grid with HRT F1 team," said the Indian. "I was pleased with our strong performance at the Indian Grand Prix, in front of my passionate home fans and I look forward to building on this result in 2012.

"I have been training hard since the end of 2011, ensuring I was ready for the rigours of F1 if an opportunity arose. I am delighted to have signed with HRT F1 Team. With the new management, Pedro, and the team, there is definite potential for progress.

"We need to understand that F1 is new to India, we hosted our first race only last year which was a resounding success. To build on that momentum, an Indian driver will certainly keep the interest engaged throughout the season. I am proud to secure an opportunity to forge a stronger connection between India and Formula 1 once again."

Team boss Luiz Perez-Sala added: "I am pleased to count with Narain for this season, as he will contribute continuity and stability. He is a quick, intuitive and secure driver who met his expectations despite a lack of continuity last year. Of the eight Grands Prix he contested in 2011, he only failed to finish on one occasion and had a great performance in the last race he took part in.

"I'm sure that the fact that he will continue to work and drive on a regular basis will help him take a step forward this season. And if he advances, so does the team. This is a year in which you could say that the team starts from scratch and everyone's input will be fundamental."

Source: Autosport

Oh dear, Karthikeyan got the HRT seat?

Surely there are more experienced drivers than this clown.

I guess money talks. Its not about your skill its about how much money you can bring to the team.

the car is ugly and i dont see any innovation. i cant think but the front will cause loads of trouble for them. also i think one man is now smiling after having seen mp4/27 and f2012 and thats adrian newey. pretty sure it will be easy for him to top these 2 once more.

I doubt it, Mclaren dropped the ball in 2011 with the MP4-26 and they still won races against Red Bull, if the RB7 is just an evolution rather than revolution I think they will be in big trouble.

With all the KERS issues, blistering tyres and the like I wouldnt be surprised if this years Red Bull is a little bit more conservative than balls to the wall aggressive.

Ferrari weren't the only team to launch their car today. I present you: The Sahara Force India VJM05

img_4023.jpg

car2012.png

This is the ugliest Ferrari since the F310 with the high nose added (from the Canadian GP 1996 onwards):

042508-1519-carprofilef5.jpg

That's a hideous nose on the new Ferrari!

I'm hoping to see Button win this year, however I can see it being the triple for Vettel.

Can someone please give a quick summary of the new coverage from Sky and the BBC? As I don't have Sky, what races will I be able to watch?

That's a hideous nose on the new Ferrari!

I'm hoping to see Button win this year, however I can see it being the triple for Vettel.

Can someone please give a quick summary of the new coverage from Sky and the BBC? As I don't have Sky, what races will I be able to watch?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/15893254

Both Force India and Ferrari using that nose design. Mclaren's still looks similar to last year. Wonder which design will work out the best? because they're both drastically different.

I love seeing how complex the front wings are this year compared to previous years. They have more additions than the whole of the bodywork from the 2008-spec cars.

Both Force India and Ferrari using that nose design. Mclaren's still looks similar to last year. Wonder which design will work out the best? because they're both drastically different.

From what I understand, teams prefer to have a higher chassis as it works better aerodynamically. I trust McLaren knows what it is doing though.

Dear god that is ugly. I'm going to say that the front step in the nose does something for the down force on the front wheels and they think that may be an advantage.

Only reason I can think of for doing something that ugly.

so far? for me its:

mclaren > force india > caterham > ferrari

by the looks....

Going just by the looks it's McLaren -> Caterham -> Ferrari -> Force India for me.

Sorry, but the Force India livery looks like someone vomited all over the car. :x