VLC Media Player 2.0 RC 1 available now

By the way, the Mac UI defaults to black window frames. What I'm using is the 'bright' option for the UI.

was there also going to be an Android version of this as well?

According to the change log yes. Should be out by the time 2.0 goes final at the latest.

By the way, the Mac UI defaults to black window frames. What I'm using is the 'bright' option for the UI.

They should really make the "Bright" option the default look on Macs; I thought "Dark" was rather ugly. Shame you can't have the main window as just the playback controls.

Nice, DVB-S scanning support, HTTP live streaming, ffmpeg-mt for multi-core decoding and basic blu-ray support \o/

Not to mention HTCPCP (HTTP Coffee Pot Control Protocol)! :rofl:

On Windows VLC is only good for things Media Player Classic Home Cinema can't play. For some reason the video quality in MPCHC is still horrible on most videos, especially when compared to MPC-HC with Haali (or MadVR).

Yipee! The playback issues I was having with recent nightlies seem to be fixed. A lot of my larger Blu-ray rips (MKVs) were skipping and losing audio sync.

No problems with RC1.

This version is a big improvement. Good stuff.

On Windows VLC is only good for things Media Player Classic Home Cinema can't play. For some reason the video quality in MPCHC is still horrible on most videos, especially when compared to MPC-HC with Haali (or MadVR).

I don't notice any quality difference here. I mostly watch either 720p h.264 videos or standard def xvid. Looks great in both vlc and wmp/mpc

* Port to Android, iOS, OS/2 and Win64

Hmm iOS port...This would be great. Is this for Cydia or App Store ?

Btw I haven't tried this new 2.0, however current stable versions video quality is much worse than MPC HC.

The windows version :p

32-bit binaries work exactly the same on 64-bit CPUs as they do on 32-bit.CPUs.

Cheers :)

Come now... while I agree that most, if not all people won't notice a difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions on a 64 bit CPU, your statement is somewhat false. The 32 bit version works substantially differently given the it runs through the WoW64 emulator.

Anyhow, we're planning a rollout of VLC at work. Any idea when we can expect 2.0 final? Or should I just go ahead and rollout the current 1.x version for now?

TBQH, I don't see anything impressive about that Mac UI. It's different, but no better than what it is now. It would be better if they offered a chromeless UI like QuickTime or MPlayerX, or KMPlayer which I used to use on Windows.