Trojan found in 13 games on the official Android Market

Android.Counterclank Found in Official Android Market

Symantec has identified multiple publisher IDs on the Android Market that are being used to push out Android.Counterclank. This is a minor modification of Android.Tonclank, a bot-like threat that can receive commands to carry out certain actions, as well as steal information from the device.

_original

For each of these malicious applications, the malicious code has been grafted on to the main application in a package called ?apperhand?. When the package is executed, a service with the same name may be seen running on a compromised device. Another sign of an infection is the presence of the Search icon above on the home screen.

The combined download figures of all the malicious apps indicate that Android.Counterclank has the highest distribution of any malware identified so far this year.

post-1302-0-62412000-1327751224.png

Symantec is continuing with further investigation and we will post more information as we discover it.

Source: Symantec

Forget fragmentation, Google need to fix this. Android apps need to be sandboxed and don't get access to any User Data or to Modify system settings unless the user explicitly permits, rather than prompting the user for 10 different permissions they don't understand when they install it and giving the app free reign. The Android Market is very immature in this regard in comparison to iOS App Store.

Pretty cool. Mobile botnet :rofl: Could use it to spam text messages.

I'm surprised the phone isn't sending back the user's phone number, is there money in selling those?

Moar Android malware? Color me not surprised. Android's a mess of epic proportions.

This is why you shouldn't download apps such as "Stripper Touch girl" and "Pretty women lingerie puzzle"

You're talking about the same users who did the same thing on their Windows systems. "Click here to download FREE screensavers!"

Apple's policies are sometimes a pain in the ass, but when I see things like that ruining the Android Market, I'm glad to have an iPhone. My 4S is jailbroken, so I *CAN* download a virus if I'm not careful, but at least I KNOW the risk, I know there's crap on the Cydia Store cuz I know it's an alternative store, not the "real thing"... It sucks for Android users, who assume that if it's offered on the official Android Market it's safe, to get an infected phone. I know I can trust what is offered in the App Store.

I like Android, but Google must do something about that! The Market is a jungle

Apple's policies are sometimes a pain in the ass, but when I see things like that ruining the Android Market, I'm glad to have an iPhone. My 4S is jailbroken, so I *CAN* download a virus if I'm not precaucious, but at least I KNOW the risk, I know there's crap on the Cydia Store.... It sucks for Android users, who assume that if it's offered on the Android Market it's safe, to get an infected phone. I know I can trust what is offered in the App Store.

Symantec has been proven wrong...these are not trojans or anything like that.

And no amount of security will protect you if you are stupid user. Doesnt matter if you are WP7, Android, or Apple.

• Like 1

Symantec has been proven wrong...these are not trojans or anything like that.

And no amount of security will protect you if you are stupid user. Doesnt matter if you are WP7, Android, or Apple.

This. When you install an app on an Android device, it will tell you the permissions it needs and then it's up to you to determine if it's asking for too much. Just like with a desktop or laptop computer, users need to get educated to protect themselves against those that would exploit their ignorance.

This. When you install an app on an Android device, it will tell you the permissions it needs and then it's up to you to determine if it's asking for too much. Just like with a desktop or laptop computer, users need to get educated to protect themselves against those that would exploit their ignorance.

Not every user is tech savvy or enjoys spending his day reading and checking what it does, how it does it and how it can affect him. iPhone users at least don't have to worry about that and I think it goes the same way with WP. We need to try and see here we're not the only ones using technology and not everyone enjoys learning as much as others do about it.

Negative.... When I use a designated store from my operating system provider I expect a certain level of integrity from that provider. This is not some third party whom I am downloading from. If I were to download the application from an outside source, outside of their ecosystem your point would be valid.

I do however agree that education is vital and may have saved people from these applications, however I will stand by my previous statement and that these types applications damage the integrity of their store and should not be allowed.

Not every user is tech savvy or enjoys spending his day reading and checking what it does, how it does it and how it can affect him. iPhone users at least don't have to worry about that and I think it goes the same way with WP. We need to try and see here we're not the only ones using technology and not everyone enjoys learning as much as others do about it.

What I mean about security is this..

You can password protect anything...put a pin number on it...pattern unlock...whatever. People are so dumb that they will give this info to their friends or family members. Or, they will write their passwords someplace next to what they are "protecting" So again, no amount of security will protect the stupid...and there are many of those out there...and I know this article is about software, not password protection.

And education is the key. If you buy something and dont spend the time to learn how to use it correctly, then I will not feel sorry for you if something goes wrong.

Come on!! You forgot the Sexy Girl Puzzle!! Whats wrong with you???

Somehow I dont think that the situation is as bad as some would make it out to be... And lookOut helps :)

Its not. They are not trojans just software for ads. Symantec spoke to soon.

No according to that it's most definitiely a trojan, only a fanboy would claim an app that does all that is not when it sneaks in as part of another app that you haven't requested.

Trojans cause damage or something malicious to the system it is on...like deleting files, destroying info, or allowing remote accesss. This software, as pointed out by Lookout, does not do this and is just for use for advertising.

Its not. They are not trojans just software for ads. Symantec spoke to soon.

Trojans cause damage or something malicious to the system it is on...like deleting files, destroying info, or allowing remote accesss. This software, as pointed out by Lookout, does not do this and is just for use for advertising.

