Skype - OS X - Rant

Hey Guys,

So as mentioned last week I've just started a new job where they've given me two brand new Mac Minis, wonderful! Late friday evening I decided to install Skype, which I've not done since the new 5.x Series Client came out, then left for the weekend. I've just come back into the office and found my shiny new Mac Mini has been hammered all weekend by Skype.

What could Skype be doing? How do they get away with it? When are they going to open up the API so I can use it with Adium instead of the native client? And if not, when are they going to sort out the UI so it looks as professional as the old one?!

Post up your Skype rants in this thread, I for one will be leaving Skype once and for all now, it's been a fun trip, but the company has gone down-hill since 2009.

post-180771-0-41858900-1327916932_thumb.

I have Skype running on OS X about 12-14 hours a day and it has never done that - on neither laptops or workstation.

What version are you running currently, the stable or beta?

I can rant about Skype until the sun goes down (and continue until it comes back up again), but I've never had this particular issue happen before. Very odd.

Then again, I refused to upgrade and have been using version 2.8 ever since I made the mistake of installing the latest version.

Anyone experiencing any issues running 2.8 on Lion? Because it simply won't launch for me.

Try trashing your preferences and support files located in ~/Library/ - ~/Library/Preferences - ~/Library/Application Support etc.

Try trashing your preferences and support files located in ~/Library/ - ~/Library/Preferences - ~/Library/Application Support etc.

Solved the issue

How about when you are in a call? I find (at least with version 2.8) that when on a two-way video call Skype typically takes up 80-90% CPU (meaning almost one entire core).