Aliens: Colonial Marines Cinematic Trailer

After reading a ton of comments about the game on other sites, I think maybe I will hold off on this one.

I would say wait till it`s on sale, but by then the new XBOX will be out, so no point.

I guess I`ll just work on what games I have till the next XBOX is released, no point in buying new ones for the 360.

After installing the little 500kb mod that enabled DX10, better shadows and textures, better load times (wtf?) and a few other things, I'd have to say the game certainly looks better now. I still say the lighting and shadows are quite good in the game, but that's just me I guess. I haven't had any problems with the SP story so far, though some of it is a bit hamfisted not to mention nonsensical in places. I just want to know what Randy Pitchford (and whoever else worked on this game) is going to say about this game. Why is the E3 demo totally different looking than the final product (and way worse looking now mind you). In those diary videos they said QUITE SPECIFICALLY the story line was so awesome and had great emotional depth etc, where did that story go? Is that going to be in the Director's Cut edition?

After installing the little 500kb mod that enabled DX10, better shadows and textures, better load times (wtf?) and a few other things, I'd have to say the game certainly looks better now. I still say the lighting and shadows are quite good in the game, but that's just me I guess. I haven't had any problems with the SP story so far, though some of it is a bit hamfisted not to mention nonsensical in places. I just want to know what Randy Pitchford (and whoever else worked on this game) is going to say about this game. Why is the E3 demo totally different looking than the final product (and way worse looking now mind you). In those diary videos they said QUITE SPECIFICALLY the story line was so awesome and had great emotional depth etc, where did that story go? Is that going to be in the Director's Cut edition?

The game is a certainly a step backwards from the demo. Have you seen this?

wow, how did that happen

They were too stretched on time and projects, so they managed most of the game out to TimeGate. TimeGate then just scrapped everything Gearbox did. When Gearbox saw what happened, they tried to fix it, sort of like with DNF, but then Sega and Fox were basically pushing them to publish it despite it not being done. Sure, it was prolonged 6 years, but to still rush it out isn't the answer.

But, imho, I still am enjoying the game. Single player might be lacking, but Multiplayer is where this game shines. Whether Co-Op or Versus, this game is a blast with others.

They were too stretched on time and projects, so they managed most of the game out to TimeGate. TimeGate then just scrapped everything Gearbox did. When Gearbox saw what happened, they tried to fix it, sort of like with DNF, but then Sega and Fox were basically pushing them to publish it despite it not being done. Sure, it was prolonged 6 years, but to still rush it out isn't the answer.

But, imho, I still am enjoying the game. Single player might be lacking, but Multiplayer is where this game shines. Whether Co-Op or Versus, this game is a blast with others.

Not sure why TimeGate scrapped everything Gearbox did? I mean, it's like the two companies had two different art directors for this game. I mean it's just immensely different. From the Lighting, the AI and everything. Gearbox really have no excuse to release the Game after 6-7 years of Development in this quality. Sure, their 'baby' might be Borderlands, but then I guess they just don't care about this Franchise.

I am enjoying Co-Op on "Ultimate Badass" difficulty, the enemies actually pose a threat and you have nervous moments when you're getting swarmed. :)

It looks like they stripped out all the PC goodies and used the console version as the standard. I'm sure the publisher would like it if more people bought the console versions of the game. I bet some of those features could have made the console version look good too.

It's a damn shame it turned out this way. The fact that a DX10 mod makes the game look better and load faster shows how much they care about the PC version. It's like they enjoy shooting themselves in the foot. And 6 to 7 years of development time? What a damn joke. A small indie developer team could make a better game in that time.

It looks like they stripped out all the PC goodies and used the console version as the standard. I'm sure the publisher would like it if more people bought the console versions of the game. I bet some of those features could have made the console version look good too.

It's a damn shame it turned out this way. The fact that a DX10 mod makes the game look better and load faster shows how much they care about the PC version. It's like they enjoy shooting themselves in the foot. And 6 to 7 years of development time? What a damn joke. A small indie developer team could make a better game in that time.

Well yeah, they had a 'gameplay demo' of it running when Aliens Vs Predator came out.. and everyone was so excited for this game. Everything was so well done with the "work in progress". No one really knew that it 'd be a step backwards. However, I'm enjoying MP so far. I enjoyed SP as well.

http://forums.timega...85&postcount=43

I wouldn't worry too much about repurcussions concerning anyone, including Timegate.

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to nab the PS3 version practically a working week before it was officially released by SEGA.

In all honesty I am tracking the Wii U version (being done by Demiurge) as I have no plans to further waste money on old systems.

I always have a PC and Ninty; then I get one or both of the others based on content, financial circumstance, whatever.

Needless to say, what I saw in the 1 day I explored A:CM left me pretty perplexed.

The only thing that inspired any anger in me over A:CM was to do, specifically, with the narrative additions to the canon (which is something only Fox can answer for).

Everything else about the game was just confusing.

I'd left GBX forums because I was full to bursting, over questions about this title, that hadn't been released yet and didn't want to spoil things for anyone there.

Come the 12th all hell broke loose; so I began going through all my links, saved posts on different forums, emails, dev/mod/journo, chat/tweets/irc/icq - you name it. In order to try and see what I missed. It was that weird.

So far I think everyones in on this thing (fiasco) and not just by association but circumstance as well as a hell of alot of mis-communication.

From what I can gather this project has gone through that many restarts since it was announced its not funny - we all know this right?

However, what alot of people don't identify (again because of general concensus) is that the Wii U version (still very much on the way), done exclusively by Demiurge studio's, is the big version; the joint venture was banking on.

