Canada VS Australia to live in?

2. They're illegal because speeding is illegal. I don't know what the fines for them in QLD are.

Well as it always goes, just because I have a radar detector doesn't mean I will speed, at the same time just because someone who doesn't have a radar detector does not mean they won't speed. And it's not like people who drive wrecklessly won't be caught anyway, whether they have one or not. I've had one for the last 2 years or so, and I know many people who have one, and none of us drives like an idiot. It just helps you become more aware of your situation and speed limits, which, in my opinion, improves safety :p

I've never had a ticket before I got a radar detector and I've never had a ticket after I got one.

I think either would be really awesome to live in (I love Melbourne). I'm hoping to drive up to Vancouver at some point from Seattle to get a feel for things there. The only downside to Australia is really high taxes.

Disclosure: Aussie citizen.

I wish Canada had a right to 4 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks of sick days like they do in Aus. In Canada it is only 2 weeks and 3 weeks after 5 years with same job. Although its certently bette than USA where they have zero right to a paid vacation and is only allowed if the employer is "nice " enough to give you one.

But yea 4 weeks compared to 2 is alot more. But yea I was thinking Canda to although 4 weeks does sound nice.

Well you can find a better company to work for.

I have 4 weeks of paid vacation a year. I have 12 sick days.

Well you can find a better company to work for.

I have 4 weeks of paid vacation a year. I have 12 sick days.

Yeah, but they can cahnge that. Our laws state that you get 4 weeks minimum paid vacation leave + leave loading on top.

If it was warm enough, Canada appeals to me a bit more (even though it's still too American, maybe a bit French as well). Some of Australia still needs to grow up a bit more. Weather included though Australia wins hands down. A good compromise might be NZ actually?

Well as it always goes, just because I have a radar detector doesn't mean I will speed, at the same time just because someone who doesn't have a radar detector does not mean they won't speed. And it's not like people who drive wrecklessly won't be caught anyway, whether they have one or not. I've had one for the last 2 years or so, and I know many people who have one, and none of us drives like an idiot. It just helps you become more aware of your situation and speed limits, which, in my opinion, improves safety :p

I've never had a ticket before I got a radar detector and I've never had a ticket after I got one.

Aren't your highways in Calgary 110 km/h? How fast do you need to go lol? Only the highways on the outskirts of town here are at 100, most ones within the GVRD are 80 or 90 km/h and frankly tons of people drive like idiots here even at those speed (evidenced by the 50 or so redlight cameras within Vancouver proper already...)

So when are you moving to Antarctica?

Not sure if bad joke or trying to take shots at 2 great countries which is ironic given location.

Not sure if bad joke or trying to take shots at 2 great countries which is ironic given location.

Nah, its just a bad joke.

And nothing is wrong with given location, really. There ain't no irony

• 1 month later...

Great topic! I really like what you guys are saying about Canada. It would be a great place to live in. :)

P.S. Do you know any good job seeking websites in Canada (Preferebly in IT / Programming)?

Thanks in advance.

Great topic! I really like what you guys are saying about Canada. It would be a great place to live in. :)

P.S. Do you know any good job seeking websites in Canada (Preferebly in IT / Programming)?

Thanks in advance.

Well for websites there is Monster.ca, Workopolis, Rent-a-coder, etc. However a lot of cities have their own Job Centers/Websites. For example where I live we have BrantJobs, and the BrantfordJobBank. Along with that we also have the "St. Leonards Society".

Thanks a lot! I think it might be difficult for a guy from Europe to get a job in Canada. It?s expensive to fly over there for an interview and you are not even sure if you get the job.

In my case visa is not required but I must have work permission to work and live in Canada.

I know Australia has droughts to deal with but Canada could end up getting dragged down by the US. What are the upsides and downsides of living in Australia vs living in Canada? Which one would be a better place to live, and not just presently but in the long run. Which one will fare worse in the years to come? Where would you be better off.

I know Australia has better beaches and is warmer than Canada but the climate and stuff isn't the question here. I'm talking about where would you have more political, economic, and social freedom, with a higher quality of life, etc.

Also if anyone knows the comparison of the social programs of social safety net and healthcare. Maybe they are both very simular?

