Help setting up my Android Tablet for work use

Hey fellas :)

I bought a HP Touchpad during the fire sale quite a few months ago (32gb version) and have been putting Android on it since i first could.

I am currently running CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich) on it, and it is simply amazing. I want to get it better set up for work, so that i can take it out on the field and still have access to documents that i may need, or to remote in to our server so that i can update my jobs from afar.

We keep a bunch of Clients network notes (I'm a computer technician) on our server, which we access from our work PC's when we need to update, create or read them. So this folder is \\gtesbs\company\computer client network notes. I assume to access this folder from my Touchpad whilst out and about, i would need to create a VPN to my work network, and also have a file manager that supports browsing remote networked servers.

I obviously would also get Quick Office Pro HD so that i can open and edit the excel and word files as required, so i need to be able to open them in that (or an alternative).

This would mostly be done using the internet sharing feature on my WP7 phone (wireless hotspot), or from any WiFi points that i manage to hook on to.

So, experts, How do i do this? How do i make it so i can access this folder from anywhere, and open and edit the documents inside.

Saving the files locally and syncing them back is not really an option.

Cheers in advance for any and all replies. I am happy to pay for apps that are required.

From inital browsing through the market place, it looks like there are multiple office suites, and multiple file browsers. Which ones would suit my needs best? I really like the look of Quickoffice Pro HD, but there may be better alternatives.

Not sure how big your company is, and if you have one, etc., but if you do, I would highly recommend going to the IT department and asking them what you need to do to VPN in, etc. If you are the IT department, than carry on. :laugh:

Not sure how big your company is, and if you have one, etc., but if you do, I would highly recommend going to the IT department and asking them what you need to do to VPN in, etc. If you are the IT department, than carry on. :laugh:

Haha, we're an IT support organisation :p we do all of the network management for the majority of local business, including places like the City Council and stuff. I'm relatively junior though, still learning a lot of it. Noone in our computer department know anything about Android anyway, so they won't be much help. They can definitely give me the VPN details, but i'm not sure if thats going to be enough to do what i want to do.

*bump*

Surely this isn't an odd request? Lots of tablets are getting picked up by business people, all i need is access to a file server via VPN. Once i get there I'm sure i'll be able to open and modify the documents inside with an Android office suite of some sort.

Why dont you just loads these documents on to google docs or for microsoft use your skydrive.

Both will allow you to have the docs were ever you are on any machine without the need to install software on any device.

Why dont you just loads these documents on to google docs or for microsoft use your skydrive.

Both will allow you to have the docs were ever you are on any machine without the need to install software on any device.

Because they're part of the company drive that is shared with a bunch of other people, i want to be able to view and edit documents directly from this drive, not try and keep them in sync both through the cloud and on my device.

It's kind of funny, eh, that the people selling the hardware didn't think about how you'd actually use it once you bought it?

More funny, eh, is you didn't think about it before you bought it.

/me sits back, connects wireless via tether and RDP's into my PC desktop.

It's kind of funny, eh, that the people selling the hardware didn't think about how you'd actually use it once you bought it?

More funny, eh, is you didn't think about it before you bought it.

/me sits back, connects wireless via tether and RDP's into my PC desktop.

Didn't think about what, a $99 tablet running the latest and greatest Android? I was never going to pass up on that, even if I can't set this up exactly how i want it, it's still more than worth it for the other things i use it for. I certainly didn't buy this Tablet originally for work use.

And currently i DO remote in to my computer to access and update things. It's just not as nice or as native as i would like :(

Heres another thought, Could i set up a local dropbox sync between my desktop computer and the file server, which then goes to the cloud. So i can open the document through my dropbox storage on my Tablet, edit it and whatnot. It will then sync back to the cloud, to my folder on the desktop and to the file server?

I have a work desktop at all times pretty much, so there is no issue with setting up a program such as dropbox on it.

Couldn't you use an SMB Share?

After a little bit more research it looks like a VPN + EStrong File Explorer will do what i want it to do (maybe). The only unknown is if it will let me edit the files directly, or if i need to download them to my device first..

Will give it a crack tonight, keep the suggestions coming peoples! :)

If you choose to use sync/dropbox you should check your company's policy on that, as it's kind of a third party.

Give Splashtop a go, it's an excellent application to have anyway.

Also look at the options on Goodreader (if you can get that application on Android).

After a little bit more research it looks like a VPN + EStrong File Explorer will do what i want it to do (maybe). The only unknown is if it will let me edit the files directly, or if i need to download them to my device first..

Will give it a crack tonight, keep the suggestions coming peoples! :)

VPN to work network + Astro File Manager + SMB Plugin = Success!