I know what you're thinkin right? "WTF!?, how stupid, no ones adopting the Wii U, what were they thinking?" and you'd be right if it wasn't for the fact that SEGA's industry analysis favoured the U version, in fact the entire joint venture did.

This is because that version ports to the new consoles by Sony & MS (in the future) and thus has the tightest longevity of the product. Instead of a few months in the dying period of current gen systems, they favour a product that will last (potentally) 2-3yrs and allow for sequals.

Moving on, alot if not all the pre-production of the title was handled by Demiurge studio's before they went onto work exclusively on the Wii U version from the ground up.

Post-production was then handed to Timegate studio's and Nerve software; whilst Gearbox software completed Borderlands 2. Once assets there were completed Gearbox software retook up post-production to release candidacy of the campaign (sp or story, if you like) finalising with Fox and SEGA over the final shape of the product; and Timegate studio's finalised thier assets for the multi-player/co-op campaign with Nerve software (if I'm not mistaken). Which I think is where everyones getting confused. Timegate studio's finished thier work a coupla months back if I'm not mistaken?

Now heres where I have a hunch something behind the scenes went ass-up. Purely speculation of course - and the media is in on it in this scenario (boy I just won alot of cred. there..).

Somewhere around the time Timegate studio's finished the PS3/360 version was canned. The last trailer released by Gearbox Software was the 'Kick-Ass Trailer' - this is actually Demiurge studio's Wii U trailer. I believe that was shortly before the big 2hr IGN reveal, shortly before launch - which again, was the PC version - and why I believe SEGA canned the PS3/360 versions at this time; and the media knew about it.

During this time SEGA must've had a change of heart, possibly due to Wii U adoption looking less progressive (which the joint venture was banking on); and asked Gearbox Software to resurrect those versions at the 11th hour.

Now I know people aren't ready to write off thier current consoles just yet, but from a buisiness perspective - not sinking money into the dying moments of the end of a system generation is a sane call.

So you might ask, "Why then was the PC version not en par with the IGN reveal either?" because its been dumbed down to maintain parity with the console releases. Its actually still quite alot better, the console releases were pretty ordinary.

In the next couple of weeks the Wii U version, the one with the greatest longevity, will be released; I suspect in all my speculation, you will see a magic patch that will bring the PC version up to date, if not surpassing the IGN reveal everyone was watching.

Personally I think SEGA & Gearbox Software are obliged to do something about the PS3 & 360 versions as well. Whether the two of them mis-communicated thier intentions or just plain botched it is irrelevant. They should not have released those versions if they had already hit a brick wall with them.

The media should've informed the public over this. Thats thier job. What most people don't know, is that there is a back channel that everyone from forum mods to dev teams share. Most of the time its full of superfluous crap and cryptic messages that no one gets unless they are involved with the subject, but the media also tune into this. Even IGN was fully aware of this during the reveal but said nothing (I thought Hatfield was a little stiff).

So why post this here? because I want people to understand that nothing past Q3 last year has Timegate studio's needing to account for. Whilst thier assets were used in probably every partof the A:CM thier work on the title ceased long before Gearbox software took over again; and Fox, Gearbox and (ubiquitiously) SEGA finalised the product for polishing - Which, obvioulsy never occurred on the PS3 & 360 versions.

Anyway, sorry for this crazy long post. My best to Timegate studio's! got Section 8 & Predjudice week one on PSN and one of your biggest fans is a 9 yo called Rohan Charles in Adelaide, Australia - an excellent upcomming young gamer! Take care & have fun, everyone.

Heres hoping they fix this for everyone out there pronto.

Hmm if Gearbox or whoever can just patch up the game to what it is supposed to be, I'd be happy.

Hmm. It will take 'another' 6 years to do just that. Meanwhile...... :rolleyes:

I don't think that's at all credible. Even if the Wii U version was considered important - which is plausible given how much Randy Pitchford talked it up - there's no way that would have resulted in the PS3 and X360 versions being scrapped, as basic economics tells you that's a ridiculous idea. It's very much harder to recoup your investment on a new console with limited marketshare than it is to release a title on multiple platforms with an established user base. Furthermore, in terms of hardware the Wii U is a current gen console, so the idea it would be easier to port that version to next-gen consoles is simply nonsense - focusing on the PC version would have made more sense. Finally, if the Wii U version really is so much better than the other versions then it would have made sense to delay the release on other platforms to avoid the bad reviews.

There are a lot of things mentioned in that post that sound incredibly suspicious.

going with LOC and Razonwing on this...it's a game that was basically vaporware and Gearbox came along and did their DNF thing to it. it's the same story all over again with the negative reviews and anger. this game isn't that bad, at least on PC. just like DNF wasn't that bad, if you knew what you were getting into and are a forgiving person. There are enough nice touches in ACM to please any Alien fan, so it's ok.

The game crashes on me after showing all the logos in the beginning. I can't run it.

I've tried to run it as admin, tried to re-install it, tried to update MS .net - nothing is working.

The game crashes on me after showing all the logos in the beginning. I can't run it.

I've tried to run it as admin, tried to re-install it, tried to update MS .net - nothing is working.

GFX card drivers? Checked event viewer to see what is crashing?

GFX card drivers?

I have the latest Catalyst.

Checked event viewer to see what is crashing?
Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: ACM.exe, version: 1.0.55.53346

reaction.jpg

I agree with him, I thought DNF was fun for what it was. After so many years of waiting, I certainly didn't go into that game thinking it was going to be the 2nd coming of FPS games or something. I expected a Duke game, and I mostly got that. Same with ACM, it's an Alien game, even if it isn't perfect. The graphics stuff, and changes between the E3 demo and final game are just mind boggling though.

• 4 weeks later...