Daily Mail 'fabricated' anti-games article

Jd7lA.jpg

Several news outlets including the Daily Mail and BBC have been accused of "fabricating" an article claiming games are turning children into "zombies".

In its article headlined 'Stoned with tiredness: Generation of children are becoming zombies because of late-night gaming sessions, claims charity', the Mail states games such as FIFA 12 have caused a generation of children to become "living zombies".

Both the Mail - which often pushes an anti-gaming agenda - and the BBC quoted Robert Hart-Fletcher of charity Kids and Media as saying: "Gaming is a phenomenon that's been around quite a while. Now we are starting to see the effects in behaviour of young people.

"In the past people had genuine relationships with empathy and compassion which has been replaced by this virtual relationship where they are not necessarily having to show empathy or compassion. That's starting perhaps to change the way they interact on a day to day basis."

However, Hart-Fletcher has come out to claim the quotes attributed to him in the articles are 'completely fabricated', and that he's in fact a proponent of gaming for children, provided they're suitable and played in moderation.

"Our stance is that gaming, being in constant contact with friends and playing with other gamers around the world, is good for most kids most of the time," Mr. Hart-Fletcher told BeefJack.

"While people can over-use games or smartphones, they can over-use anything - and that's no reflection of the value of the activity."

Mr. Hart-Fletcher supposedly provided an MP3 file of the interview to prove the comments are indeed erroneous.

The BBC has since amended its story to "clear" up the comments, while the Mail story - complete with picture of man dressed as a zombie - is still live.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/333867/daily-mail-fabricated-anti-games-article/

The Daily Mail has turned so many readers into mindless drones it's not even funny any more. them and their good pals at the National Enquirer.

I've always liked it being referred to as the Daily Heil, moslty due to it being a supporter of the Nazi's back in the early 30's under Lord Rothesmere ;)

Papers get closed for hacking phones, but its perfectly acceptable to report on what is little more than made up bull ****?? Should this be against there code of conduct?

Not to mention that if I was the developer of a certain Football game Id be looking at making a case of slander. Mind you this is nothing new, the papers have been at this for years. I once heard that if something is said to have come from "sources" where no name is given or the attachment is vague, then chances are its been made up.

I've always liked it being referred to as the Daily Heil, moslty due to it being a supporter of the Nazi's back in the early 30's under Lord Rothesmere ;)

My Gran refuses to read it for the same reason, shes 90 and remembers Lord Rothesmere`s bs propaganda well.

I'm surprised the Daily Mail still operates, since it's about the only thing they haven't yet declared causes cancer. The list of links on that Facebook page of things that cause cancer to Daily Mail readers is fantastic.

It was the Daily Mail, the BBC and several other news vendors... Yet only the Daily Mail had it's name plastered all over the article..

The Daily Mail was the source of the fabrication. The daily mail has had an anti-gaming agenda for a long time. The BBC amended the story. Seems fairly obvious why The DM is being singled out.

Daily Mail lacking in journalistic integrity? I won't hear it!

But then on the flip side of that, it wouldn't surprise me if the message is fundamentally true... I know if I spend too long playing games I end up feeling an utter wreck.. can't over emphasise how much better I feel after a day outdoors, doing stuff, etc! I try limit myself to 1-2 hour sessions tops a couple of times a week!

Daily Mail lacking in journalistic integrity? I won't hear it!

But then on the flip side of that, it wouldn't surprise me if the message is fundamentally true... I know if I spend too long playing games I end up feeling an utter wreck.. can't over emphasise how much better I feel after a day outdoors, doing stuff, etc! I try limit myself to 1-2 hour sessions tops a couple of times a week!

The point the article was trying to make was that because of "virtual realities" people are losing compassion and empathy for others. You might feel wrecked after a long session, that is true of all of us, but I don't think it effects your humanity in anyway. You don't become amoral because of video games.

The Daily Mail was the source of the fabrication. The daily mail has had an anti-gaming agenda for a long time. The BBC amended the story. Seems fairly obvious why The DM is being singled out.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The Daily Heil... Heh heh good one.

As for their anti-gaming stance, just goes to show gaming is becoming more and more mainstream and acceptable.