for long term stability.

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#46 kizzaaa

kizzaaa

Alumni

• 2,464 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:07

Of course it's a generalisation. P Platers are learning to drive. They need to learn before they should be unleashed into stupid fast cars.

Oh, and all the mechanics in my UltraTune store check and replace any bulbs that are out.

It was a joke. I was hinting that all QLD drivers are crap. :p

#47 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• 7,956 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:38

I was born and lived in Central Queensland, Australia all my life and I'm now 30 year old. We had minor drought issues but it's not major. Not 100% of Australia have drought issues. Some areas are rich in resources, even those in the outback (they get the water from the basin which is under the land.

Only the areas between Sydney and melbourne gets snow. all the rest doesn't get snow. I have never seen snow yet but we do get torrential rains and cyclones infact December to March are when we get good rain. Some years, we don't get much but others like the floods last year. If you are up in Queensland, it is cool (unlike what people think of Australia as dry and hot which is not always true). We do have winter which has temps as low as -5'C (my area)

Everything here is expensive compared to the other countries. We have capped internet, though some isps are now selling unlimited broadband, it is still expensive. We do not have problems with food unless we experience our own disasters. But we balance it out by having a higher income salary than some other countries.

What you hear about dangerious animals here is very sterotypical. As long as you exercise caution, you won't have any problems. I'm sure other countries have their own problems of dangerious animals. Even if you do get bitten or stung, we have best health care. I know because my parents works for the health dept of qld government. Death from those animals are extremely rare. You would have to be very stupid to get bitten or stung.

We drive on the left side of the road and the driver sits in the seat right side of the car. If you see so many 4WDs (what USA call SUV), don't complain because they are extremely popular espeically out in the bush or outback.

I do not know about immigration and Canada as I have never left Australia.

Remember that Sydney is NOT the only city in Australia, there are thosounds of other towns and regional cities that do really well. I live near Rockhampton and I get everything I need from there. What I can't get from there can be ordered online.

So Australia is not so bad and I really enjoying living here. Just most of the ups and some downs just like all the other countries.

#48 OP nukenorman

nukenorman

Neowinian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 13:06

Thanks everyone your for your thoughtfull imput. Have learned alot.

#49 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 13:06

So when are you moving to Antarctica?

#50 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,488 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 13:15

And that's the ballgame gents :p

Well played Muhammad :p

#51 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,155 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 16:13

2. They're illegal because speeding is illegal. I don't know what the fines for them in QLD are.

Well as it always goes, just because I have a radar detector doesn't mean I will speed, at the same time just because someone who doesn't have a radar detector does not mean they won't speed. And it's not like people who drive wrecklessly won't be caught anyway, whether they have one or not. I've had one for the last 2 years or so, and I know many people who have one, and none of us drives like an idiot. It just helps you become more aware of your situation and speed limits, which, in my opinion, improves safety :p

I've never had a ticket before I got a radar detector and I've never had a ticket after I got one.

#52 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• 4,410 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 01 February 2012 - 16:15

I think either would be really awesome to live in (I love Melbourne). I'm hoping to drive up to Vancouver at some point from Seattle to get a feel for things there. The only downside to Australia is really high taxes.

Disclosure: Aussie citizen.

#53 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,980 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 16:23

I wish Canada had a right to 4 weeks paid vacation and 2 weeks of sick days like they do in Aus. In Canada it is only 2 weeks and 3 weeks after 5 years with same job. Although its certently bette than USA where they have zero right to a paid vacation and is only allowed if the employer is "nice " enough to give you one.

But yea 4 weeks compared to 2 is alot more. But yea I was thinking Canda to although 4 weeks does sound nice.

Well you can find a better company to work for.

I have 4 weeks of paid vacation a year. I have 12 sick days.

#54 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,025 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:25

Well you can find a better company to work for.

I have 4 weeks of paid vacation a year. I have 12 sick days.

Yeah, but they can cahnge that. Our laws state that you get 4 weeks minimum paid vacation leave + leave loading on top.

#55 kcbworth

kcbworth

Neowinian

• 70 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 17:49

If it was warm enough, Canada appeals to me a bit more (even though it's still too American, maybe a bit French as well). Some of Australia still needs to grow up a bit more. Weather included though Australia wins hands down. A good compromise might be NZ actually?

#56 vetPink Floyd

Pink Floyd

Neowinian Senior

• 13,254 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:41

Go in Australia, they have kangarous over there and it's damn cold in Canada. Well today wasnt that bad in Montreal

#57 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• 11,412 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:01

Canada for sure

#58 trek

trek

7 / X

• 2,928 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:19

Well as it always goes, just because I have a radar detector doesn't mean I will speed, at the same time just because someone who doesn't have a radar detector does not mean they won't speed. And it's not like people who drive wrecklessly won't be caught anyway, whether they have one or not. I've had one for the last 2 years or so, and I know many people who have one, and none of us drives like an idiot. It just helps you become more aware of your situation and speed limits, which, in my opinion, improves safety :p

I've never had a ticket before I got a radar detector and I've never had a ticket after I got one.

Aren't your highways in Calgary 110 km/h? How fast do you need to go lol? Only the highways on the outskirts of town here are at 100, most ones within the GVRD are 80 or 90 km/h and frankly tons of people drive like idiots here even at those speed (evidenced by the 50 or so redlight cameras within Vancouver proper already...)

#59 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• 3,119 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:54

So when are you moving to Antarctica?

Not sure if bad joke or trying to take shots at 2 great countries which is ironic given location.

#60 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:07

Not sure if bad joke or trying to take shots at 2 great countries which is ironic given location.

Nah, its just a bad joke.
And nothing is wrong with given location, really. There ain't no irony