Megaupload data could be deleted this week

Megaupload data could be deleted this week

US federal prosecutors say data from users of Megaupload could be deleted as soon as Thursday.

US prosecutors blocked access to Megaupload and charged seven men, saying the site facilitated millions of illegal downloads of movies, music and other content.

The company says its millions of users stored their own data, including family photos and personal documents. They haven't been able to see their data since the government raids earlier this month, but there has been hope would be able to get it back.

Megaupload hires outside companies to store the data, for a fee. But Megaupload attorney Ira Rothken said Sunday that the government has frozen its money.

A letter filed in the case Friday by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Virginia said storage companies Carpathia Hosting Inc. and Cogent Communications Group Inc. may begin deleting data Thursday. Spokespersons for the two companies and for the U.S. Attorney's Office did not respond to messages Sunday night.

The letter said the government copied some data from the servers but did not physically take them. It said that now that it has executed its search warrants, it has no right to access the data.

The servers are controlled by Carpathia and Cogent and issues about the future of the data must be resolved with them, prosecutors said.

Rothken said the company is working with prosecutors to try to keep the data from being erased. He said at least 50 million Megaupload users have data in danger of being erased.

Rothken said that, besides its customers, the data is important to Megaupload so it can defend itself in the legal case.

"We're cautiously optimistic at this point that because the United States, as well as Megaupload, should have a common desire to protect consumers, that this type of agreement will get done,'' he said.

Megaupload is based in Hong Kong. US authorities said they had authority to act because some of its leased servers are in Virginia.

The FBI is seeking to extradite founder Kim Dotcom and three other men from New Zealand to the US to face charges of conspiring to commit racketeering, conspiring to commit money laundering, copyright infringement, and aiding and abetting copyright infringement over the internet through the website Megaupload.

Source: NZ Herald

Rothken said that, besides its customers, the data is important to Megaupload so it can defend itself in the legal case.

I hadn't considered that idea. I thought it was illegal to destroy evidence for a current case?

[/font]

I hadn't considered that idea. I thought it was illegal to destroy evidence for a current case?

Only if it's evidence that helps the state/government/its agencies.

Only if it's evidence that helps the state/government/its agencies.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not...I really hope you're not.

Poster just forgot to add sarcasm tags, obviously. :laugh:

Pretty much right though.

Just to throw a spanner in the works. Are those companies who actually host the data not theoretically as guilty as Megaupload for the actual storage of copyrighted content? In the same warped logic that appears to be going on here at least...

Poster just forgot to add sarcasm tags, obviously. :laugh:

Pretty much right though.

the problem is, that is pretty much how it works though, if you destroy evidence that would of help prosecution watch out, but if somehow the defense gets evidence lost or destroyed its no big deal too bad cries the prosecutor

it's pretty pathetic how this whole case is happening. Legit users cant access their data and now run the risk of losing all of it. Guilty until proven guilty.

I still can't wrap my head around the idea that there are people who rely on a remote server not under their control to keep data that they appear can't live without.

it's pretty pathetic how this whole case is happening. Legit users cant access their data and now run the risk of losing all of it. Guilty until proven guilty.

If a legit user was storing their 1 and only copy of their data on "Megaupload", then they are / were a fracking idiot!

The Neowin user Mightymightyme must be quoted from the front page

I'm sorry but storing your important data in Megaupload is like putting your safe in the basement of your friend's house, that he just happens to sell meth out of. You can't be surprised when the place gets shutdown.

God that's funny! But it's also true. I mean there are plenty of services that aren't doing shady business on the side. Take carbonite for example. that site is made for off site backup , doesn't deal in offering illegal content and cheaper than a 1 year Megaupload subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

how about if they delete that data and there is private data (like radiographies, medic data, etc) and the ppl who paid for the service need it?

I guess hat's pretty much gone, that legit data is not gonna see the light of day ever again. At least that's what I heard...

Bad news for those who were using it for their legit stuff. But I do have to agree with warwagon that there are plenty of such services that are legit and that aren't doing any shady business on the side.

Probably if Megaupload played nice with the RIAA, the whole deal might not have gotten this far.

Hey guys, any new twist on the Megaupload story?

On a little side note, I was reading on the web last night on Megaupload alternatives and I also stumbled upon rumors on some interesting new technology from audials.com.

There was nothing else, just that a new technology or software from audials.com is going to provide us with a safe and legal alternative to megaupload and filesharing in general.

Got stuck in my head,I guess if the audials sharing technology rumor is not fake it definitely would be something worth taking a closer loog at.

Anyone else hear anything on this audials filesharing technology stuff?Is it real?