No.

A Trojan, sneaks in by pretending to be something it is not. it does not necessarily cause damage, but in this case it spies and steals data which qualifies enough.

A virus spreads by itself by attaching to other programs and hides, it also does not necessarily cause damage.

A worm is kind of like a virus but it doesn't need to infect another program to spread. it spreads fully by itself. it also does not necessairly need to cause any damage.

Causing damage was never a pre-requisite for any of these definitions though in the past it was the primary reason for them. Today int he itnernet age however, there are many more "uses" for these, though they are all bad. but the definition of Trojan, Virus and Worm is just a delivery method for malware or badware. The payload can be anything, like in this case malicious spyware and adware.

I do not disagree with you. When I am asked by family and friends which computer or other device they should choose I always take their lifestyle into consideration. Right now and in it's current state, Android is probably not the best option for people who are not tech enthusiasts. The same could be said of Linux, but probably to a greater degree. For most people I know who just need something that works and is well supported, I tend to recommend Apple and Microsoft products. For myself, I like Android BECAUSE of the open platform approach and I'd really hate to see it restricted instead of becoming more open.

Negative.... When I use a designated store from my operating system provider I expect a certain level of integrity from that provider. This is not some third party whom I am downloading from. If I were to download the application from an outside source, outside of their ecosystem your point would be valid.

I do however agree that education is vital and may have saved people from these applications, however I will stand by my previous statement and that these types applications damage the integrity of their store and should not be allowed.

I will concede to agree with you on the point of the Marketplace. Google should probably take steps to make the default Marketplace more secure, but I wouldn't want them to move in a direction that would make it so restrictive as to discourage legitimate app developers on the platform.

A Trojan horse, or Trojan, is software that is intended to perform, simultaneously, a desirable (expected) effect and a covert (unexpected) effect...

But, yes they are associated with malicious acts as that is typically the only reason to inflict such an action on a user(s) system.

A Trojan horse, or Trojan, is software that is intended to perform, simultaneously, a desirable (expected) effect and a covert (unexpected) effect...

But, yes they are associated with malicious acts as that is typically the only reason to inflict such an action on a user(s) system.

The apps are legit and the "trojan" is just an advertising component. Granted, more aggressive than other ads but a lot of apps on all markets have advertising components. So its no big deal.

The apps are legit and the "trojan" is just an advertising component. Granted, more aggressive than other ads but a lot of apps on all markets have advertising components. So its no big deal.

it's undesires spyware and malware that infects your phone without your wishes.

it's a Trojan.

So it's adware that people don't actually want, that also takes serials numbers from phones (why would it even need your MAC address at any rate)? Dishonest adware? That technically can be classified as malware - though it's not destructive. Might not be sinister either, though I doubt anyone here can prove either way right now.

Stop trying to defend the undefensible. Lets get two things straight.

1. As Android developer and Supplier of the Android Marketplace, Google should not be allowing damaging Apps to be put up there, they need to do something, either change Android that it runs apps better in a sandbox or something or police the market place a lot better even if it closes it up. Remember, Google charges the Carriers/manufacturers for access to the market and take a cut of the apps paid for, with this should come the responsibility to police it, its only time before they are hit with a massive law suit.

2. We should not have to put virus checkers on our Phones, if that is the future then their is something seriously gone wrong.

If this was that big of deal, Google would have removed the apps like they have did so before. But right now, Google is refusing to do so and the Apps are still on the market. So far, nothing has been proven that this causes any damage or is being used for malicious intent. So IMO, no big issue at the moment.

We have Symantec (says its malware/trojan) saying one thing, and Lookout (says its not malware or a trojan) saying another. So unless Symantec says its not an issue, or Lookout says it is...It is just a matter of opinion if it is something to be concerned about.

Stop trying to defend the undefensible. Lets get two things straight.

1. As Android developer and Supplier of the Android Marketplace, Google should not be allowing damaging Apps to be put up there,

This is no proof, so far, that this is damaging.

And dont tell me what I can and cannot do. I will post my opinion on this as much as I want.

Going by the definition of trojan some people have here DRM softwares are trojan and all stores should stop selling games using them (almost all games) right now because of it.

Sorry but virus and trojan do bad things to your computer. If not then they are not a virus or a trojan. They are either spyware or bloatware.

90% (number is from my ***) of sotware these days install unwanted apps doing useless things for the user.

If this was that big of deal, Google would have removed the apps like they have did so before. But right now, Google is refusing to do so and the Apps are still on the market. So far, nothing has been proven that this causes any damage or is being used for malicious intent. So IMO, no big issue at the moment.

We have Symantec (says its malware/trojan) saying one thing, and Lookout (says its not malware or a trojan) saying another. So unless Symantec says its not an issue, or Lookout says it is...It is just a matter of opinion if it is something to be concerned about.

This is no proof, so far, that this is damaging.

And dont tell me what I can and cannot do. I will post my opinion on this as much as I want.

Stop being agro over a common saying.

If you don't think that this needs improving before it starts damaging android, then I'm speechless. Freedom is all very well but their needs to be checks in place so that people can be secure in their devices. You argue about Android being hackable and update Roms, etc, but a lot of people buy it just as a phone or simple content browser, they don't want the hassle of having to managing like a Windows 98 computer they just want it to work.