Canada, for the weed.

#32 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,942 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:51

Canada, for the weed.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but it's friggin expensive in Australia.

#33 jimboh1

jimboh1

Happy to be Here

• 321 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:04

"but Canada could end up getting dragged down by the US" What does that mean? Do you mean economically? If so, I'd say reconsider that... Canada has the strongest economy of the G8 countries and has done quite well coming out of the 2008 recession... but then again, I'm biased too! :D

#34 Amarok

Amarok

One. Three. FiVe.

• 1,773 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:15

Canada, for the weed.

Two beautiful and friendly countries and it comes down to drugs? Weird.

#35 kizzaaa

kizzaaa

Alumni

• 2,464 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:18

I have lived in Vancouver, Canada and Melbourne, Australia and currently live in Sydney, Australia.

Vancouver was an amazing place to live. Very peaceful, great ski resorts, good night life scene, lots of beautiful Canadian women. I only lived there for a year but would love to repeat the experience some day.

Melbourne is a good place to holiday, great place to shop, lots of great federation-style achitecture. However the crime in certain areas is very bad (worse than any other Australian capital city) and it's not somewhere I would like to live again.

Sydney is great depending on the region you live. There are several different regions in Sydney which feature different culture, pros and cons. Ideally, anywhere close to the city will give you access to great beaches, 1000s of cafes/pubs/restaurants, heaps of good tourist attractions, locals are generally friendly (avoid the Western Sydney!) and the local industries are prosperous. It can be an expensive city to live in, but it depends on your lifestyle decisions, bargain hunting regarding shopping and real estate etc.

Hope this small piece of info helps w your decision.

Sorry, I am a third generation Indian and 2nd gen Polish American. I have never visited India or Australia, that being said I have heard my neighbors says it is a racist and deeply divided country. I have never heard, how you guys about care about aboriginal saying positives stuff.

sorry, I don't have first hand knowledge of your country. If isn't true, then I am extremely sorry.

Really shouldn't comment without direct experience of a country. Racism is not something that exists only in Australia, and unfortunately divides are present in almost every country.

#36 basques

basques

hentai otaku

• 287 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:37

I had to make the same decision 5 years ago. Been living in Melbourne for 4 years now, few months left to become a citizen. Probably one of the best things I did in my life. I'm a computer engineer and I lived in Germany and Czech Republic as an expat before moving to Melbourne. Never been to Canada, but met many cool Canadians.

Melbourne is expensive, but you make that much money. You can basically order everything from internet and as long as it's under $1000, there's no import tax. Awesome wine. Also in Melbourne you have the 4 seasons, in winter it drops to 4-5 degrees at night. Well obviously I miss the snow but it's still ok.

#37 sworph

sworph

Neowinian

• 124 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:55

Awesome wine. Also in Melbourne you have the 4 seasons, in winter it drops to 4-5 degrees at night. Well obviously I miss the snow but it's still ok.

Yes been to Melbourne and you are right about the 4 seasons but all in the same day???? thats just weird!

#38 HardyRexion

HardyRexion

Neowinian

• 183 posts
  • Phone: Yes. Galaxy S4

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:03

There is much less wildlife that can kill you in Canada... :shifty:

#39 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,153 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:17

Car laws? I don't know what these are, I know the luxury car tax is one thing, but I don't understand what else is a problem.

Quite a number of things in my personal opinion. Your crazy licensing scheme (Like no turbocharged cars with a P license... honestly, modern cars aren't necessarily turboed to be even fast), you can't own radar detectors and laser jammers, etc. Actually with the 9 demerits and ~$1000 fine JUST FOR OWNING A RADAR DETECTOR (With your detector consificated, of course) is quite literally some of the most ridiculous laws I've ever heard. I can pretty much do a burnout in a school zone and speed 20km/h over and get caught and still be charged with less.

Meanwhille in 48 states in the US and 3 western provinces in Canada, owning these things are, funny to say, perfectly legal. And we don't have more accidents compared to Australia.

#40 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,942 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:42

Quite a number of things in my personal opinion. Your crazy licensing scheme (Like no turbocharged cars with a P license... honestly, modern cars aren't necessarily turboed to be even fast), you can't own radar detectors and laser jammers, etc. Actually with the 9 demerits and ~$1000 fine JUST FOR OWNING A RADAR DETECTOR (With your detector consificated, of course) is quite literally some of the most ridiculous laws I've ever heard. I can pretty much do a burnout in a school zone and speed 20km/h over and get caught and still be charged with less.

Meanwhille in 48 states in the US and 3 western provinces in Canada, owning these things are, funny to say, perfectly legal. And we don't have more accidents compared to Australia.

I don't know what state you base your laws on, but it's similar in QLD.

1. P platers can't drive. Simple. Don't give them turbos or V8's until they have learnt to drive. That's common sense, even if 4 and 6's can reach higher speeds.
2. They're illegal because speeding is illegal. I don't know what the fines for them in QLD are.

#41 kizzaaa

kizzaaa

Alumni

• 2,464 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:14

Your crazy licensing scheme (Like no turbocharged cars with a P license... honestly, modern cars aren't necessarily turboed to be even fast),

That is not true -- it is conditional and usually quite leanient for P plate drivers with a decent record.

I am on P-plate based license and own and drive a turbocharged Cruze 2011, which also has performance-enhancement modifications. The NSW government gave me approval in 48 hours.

I don't know what state you base your laws on, but it's similar in QLD.

1. P platers can't drive. Simple. Don't give them turbos or V8's until they have learnt to drive. That's common sense, even if 4 and 6's can reach higher speeds.

I love generalisations... I could talk about how dreadful every single car mechanic is in Queensland, because not a single car on the road in QLD has a working set of indicators.

#42 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:19

I know Australia has droughts to deal with

Australia is not in drought anymore. When we were in drought it did not have an effect on our everyday lives in capital cities, only water restrictions like not being able to water your lawn every day or wash your car with a hose using the city's water supply (use a bucket instead). Food prices were not that bad. The only the problem was when the price of bananas went through the roof, but that was because of a tropical cyclone not because of drought.

#43 monkey13

monkey13

Neowinian

• 1,481 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:03

Australia for me.

Was there for a while (Adelaide, Sydney and up he gold cost a bit). Everyone is so nice. I was the standard suspicious brit at first. People talk to you when you go in shops or you are doing things and at first I was very dismissive of it and kept thinking "What are you after". Then I just worked out that they were all just relaxed. Then I relaxed.

The Mrs was just laughing as at the end I was practically turning Aussie. People would ask me how I was doing and I would say "Beautiful" No idea why. Soon as I came back here it stopped. I just found it to be infectious over there.

Plus the diving, plus the weather, plus the fact that both me and the Mrs would get paid twice as much and be able to have a bigger house with a pool and things. If it wasn't for other stuff tying me to the UK I would move in a heartbeat. We'd have no problem getting visas.

All right I have never been to Canada but it would have to be impossibly good to beat Australia.

#44 lemonbear

lemonbear

Neowinian

• 468 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:11

Canada...even though I'm from Australia.

#45 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,942 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:22

That is not true -- it is conditional and usually quite leanient for P plate drivers with a decent record.

I am on P-plate based license and own and drive a turbocharged Cruze 2011, which also has performance-enhancement modifications. The NSW government gave me approval in 48 hours.

I love generalisations... I could talk about how dreadful every single car mechanic is in Queensland, because not a single car on the road in QLD has a working set of indicators.

Of course it's a generalisation. P Platers are learning to drive. They need to learn before they should be unleashed into stupid fast cars.

Oh, and all the mechanics in my UltraTune store check and replace any bulbs that are out.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!