Disable Hard Drive Spin down?

So wait you're saying that having the drive spin is going to dramatically shorten its life? Yet how do you think server and storage arrays work?

Probably about like the one next to me that I just replaced about 10 failed drives in.

Probably about like the one next to me that I just replaced about 10 failed drives in.

Where they consumer drivers for server class drivers?

Where they consumer drivers for server class drivers?

Server drives

But not to sound like I'm exaggerating, there are around 100 drives in there, so 10%.... eh, not amazing, but not bad. Some of the drives are getting a bit older. I'm about to leave right now or else I'd look up the SMART data on them to see what it looks like. Maybe I'll do that Monday if I remember.

I'm about to leave right now or else I'd look up the SMART data on them to see what it looks like. Maybe I'll do that Monday if I remember.

Did you? I'm curious to know what you found.

Did you? I'm curious to know what you found.

Ah, I had forgotten. They are all in storage arrays so I'll have to see if I can find a way to pull SMART data on individual drives. Let me pull it up.

Edit: Doesn't look like there's a way to do it. If I do find a way I'll post, but I don't feel like taking a drive out to test it.