PS: I imagine if you ordered anything online that is not in Australia or NZ that the cost for shipping would be enourmous since it is so far away from the major power houses of North American and Europe. But then again I dont know thats why im asking :-).

hasn't happened yet (we have like the strongest economy in the world right now) and won't be any time soon.

Thanks a lot! I think it might be difficult for a guy from Europe to get a job in Canada. It?s expensive to fly over there for an interview and you are not even sure if you get the job.

In my case visa is not required but I must have work permission to work and live in Canada.

there's ton's of work (well depending on what field) in the vancouver area. the city is booming right now. but it's damn expensive... but the most gorgeous city in the world so you get what you pay for.

I wish Canada had a right to 4 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks of sick days like they do in Aus. In Canada it is only 2 weeks and 3 weeks after 5 years with same job. Although its certently bette than USA where they have zero right to a paid vacation and is only allowed if the employer is "nice " enough to give you one.

But yea 4 weeks compared to 2 is alot more. But yea I was thinking Canda to although 4 weeks does sound nice.

http://en.wikipedia....eave_by_country

http://20somethingfi...ivity-vacation/

i get that at my job... and i'm using my four weeks to backpack australia!

I wasn't going to bring it up, but it's friggin expensive in Australia.

it's cheap here and the best in the world comes from vancouver island

i will say this though, other than maybe montreal, quebec is NOTHING like the rest of canada (people wise). a lot of them think backwards over there on a lot of issues

Thanks in advance.

vancouver has tons of work related to that.

Canada's actually, uh, full.. so, it's gonna have to be Australia for you pal. Unless of course you are/have an attractive daughter that I can copulate with, please feel free, move to BC right away.

• Like 1

I wouldn't live in either but if I had to choose, id pick Australia,from the travel shows I've seen it looks pretty cool but i'm sure once you live there it will get boring just like every where else after a while.

Canada's actually, uh, full.. so, it's gonna have to be Australia for you pal. Unless of course you are/have an attractive daughter that I can copulate with, please feel free, move to BC right away.

Actually, I hear the Prairies aren't that full.

Canada (Preferebly in IT / Programming)?

Alberta is really pulling for people to move out there and work IT, a few years ago I read they would pay for you to move out there, pay for living and all that just so you would go and work there.

Alberta is really pulling for people to move out there and work IT, a few years ago I read they would pay for you to move out there, pay for living and all that just so you would go and work there.

but then you live in alberta, and trust me, you don't want to live in that province. prairies are SOOOOOOOOOOO depressing. and the size of their mosquitos is unreal.

but then you live in alberta, and trust me, you don't want to live in that province. prairies are SOOOOOOOOOOO depressing. and the size of their mosquitos is unreal.

My Sons mother has a friend who lives in Alberta. She was there visiting a couple years ago. She said aside from the bugs it's nice. The weather is way dryer, during the winter they use sand no salts so the cars have 0 rust on them. She wants to move out there, and unless I got a court order to stop her I'd be following her out there to ensure I can see my son. I've never been but I can imagine it's pretty desolate outside of the major cities (Edmonton and Calgary).

My Sons mother has a friend who lives in Alberta. She was there visiting a couple years ago. She said aside from the bugs it's nice. The weather is way dryer, during the winter they use sand no salts so the cars have 0 rust on them. She wants to move out there, and unless I got a court order to stop her I'd be following her out there to ensure I can see my son. I've never been but I can imagine it's pretty desolate outside of the major cities (Edmonton and Calgary).

edmonton is an ugly city. it's just terrible. calgary is a lot more urban but still meh compared to the east and west sides of canada. i have a lot of family in edmonton and have to go see them all the time... it sucks. but i may be bias cause i hate the snow... and i love that i have mountains, greenery and an ocean to look at whenever i want to.

edmonton is an ugly city. it's just terrible. calgary is a lot more urban but still meh compared to the east and west sides of canada. i have a lot of family in edmonton and have to go see them all the time... it sucks.

How is it ugly? Like appearance or? I've lived in Ontario all my life and it's very Urban here, especially with Cities like Hamilton, Burlington, Toronto all in close geographical area.

How is it ugly? Like appearance or? I've lived in Ontario all my life and it's very Urban here, especially with Cities like Hamilton, Burlington, Toronto all in close geographical area.

appearance. no real trees, no real lakes, everything is man made. it's just a flat place.