"Insect Proteins" as a Food Additive ?

It was recently announced that McDonald's, Taco Bell, and Burger King will stop adding "pink slime" to burgers. Pink slime is an ammonia-sterilized beef byproduct that has gotten bad press for passing as "100% beef" in ads.

You can be certain that the news means that food scientists have developed a new way to recycle beef byproducts back into hamburgers under the 100% beef banner, so that the chains can continue to offer cheap, fast food to the masses.

But, more to the point, pink slime demonstrates that modern food science has no "yuck" limits. It is therefore not hard to imagine the development of an insect-based food additive that enriches burger and nugget protein levels. Burgers with processed insect meal could be sold by chains under claims such as "higher in protein", "healthier fats", and "eco-burger".

The development of insect proteins as a viable food source will get a boost in 2012. With an eye towards food science jobs, the future of food safety, and commitment to progress, the EU has offered 3 million euros (about 4 million US dollars) for a research project with the objective to "exploit the potential of insects as alternative sources of protein."

The project is intended to contribute to the Millennium Development Goals, according to the UK Food Standards Agency (PDF, see point 4.11, which also suggests that only 1.5 million of the 3 million funding stems from the EU. The remainder probably derives from international funds such as the UN Food and Agriculture Organization).

Developing sustainable industrial-scale farming of insects would be immediately useful for people in countries where bugs already occupy a respected niche in the local diet. But it is difficult to imagine companies like McDonald's adding insect proteins to McMeals unless either (1) widespread public acceptance has been gained or (2) they can get away with it by giving the insect-derived food additive a benign name that the public does not associate with creepy crawlies.

more

alright, Ive been to a mcdonalds beef plant, and never saw this "pink slime" added to any beef, it basically was taken seasoned, formed and frozen, that was all that happened to beef.... no mysterious substance added to it

There are many cultures that eat insects. Also from a farming / culturing standpoint you can fit far more insects into a smaller area if you were to farm them. I see no harm in exploiting them as food as well. For the most part it should have a lower impact on the environment as well. (depending on which insects they are of course.

alright, Ive been to a mcdonalds beef plant, and never saw this "pink slime" added to any beef, it basically was taken seasoned, formed and frozen, that was all that happened to beef.... no mysterious substance added to it

Not sure about the beef but this is what Chicken nuggets look like before they are formed.

chicken_mcnuggets-pink-slime.jpg

I've worked in McDonalds, and the beef looked legit to me as well.

Haphazardly placed in a cardboard box? Please.

that is a sampling box (for testing)

Found the article, and now that I know this, chicken nuggets may get marked off my list of stuff to eat.

http://gizmodo.com/5...nk-chicken-goop

Why, Did you enjoy them? Then there is no problem. They are Safe to eat, they are Real meat. So I do not see a problem with it. In the end it is still Chicken, It is highly processed but its still chicken. (and soy)

There are many cultures that eat insects. Also from a farming / culturing standpoint you can fit far more insects into a smaller area if you were to farm them. I see no harm in exploiting them as food as well. For the most part it should have a lower impact on the environment as well. (depending on which insects they are of course.

Not sure about the beef but this is what Chicken nuggets look like before they are formed.

chicken_mcnuggets-pink-slime.jpg

uh they look nothing like that, the chicken nuggets are not a slurry, they are pieces of chicken real chicken not some paste

I'd expect Tyson chicken nuggets to be some ground up formed paste, their stuff is pure crap... wendy's is probably the 2nd worst offender, Burger King and McDonalds actually use real chicken pieces not ground up reformed chicken

http://www.snopes.co...prepare/msm.asp

The picture remains unverified but is noteably similar in apperance to mechanically separated chicken. Either way, it's nine years out of date.

yeah, I don't know why this lie keeps circulating, its almost as bad as the unrotting mcdonalds food, which is another twisted truth.... Mechanically seperated beef has been banned in the USA since 2003? well since mad cow diease started a comeback its been banned, so this definatly isn't happening in the USA

So basically, we're the frogs that eat a jar of flies.

:x