Android Phone Recommendations

So I'm thinking of getting my first real smart phone when I get my income tax return. I've decided I want to get an Android for several reasons I won't go into detail about, but I need some help.

I know absolutely nothing about what phones are out there that run Android and are reliable devices. I've heard some manufacturers put un-removable apps on their devices and make all sorts of weird customizations. I've always just had a classic flip-phone, so this will be my first ever smart phone. I would make this a poll, but I'm not even completely certain what's available, so I think my poll would get constant additions. I would like to spend less than $400, but if there's a REALLY good reason to get a phone that costs more than that, I'm not too good to do so. I don't have a contract with any cell phone companies, I do pre-paid only, so I would be buying the phone outright. Currently I am a Verizon customer.

I woudlnt recommend an android phone. After what they did to me, you have to keep in mind that they will screw you, sooner or later (in my case, more soon than later). But if you want to waste your money, have a look on this

http://www.gsmarena....i_i777-4130.php

Probably you will suffer this so called OS fragmentation, because you probably wont run some games (some fanboy might say that its the OEM manufacturer the one who you have to blame, in the real world that is not an option when an OS is running on a computer).

Or you could (if you insist to buy an android phone) buy a sony-ericsson, because with one of their phone (the xperia line) you probably would play with most of the games, because of xperia play (most of them have the same hardware, single core, but the same GPU).

Keep in mind that they will screw you (told you this for the second time)

• Like 2

I woudlnt recommend an android phone. After what they did to me, you have to keep in mind that they will screw you, sooner or later (in my case, more soon than later). But if you want to waste your money, have a look on this

Probably you will suffer this so called OS fragmentation, because you probably wont run some games (some fanboy might say that its the OEM manufacturer the one who you have to blame, in the real world that is not an option when an OS is running on a computer).

Or you could (if you insist to buy an android phone) buy a sony-ericsson, because with one of their phone (the xperia line) you probably would play with most of the games, because of xperia play (most of them have the same hardware, single core, but the same GPU).

Uh what?

The recomendation of the Samsung Galaxy SII is a good one - i know people with it, and its a great phone.

Also, to quote the old addage - Size matters! - go into a store, pick up the phone, and play with it, see how it feels. Some people like it large, some like it small.

When picking a smartphone, the reason for getting an android is different to getting iOS/WP7. Have very good reasons for getting android over something else. Every phone OS has its drawbacks, don't let anyone tell you any OS is perfect in all cases.

Goodluck with getting a great phone! =)

What?

You mean I don't have to upgrade my video card to run new games? Or I don't have to upgrade to Win7 to run IE9? Or they will keep supporting Firefox on Windows 2000 forever?

You are correct to a small extent, but there will be limitation for software/hardware regardless of the platform it's on. For most people fragmentation isn't even a real thing. It runs they apps they need. Power users should do their due diligence before purchasing a phone, then they wouldn't have those issues.

I've used friends' iPhones and can't really stand them. Love my Droid 2, though. I would like to check on Windows Phone, but I like the Google integration also, since I use Google Apps and Gmail so much.

If you're on Verizon, at least go hold the Galaxy Nexus. It's simply the best Android phone you can own right now. Of course my Galaxy S II isn't too bad either but that Nexus is out-of-box with Android 4.0 :)

The recomendation of the Samsung Galaxy SII is a good one - i know people with it, and its a great phone.

Also, to quote the old addage - Size matters! - go into a store, pick up the phone, and play with it, see how it feels. Some people like it large, some like it small.

When picking a smartphone, the reason for getting an android is different to getting iOS/WP7. Have very good reasons for getting android over something else. Every phone OS has its drawbacks, don't let anyone tell you any OS is perfect in all cases.

Goodluck with getting a great phone! =)

Another professor today put down his shiny new iPhone long enough to mess with my Galaxy S II. He kept commenting about how cool the display was then side-by-sided it with the iPhone. I almost felt sorry for the poor little iPhone right then...almost. :D

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and it is nice - anyone who has used it that has another phone just shakes their head and says "wow, that is one awesome phone". Same comments for the display, camera and 1080p video. I don't want to sound like a commercial, that's just how it is. I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market now.

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and it is nice - anyone who has used it that has another phone just shakes their head and says "wow, that is one awesome phone". Same comments for the display, camera and 1080p video. I don't want to sound like a commercial, that's just how it is. I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market now.

+1

You mean I don't have to upgrade my video card to run new games?

How many HARDWARE upgrades have you seen on the 360 or ps3?. :p

If you release some 'hardware' keep the software updated with the same hardware.

What?

exactly

Uh what?

exactly you too.

• Like 1